Just replaced pads..should I change fluid? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Just replaced pads..should I change fluid?

Never bled brakes on a bike before. I did have to compress the caliper a bit and I did not notice any fluid from the res.

Should I still bleed them? I can get my hands on a vacuum bleeder. I read something about bleeding the master as well as the caliper. Is this true that you have to do both?

Just wanna make sure I do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Garage
open the reservoir if the fluid is dark change it, you can put a hose over the bleeder screw open it and put the end in a recovery vessel then pour new fluid in the reservoir ( don't let it go dry ) until it runs clear out of the hose. sometime it will gravity feed and sometime you have to squeeze the lever to get it going. on mine i sucked the fluid up with a baster so i could clean the reservoir sight glass. the reservoir was really dirty also. don't fill it above the sight glass or you'll have a mess when you install the cover. brake fluid is an oxidizer so wash it off quickly if it gets on anything. brake fluid dissolves in water so have some nearby for a washdown when you finish.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 01-29-2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 PM

You don't HAVE to change the fluid but it probably wouldn't hurt. FWIW, unless you open a bleeder screw and allow air into the system, changing pads does not require bleeding the system.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM

It depends on the last time you changed it. Yamaha recommends a complete brake fluid change every 2 years on most cruisers. If it's been longer thn that.....it's time to drain, fill and bleed with new fluid. ...especially if you are in a climate with humidity.

I try to do it every other year, since brake fluid absorbs moisture, it can lead to pitting.....fortunately I live in AZ with very little moisture in the air, so I could probably go longer. I usually just end up doing something on the bike that requires bleeding...so I just dump all the fluid and add new.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 01-29-2016 at 06:22 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vstar View Post

Should I still bleed them? I can get my hands on a vacuum bleeder. I read something about bleeding the master as well as the caliper. Is this true that you have to do both?

Just wanna make sure I do it right.
Yes, changing the brake fluid is required maintenance every two years by Yamaha, in fact almost every motorcycle brand that I know of, including my new bike.

I was on a vstar 1300 (2 up) in the mountains of NC and had rear brake failure on a mountain road due to not changing the fluid, it wasnt a lot of fun coming down the mountain with just front brakes, that was when I learned it was required maintenance. Brake Fluid attracts moisture and as it builds up, water, water boils when hot, creates vapor lock and then no brakes, brakes do start working again once it cools down which I learned at the bottom of the mountain. Also moisture will take a toll on your calipers/master cylinder over time.

I'll NEVER forget that day, I tried my best to keep my cool, keep control of the bike and keep the bike on the road, more so for the sake of my wife/passenger on the back of the bike. I honestly could not be sure of what the outcome was going to be, if we would make it to the bottom of the mountain, more so if the front brakes went out after losing the rear. You can bet I will always do the 2 year required brake fluid change.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 01-30-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I pulled out the old fluid, it was pretty dark and I used a pump at the do caliper to pull the air out. Once its together im gonna do another bleed for the hell of it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I pulled out the old fluid, it was pretty dark and I used a pump at the do caliper to pull the air out. Once its together im gonna do another bleed for the hell of it.
Yes, its amazing isnt it? you dont realize how dark it gets, after replacing it (depending on brand I guess) mine was so clear you couldnt see the fluid in the window, had to look for the bubble at the top of the glass.

I always follow the maintenance manual however for some reason, Yamaha (at least on my vstar) had the required 2 year brake fluid change in the "Notes" section at the very tail end of the whole maintenance schedule and was something I never bothered to read.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 02-09-2016 at 07:21 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
brake fluid is very corrosive i think it gets contaminated from stuff that it has dissolved like the reservoir and hose. it would make a great paint stripper although i'v never seen it used for that. the weird thing about brake fluid is that it dissolves in water so its definitely not oil based like regular hydraulic oils are

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Side note..went for a ride Sunday. Apparently I did not do a good job of cleaning and lubing the caliper. I noticed the wheel was semi hard to rotate. Also getting a small squealing on higher speeds. Once I unbolted the caliper the wheel spun nice and free.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Personally it sounds fine to me based on what you wrote but of course no way to know unless being there, if doubts have a qualified person check it. Disc brakes have some resistance.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode