taking photos of your bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By nick57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

taking photos of your bike

hello all. this is a public service announcement.
just kidding.
but i would like to talk about taking photos of motorcycles and sharing them online. specifically, how to improve photos of your bike. any tips you think would be helpful to others, please share here. there are tons of photos of motorcycles on this site, and tons of great looking bikes. and it brings a tear to my eye whenever i see an incredible machine in a poorly taken photograph. i am by no means a professional photographer, but i'd like to see everyone improve their abilities of taking simple photos of their bikes so that these kickass machines can be properly shown off. so here are some simple tips that i think everyone can apply with no matter where you live or what kind of camera you use.

1)contrast/blurriness
make sure that photo isn't blurry. i think this should go without saying, but blurry photos do end up online. when you're taking photos, go ahead and snap a few extra shots. cuz if you just take one, then when you get back home and go through the trouble of downloading/uploading and posting and THEN find out that the only photo you took is blurry, you're probably not going to feel compelled to go back out and redo it.

2)angle of bike
feel free to get creative here. there's nothing wrong with just standing back a couple feet and snapping a quick photo, but i don't feel this shows of your bike as well as it could, and it looks like little effort was done to try to show it off. try out different angles. try squatting down a tad to get a more horizontal shot. try shots from the other side of the bike. some from slightly behind or slightly in front to get different perspectives. you may surprise yourself.

3)background
i think this is probably the best way to show off your bike, or not show it off as i've found. again, nothing wrong with snapping a quick pick of your beautiful ride as it sits on the driveway, but wouldn't it look so much prettier or cooler if, instead of your neighbors' driveways and lawns surrounding it, you're on the side of a winding highway? or a pretty park or landmark is framing your bike? something scenic and not ordinary. obviously, we can't always take off on a cross-country road trip at any time just to take pretty pictures, but i'm sure everyone can find some place where they live that has a much more inspiring background to frame your bike than the local grocery store's dumpster.

4)play with the different photo features on your camera/phone
even older phones/cameras have some photo editing/taking options. explore them. play with them. use different filters or lighting. you'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make.

that's all for now. and again, you don't have to be a professional by any means to take a good shot of your bike. i'm certainly not. but i think these are some very simple things that everyone can do to take better photos and better show of these beautiful machines no matter who you are, where you are, or what equipment you have. and if any of you have any more basic hints, please share.

here's a short video that has even more ideas. and ignore what he says about needing a good camera. the best photo i've ever taken of my bike was with my old HTC EVO 4G phone in 2010.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 01-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 PM

i got two good tips thank u
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Try this mod on your bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453175613698.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	54002  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

Go crazy with the camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453175645009.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	54010  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

I had conjoined stryker
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 PM

Garage
Great tips. Drives me nuts when I see pics of a bike that have a ton of stuff going on in the back ground. If you take pics with your Smart Phone get an app like Snapseed that allows for some quick editing. You can crop out stuff that might be undesirable in the background, and then play with shadows and other features like lens blur, etc. You can take an average photo and make it pop.

Here is a random pic I took before some simple editing with snapseed on my Galaxy Note 4:

And afterward:

I know it is not a bike, but you get the idea of what can be done.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i spent too long looking for the bike in the photo

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:07 PM

Garage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode