What Brand Gas you using? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What Brand Gas you using?

Has anyone noticed difference in how the engine runs on gas from different stations?

Last week (wed) I fired up the my V-star 1300 after it had sat for about 1 month without running, full tank of 89 octane from Costco. For the first time in the year I have owned it, it ran weird at idle, stalled a bunch at low speeds and had trouble running in the lower RPM range. I did not have time to really diagnose it because I had 200 miles to go. At cruising speed around 70-80mph it felt great, but at lower speeds I had to keep it in a low gear to keep the revs up. I had a full tank, so I stopped about 110 miles in and filled up with Chevron 91 octane and added some injector cleaner, after about 30 or 40 miles the sputtering went away and was completely gone when I got to my destination. Had no issues at all on the way home and topped off with some chevron 89 octane. Took it to work again on Thursday (70-80 miles round trip) with no issues and did a small ride with the wife on Friday (30 miles...) with no issues.

My 2003 FZ-1 which is a bit more finicky had been giving me issues with starting, and always needed a while to warm up lest it stall randomly when cold, and then would run great once warmed up. I kept thinking it was carb issues so i would run cleaner in the tank once a month and the issue would clear up for a while. A Friend recommended I stop filling up with Costco and use Chevron and all my problems went away after a few tanks. I ride my FZ almost everyday for work so I put in 2-3 tanks per week. In the last few months I have had zero issues with starting and stalling, runs like a champ and does not need to warm up, just power her up and take the choke off and she is purring just fine. I only run Chevron 97 octane.

Anyone else noticed this? I still fill up my car and truck at Costco, because gas is still expensive here in California, even with all time barrel price lows gas is about $3.00 per gallon. My car and Truck never show any signs of running rough on the Costco stuff, but apparently the Bikes motors are more sensitive to variations in the quality of gasoline?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Garage
Interesting Klurejr. In my bikes I strictly run ethanol free fuel. In the cars we run Murphy gas, available at the Kroger food chains w/o any issues. The Yamaha mechanic I use urged me to use ethanol free as it won't eat gaskets on fuel injected engines. Once a month I try to run ethanol free thru cars to keep the fuel systems clean. It does cost more for ethanol free, around $3 a gallon here, however after my Kroger card discount, I only paid $1.27 a gallon yesterday when I filled up my wife's car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Interesting Klurejr. In my bikes I strictly run ethanol free fuel. In the cars we run Murphy gas, available at the Kroger food chains w/o any issues. The Yamaha mechanic I use urged me to use ethanol free as it won't eat gaskets on fuel injected engines. Once a month I try to run ethanol free thru cars to keep the fuel systems clean. It does cost more for ethanol free, around $3 a gallon here, however after my Kroger card discount, I only paid $1.27 a gallon yesterday when I filled up my wife's car.

One is unable to buy Ethanol Free fuel in California, at least not that I know of short of buying some high octane race fuel at $9.00 per gallon. All Gasoline sold here must be 10% Ethanol.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:54 PM

Garage
I had a similar experience with Shell gas a few years back. I now use Chevron 87 octane in my Roadstar unless I have no other choice. A little more expensive, but worth it IMO. I also use Costco gas in my car without any problems, I've just never used it in my bikes.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
Sorry you can't get ethanol free in cally. I'm fortunate to have two stations in my county to choose from. I can tell a difference between ethanol and non-ethanol in my bikes, even on the carb'd Virago.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM

I burn whatever is at the closest station when I need gas. Bike and cars the same way. Granted I have never bought Cosco fuel but I have never had any issues related to the gas in any vehicle I have ever owned. I have the exact same experience with different octanes as well. No noticeable difference in performance be it regular or premium.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM

In all my motorcycles, small engines, etc, Shell V Power Nitro... Zero ethanol.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Garage
i rotate between regular and premium, so i'm usually running a 50/50 mix. the only ethanol free around here is at the marinas and i'ts usually twice the price. if you keep ethanol fuels fresh you shouldn't have problems. fuel starts separating after 30 days. in the old days of leaded fuels it lasted for years in the storage tanks. always buy fuel at high volume brand name stations when ever possible.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 01-28-2016 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM

Garage
I honestly believe that 99 & 44/100% of all the testimony's of gas brands , octane and ethanol---are pure old bull sheets.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Having worked at an oil refinery I know that all gas enters the same pipelines, no mater who makes it; but, when they are distributed to the stations each company blends in it's own chemical additives. My bike has carbs and I prefer non ethanol gas which is also what I run in all small engines that I own. Regardless, I am surprised that you had trouble after only 1 month of the bike sitting up and especially with a full tank.

LoupGarou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode