Learning how to lay a bike down ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Learning how to lay a bike down ?

So in conversation with my son we were talking about a racing video we had watched and a crash that happened when this guy high sided
in a High speed turn exit .

We kind of wondered how do these racers train to crash or lay a bike down other than the obvious.

It's not like you can just go test theory out.

I've been riding bikes for nearly 40 years and never had to lay one down. Not sure I would know what to do...

so how do you learn this skill ? Trial and error ?
BAD NEWS....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

i'd rather learn how to keep a bike upright

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
True but there are situations where you would want to lay the bike down and slide off (push off) from it.

This is not a natural reaction. You have to be thinking ahead to be able to execute this reaction in mere
milliseconds.

If a large truck pulls out in front of you from a side street you do not want to take your head off going under the trailer
or the truck frame. You would want to drop it on it's side and slide under.

Being brakes and tires on bikes are better than ever in most cases we do not have to resort to these moves.
Still how do they learn how to do it. Wreck a bunch of bikes ?

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i'd rather learn how to keep a bike upright
I agree. Why would someone learn how to wreck on purpose? I would suggest taking a course from a well trained instructor. In the many classes I've taken or taught, learning to "lay her down" was never discussed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Regardless of the nevers, it could be that you life could be spared . Yes road rash would be a bitch, but alive
to tell about it. Those racers are not driving in traffic, They are running full out and crashes happen. Sometimes
very ugly and sometimes not so much.

But information lives out there that explains this action of properly laying it down.

What got us was how the hell would you practice or train for this. Maybe crash footage where the instructor
says (Now see that guy going down his with leg is under the bike Don't do this )...

Tank slappers also get things out of whack in a big hurry and can put you down.
Eating asphalt does not taste good...

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Garage
I think like this

When and How to Lay Down Your Motorcycle ? Motorcycle Central
But I only have 5 1/2 decades at it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Yeah I already looked that tid bit over as well as mixed comments from other blogs and rider sites. About 75% against and 25% for it.

I also heard that a simulator exist for road racers that has a movie video screen in front and a hydraulic operating motorcycle that
simulates the angle in the turns as well as laying it down.

Remember the stores like Fields and JC penney back in the 70's
used to have that old car driving simulator that was like the dash of an old ford and a steering wheel, gas and brake pedals.
We always ran over the woman pushing the shopping cart or the kid
running across the street to get the playball.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 AM

As best I can tell, "laying the bike down" is exactly the same as a low-side crash. If you don't want to get into a low-side crash, you don't want to "lay your bike down." The usual way it happens is locking the rear brake, which will make the rear slide out unless you are very lucky or very good. I personally think the root cause is the car-trained reaction of stomping the pedal to stop in an emergency. I think the CanAm Spyder took the right approach by eliminating the front brake control and using the pedal to apply all braking.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Garage
i wouldn't lay her down unless i was heading for a cliff. anyway laying it down i very simple,just lock the rear wheel while turning the forks to the stops and you'll low side the motorcycle. it's usually best to just shave off as much speed as possible with the brakes to lessen the impact force. once you lock the wheel you won't be able to steer anymore here's an article that can help..Myth: Laying Down a Motorcycle to Avoid Injury | Clay Dugas and Associates

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 PM

I ended up laying down my first bike.

I was going down a road with new pavement on a hot summer day. Normal pressure on front and back brakes cause the rear tire to lock up and next thing I know, I am headed for the guardrail at about 30 mph.

The locked rear slid out and the bike's two tires were pointed toward the guardrail.

This situation kicks in the "time is slow" factor, so I remember going through the mental math of my options. I chose to lay it down and then used the pegs and seat to launch myself away from the bike, in effect slowing my speed relative to the road.

I had a little road rash, but most of the slide was absorbed via my boots, jeans, leather jacket and metal watch band.

I'll never forget the event (happened over 15 years ago and I can replay it clearly whenever I wish)

The point is on the "time is slow".

I would focus on motorcycle safety and not worry about the sliding part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode