my speedo is NOT 10% off - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

my speedo is NOT 10% off

so as most of you know by now, if you own a production cruiser, your speedometer is actually reading out about 10% lower than your actual speed. at least at speeds above 50mph. but i've always suspected that mine was more 'accurate', at least when i found this out. and, i don't know if this has any bearing, but i started taking notice after i changed out my exhaust, intake, and added a fms. i haven't changed out my pulleys or gearing or anything like that. my rear tire is a 180 whereas the stock tire was a 170 with the same aspect ratio.

i've previously run through those speed signs that tell you your speed at various speeds and then looked down at my speedometer and either be right on the button or just a couple mph off. usually this has been at slower speeds like 30-50mph. maybe it was human error, maybe that sign was off, maybe our speedos are dead-on at those speeds, or whatever, but it wasn't very scientific conclusions.

then i got my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle in 2014. i was clocked at about 70mph and i KNOW i wasn't going much faster than that, if at all (i was either in a 55mph or 60mph zone). then this past weekend i went through multiple speed signs with the digital outputs. with my speedo reading at or very near 70mph, the signs would display 67 or 69. again, not a scientific reading, but very telling. and if my speedo were truly 10% off as everyone else's seems to be, my needle would have needed to be near 75 to get those readings, right? is anyone else's speedo more accurate than others? does my bigger tire make the difference?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
so as most of you know by now, if you own a production cruiser, your speedometer is actually reading out about 10% lower than your actual speed. at least at speeds above 50mph. but i've always suspected that mine was more 'accurate', at least when i found this out. and, i don't know if this has any bearing, but i started taking notice after i changed out my exhaust, intake, and added a fms. i haven't changed out my pulleys or gearing or anything like that. my rear tire is a 180 whereas the stock tire was a 170 with the same aspect ratio.

i've previously run through those speed signs that tell you your speed at various speeds and then looked down at my speedometer and either be right on the button or just a couple mph off. usually this has been at slower speeds like 30-50mph. maybe it was human error, maybe that sign was off, maybe our speedos are dead-on at those speeds, or whatever, but it wasn't very scientific conclusions.

then i got my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle in 2014. i was clocked at about 70mph and i KNOW i wasn't going much faster than that, if at all (i was either in a 55mph or 60mph zone). then this past weekend i went through multiple speed signs with the digital outputs. with my speedo reading at or very near 70mph, the signs would display 67 or 69. again, not a scientific reading, but very telling. and if my speedo were truly 10% off as everyone else's seems to be, my needle would have needed to be near 75 to get those readings, right? is anyone else's speedo more accurate than others? does my bigger tire make the difference?
The tire has alot to do with it. Just like on the stryker and raider. It comes with a 210 and when the 240 is added the speedo is pretty close to accurate.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:40 AM

My V-star 1300 Tourer was 5-6mph off from speedo indicated speed to actual (GPS) speed. However the Stratoliner is only 2-3 miles per hour off. Both speedos read higher than GPS measured speed.

On tires of the same aspect ratio the side wall gets taller the wider the tread is. 170mm x 70% = 119mm - 180mm x 70% = 126 mm. Therefore it will change your speedometer reading. See the link below for a tire calculator that will give speedo changes up to 65mph

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

If you don't have a GPS on your bike there are smartphone apps that will give you a GPS based speed. On the iPhone side one of the apps is called SPeedHUD.

And there is a tire size calc app for iPhone called Tyre Size Calculator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire calc.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	54674  

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes

Last edited by tigrzeye; 02-02-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 AM

Garage
my 650 is off 3-5 mph depending on speed it gets more accurate the faster i'm going according to my gps.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
my rear tire is a 180 whereas the stock tire was a 170 with the same aspect ratio.

does my bigger tire make the difference?
Yes. The Speedometer works on how fast the wheels are spinning, so with a taller tire, the wheel is spinning faster than with a shorter tire, and this changes the readings at higher speeds, anything about 60mph usually. The same is true on cars and trucks, Lifting a truck and putting bigger/taller tires on it will certainly change your Speedometer.

You can always take it to a calibration shop to have it Calibrated to the size tires you plan to run on it.

Side note, any reason why you changed from 170 to 180 for the rear? Did you have to modify the fender to keep it from rubbing?

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
Yes. The Speedometer works on how fast the wheels are spinning, so with a taller tire, the wheel is spinning faster than with a shorter tire, and this changes the readings at higher speeds, anything about 60mph usually. The same is true on cars and trucks, Lifting a truck and putting bigger/taller tires on it will certainly change your Speedometer.

You can always take it to a calibration shop to have it Calibrated to the size tires you plan to run on it.

Side note, any reason why you changed from 170 to 180 for the rear? Did you have to modify the fender to keep it from rubbing?
don't most speedos run off the front wheel? on cars they usually run off the transmission so changing the rear tire size will change the ratio in the drive line. on my 650 i can't see how changing the rear tire size would affect the speedo because the ratio of rpm to road speed on the front wouldn't change. am i looking at this the wrong way. or am i correct?

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 PM

Garage
Unless you have a Cable on your Forks, the Speedo is attached to your Drivetrain which powers the rear wheel.

But now that has me thinking, I will have to check where the Speedo is connected on both my bikes to be sure.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM

Garage
The 650 is driven by cable on the front wheel and speedometer will changed with tire size.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:

it's not a big difference. mostly because it looks better having a wider tire on the back. an added benefit is a wider contact patch. there was no modification needed for my fender.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:

If you are surprised on one size up check out the Stryker and Raiders from 210 to 240 or 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode