fuse keeps blowing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

fuse keeps blowing

So the other day I got on my bike, yamaha v-star 1100. Started it up and it drove just fine.. Parked it, came back to it, got on it, started it up again. It started perfectly and ran for like 2 seconds then went completely dead. Head light off, couldn't see reading on the odometer just dead as a board... So i got a trailer got it back to my house figured no power so i went strait to the battery.. The battery is good and well plenty of power.. After i started to check wires and make sure everything was plugged in and all was well.. When i was checking things i checked the fuses.. Found that one had blown.. Thought to my self sweet i think i found the problem. went and bought some fuses. the 30s. plugged it back in hooked the battery back up, turned the key and still nothing. The fuse blew the second that i hooked the battery up.. So i tried to put another fuse in and it also blew immediately.. I assume i have a short somewhere but i can't find where. Has anybody else had this problem? I need to know where to go from here so i can get power back to the bike? If i unhook the wire that comes off the negative wire attaching to the battery then part of my bike has power.. However the second that i hook it back up the fuse blows..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM

you are on the right track. you have eliminated 1/2 of the problem. now you need to trace the bad wire until you find the proble. if you have a manual look into the wiring section and start tracing wires until you locate the short or piched wire. patience is the key to solving this problem. good luck dsv
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM

similar problem

went to town,everything was just fine,started back and it was like someone turned off the key or kill switch,I have power to everything but the ignition system,no starter or anything, is there a main ignition fuse I can look for before I haul it to the dealer for probable costly repairs that I dont really need? you know how dealers are,lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Short

There is a ignition fuse, ignither fuse, and a main fuse. Been a few years since I worked on my 1100 and my service amnual will not open but will try to help some. The fuses are udder the seat and behind the pannel on the left side of the bike. Near where the tool box is. 7 fuses all together.

If you have an Ohm meter you can use it for testing rather than blow fuses untill you find the short. The fact the fuse blows right away sounds like a dead short to ground. Be sure you have the right fuse. the main fuse is a 30 amp fuse. If you are using an Ohm meter disconnect the battery and measure to ground from the positive lead. To blow a 30 amp fuse you will be reading less than a half Ohm.

Either way meter or not remove all but the main fuse. Turn off any thing you can turn off. Disconnect anything you can disconnect. You cannot find a short if it can be anywhere. Put the main fuse back in. We know the short is after the fuse because the battery did not blow up. Now begin to bring things back on by installing a fuse and making a test ofter each fuse. If the main fuse blew before you reinstalled any other fuses or devices then the trouble is between the main fuse and the rest. I suspect an option or something has been installed because you are blowing the main fuse not one of the smaller fuses after it that should have blowen first. Or one of the other fuses is the wrong size.

If you have instlaled the main fuse and it did not blow then start installing the rest one at a time. Check for a short after each change. When the short shows up or the fuse blows check that circuit. I think the main fuse is under the seat and the rest on the left.

Good luck
Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM

found my probem

I FOUND MY PROBLEM,yep was a fuse but not the one i might think,it was a ten amp for the ignitons and not the 30 amp main fuse but here's one for ya,on the fuse panel ,it has listed a 15 amp fuse for a cab heater.Where in the hell is the cab for my bike and where is the heater switch,might come in handy since winter is rolling in,lmao/////////
Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
There is a ignition fuse, ignither fuse, and a main fuse. Been a few years since I worked on my 1100 and my service amnual will not open but will try to help some. The fuses are udder the seat and behind the pannel on the left side of the bike. Near where the tool box is. 7 fuses all together.

If you have an Ohm meter you can use it for testing rather than blow fuses untill you find the short. The fact the fuse blows right away sounds like a dead short to ground. Be sure you have the right fuse. the main fuse is a 30 amp fuse. If you are using an Ohm meter disconnect the battery and measure to ground from the positive lead. To blow a 30 amp fuse you will be reading less than a half Ohm.

Either way meter or not remove all but the main fuse. Turn off any thing you can turn off. Disconnect anything you can disconnect. You cannot find a short if it can be anywhere. Put the main fuse back in. We know the short is after the fuse because the battery did not blow up. Now begin to bring things back on by installing a fuse and making a test ofter each fuse. If the main fuse blew before you reinstalled any other fuses or devices then the trouble is between the main fuse and the rest. I suspect an option or something has been installed because you are blowing the main fuse not one of the smaller fuses after it that should have blowen first. Or one of the other fuses is the wrong size.

If you have instlaled the main fuse and it did not blow then start installing the rest one at a time. Check for a short after each change. When the short shows up or the fuse blows check that circuit. I think the main fuse is under the seat and the rest on the left.

Good luck
Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Carb heater

I think that is the Carburetor heater. (Carb heater.) the heaters are screwed into the carburetors. The book says they should measure 6 to 10 ohms, removed. There is also a relay also. Doesn't seem like this fuse should have sut down the entire bike? Be sure you have all the fuses in the correct place and the correct value.

You are going to need a manual or some help.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode