Your advice on this purchase?.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Your advice on this purchase?....

-->I hope this thread is appropriate...I'm new enough that I may be missing where this should go, or whether there's already a thread I missed. If so, mods please feel free to move this

I'm new to bikes, and I have become somewhat addicted quickly. I own an 02 VStar 650 Custom. I DO love it, but would like MORE!

I am looking at an 85 Virago 700 as a light winter project to have some fun with, then sell to make some more $$ for the next bike/project. This bike looks to be in generally good shape. It runs but sputters out when revved too high. I suspect that the carbs need to be cleaned. If such a bike can be had for short dollars, are any of you familiar enough with this model to say it's worth spending a few hours on, or otherwise say "stay away?" I appreciate your input!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 AM

Garage
Hi fF,
I'm building a bobber over the winter out of a 96' XV750 Virago myself. Engines are pretty stout on the Viragos, and they are the Star motorcycle line predecessors for Yamaha. I've had no problem finding parts, and they were reasonably priced. Riding it home was a blast. Felt like it was a feather weight compared to my 950t. If you're slightly mechanical, they're easy to work on. This is a photo of mine before the tear down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Hi fF,
I'm building a bobber over the winter out of a 96' XV750 Virago myself. Engines are pretty stout on the Viragos, and they are the Star motorcycle line predecessors for Yamaha. I've had no problem finding parts, and they were reasonably priced. Riding it home was a blast. Felt like it was a feather weight compared to my 950t. If you're slightly mechanical, they're easy to work on. This is a photo of mine before the tear down.

Nice! And I do like the fact that these V Twins are supposed to be fairly decent. When it comes to being "mechanical," I'm one of the guys that always took a language rather than shop class in school, but I've also been known to do a break job or fix the power steering in my jeep or repair a snowthrower by tinkering until I understand it. Basically, if I don't have to buy "special tools," I'm happy to try it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
I'm similar in that way as well. I'd suggest getting a repair/shop manual, they're a huge help, and if you start a teardown, bag and tag even the small stuff. That cuts down on your rebuild time. Good luck and keep us posted. Once I'm done, I'll post pics. I'm rattle canning everything I'm repainting, and bought several parts thru ebay, Amazon, and motorcycle websites.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm similar in that way as well. I'd suggest getting a repair/shop manual, they're a huge help, and if you start a teardown, bag and tag even the small stuff. That cuts down on your rebuild time. Good luck and keep us posted. Once I'm done, I'll post pics. I'm rattle canning everything I'm repainting, and bought several parts thru ebay, Amazon, and motorcycle websites.

I can't wait to see it!

*looking up 'rattle canning'.....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage
Just means I'm spraying the paint with the rattle spray cans that you shake, like Krylon, etc. This is how the swing arm assembly came out over this past weekend.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
There are a lot of the Virago's out there and in a lot of different CC'S too. But I don't think you can make much money* by bobbing them out.
You have to do it for the love and fun of it.

* only the Dealer makes money
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
I agree farmlldanzil, I'm going to ride my project for business purposes and for the sheer love of motorcycling.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
There are a lot of the Virago's out there and in a lot of different CC'S too. But I don't think you can make much money* by bobbing them out.
You have to do it for the love and fun of it.

* only the Dealer makes money
I, for sure, would not be trying to make a bobber. Just get it running as well as possible, looking as good as I can, then have fun riding it around with a "for sale" sign on it. If purchased for $300, would anticipate selling as a running, inspected and registered bike for under $1k. To be sure, it would all be about fun, and the $$ that comes back would be for the next one
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to ride my project for business purposes and
And would that be for fast getaways ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode