The Secret to Enjoying Cold Weather Rides - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

The Secret to Enjoying Cold Weather Rides

My personal minimum for cold weather riding is 45 degrees. Being a Minnesota girl I have to do what I can to extend my riding season for as long as possible. Few tips on how to enjoy the chilly weather and extend your riding season.

The Secret to Enjoying Cold Weather Rides - Leader Motorcycle Store
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

i'm surprised your minimum isn't lower since you Minnesotans are used to cold weather
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM

The coldest I ride it is about 2*c or 35*f . I both my bike and the wife's are set up for cold weather riding. I recommend a fairing with lowers and highway bar chaps. the least amount of wind getting at you, the longer you can ride without getting to cold and fatigued. The fairing gives great hand protection from the cold. Wearing multiple layers is key, you can always take it off, you can't put on what you don't have.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 AM

When I was much younger and lots dumber, I rode to work (~ 18 miles) in 19 degree weather. No leather, no heated stuff, 3/4 helmet with a shield. Every time I remember that ride, my fingers and toes start to hurt again! Now - I have a heated vest under my leather jacket, battery heated gloves, full helmet, leather over-pants. Around 32 is usually my limit in the AM - if it's going to warm up later in the day.

Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM

I had a guy pass me on interstate 95 one evening last week. It was in the low 20s and he was hitting about 70MPH. He appeared to just be wearing a basic leather jacket and chaps. No fairing or even a windshield. Have no idea how he was doing that.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 PM

Garage
hoodie under my leather, sweat pants under my jeans, felt bandana for mouth and nose with open face helmet with shield down and good gloves 35 degrees no problem. never ride below freezing because the frost risk is to high when you live near the ocean like i do. it's the nighttime temps that make me put the bike up for winter, i don't want to change the oil to a low weight for an extra month of riding

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-25-2016 at 05:41 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Yikes!
Years ago I wouldnt ride if the daytime high wasnt forecast to hit 70, as the years wore on, I got to the upper 60s, lows 60s ... and just this winter, I have been going out for short rides if its above 58 or so. *L*

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Snowmobile suit, surplus airforce sheepskin mittens and good boots with wool socks. When we had the side car on we rode all winter when the bike would crank over. Now Much below 30 degrees and I give up, getting old I guess.

1911 Like a Glock but for MEN
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:09 PM

For me I find that layers (and my heated gloves) do the trick. I ride whenever it is safe to do so regardless of the temp. I let the beard grow a bit longer this year. I had some scary moments with a scarf last year. As long as there isn't a high chance of snow accumulation, I am on the bike. I live in NC, so we don't get much snow, but I have ridden to work and had to ride in flurries when I was on the way home. Talk about being scared. Besides, motorcycle parking is so much easier to find in the cold weather if you live in a place without crazy amounts of snow and ice
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogiedaddy View Post
For me I find that layers (and my heated gloves) do the trick. I ride whenever it is safe to do so regardless of the temp. I let the beard grow a bit longer this year. I had some scary moments with a scarf last year. As long as there isn't a high chance of snow accumulation, I am on the bike. I live in NC, so we don't get much snow, but I have ridden to work and had to ride in flurries when I was on the way home. Talk about being scared. Besides, motorcycle parking is so much easier to find in the cold weather if you live in a place without crazy amounts of snow and ice
people ride snow mobiles in super cold temps at some pretty fast speeds so really a motorcycle would be the same thing if road conditions permits riding, so if you wan't bundle up anything is possible
leadthepack and leadthepack like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode