crazy motorcycle laws - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

crazy motorcycle laws

Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence
Highway Safety Code

after passing written, eye, and road tests, you get an M1 license with restrictions including:
1)ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)

2)not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655

3)always drive alone - you may not carry passengers

4)You need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test. Your M1 license is valid for 90 days. If the license expires, you will need to start over. After you pass the M1 road test, you get an M2 license. You can now ride at night and on any road. After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M license.

Except during the practical session of the Société's proficiency examination, the holder of a learner's license (anything less than the full M license) must, when driving a motorcycle, be accompanied by a person on a separate motorcycle, who has held, for at least two years, a valid driver's license authorizing the driving of a motorcycle and who is able to provide assistance and advice. Penalties include impounding the bike and 4 points on your driver/rider permit.

Singapore: https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/P...-and-2%29.aspx

Certificate of Entitlement (COE) | Vehicle Quota System | Owning a Vehicle | Roads & Motoring | Land Transport Authority

before obtaining a full motorcycle license, you must:
1)obtain and hold a class 2B (under 201cc) for 1 year, then
2)obtain and hold a class 2A (201cc - 400cc) for 1 year.
3)each upgrade and class is only earned after enrolling in and passing the driving test for each license. that's 2 years and 3 full motorcycle classes

http://dollarsandsense.sg/how-much-y...pores-average/

i haven't found exact license fees, but numerous reports found that the total costs (course plus license fees) of the 2B license is somewhere between SGD$500-$800. it gets more expensive from there. a LOT. i just couldn't find any factual sources. currently, the exchange rate is $1 Singapore = $0.71USD. and currently the median salary in Singapore is SGD3,770 (monthly).

to actually own a motorcycle or other vehicle, one must register it and obtain a COE (certificate of entitlement) for either a 5-year or 10-year term in which you BID against others for your price!! like an auction!! the only source i could find of actual COE prices (Should I Ride A Motorcycle In Singapore? ? Empty Vessel) quoted between $4,000 and $6,500. this is the cost of the title for your bike, aside from what you actually pay for the machine to purchase it.

so the cost of actually owning and operating a full sized motorcycle cruiser in Singapore is somewhere south of owning a Porsche in the US.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 02-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence
Highway Safety Code

after passing written, eye, and road tests, you get an M1 license with restrictions including:
1)ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)

2)not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655

3)always drive alone - you may not carry passengers

4)You need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test. Your M1 license is valid for 90 days. If the license expires, you will need to start over. After you pass the M1 road test, you get an M2 license. You can now ride at night and on any road. After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M license.

Except during the practical session of the Société's proficiency examination, the holder of a learner's license (anything less than the full M license) must, when driving a motorcycle, be accompanied by a person on a separate motorcycle, who has held, for at least two years, a valid driver's license authorizing the driving of a motorcycle and who is able to provide assistance and advice. Penalties include impounding the bike and 4 points on your driver/rider permit.

Singapore: https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/P...-and-2%29.aspx

Certificate of Entitlement (COE) | Vehicle Quota System | Owning a Vehicle | Roads & Motoring | Land Transport Authority

3)each upgrade and class is only earned after enrolling in and passing the driving test for each license. that's 2 years and 3 full motorcycle classes

How much do you need to earn to be above Singapore?s "average"?

i haven't found exact license fees, but numerous reports found that the total costs (course plus license fees) of the 2B license is somewhere between SGD$500-$800. it gets more expensive from there. a LOT. i just couldn't find any factual sources. currently, the exchange rate is $1 Singapore = $0.71USD. and currently the median salary in Singapore is SGD3,770 (monthly).

to actually own a motorcycle or other vehicle, one must register it and obtain a COE (certificate of entitlement) for either a 5-year or 10-year term in which you BID against others for your price!! like an auction!! the only source i could find of actual COE prices (Should I Ride A Motorcycle In Singapore? ? Empty Vessel) quoted between $4,000 and $6,500. this is the cost of the title for your bike, aside from what you actually pay for the machine to purchase it.

so the cost of actually owning and operating a full sized motorcycle cruiser in Singapore is somewhere south of owning a Porsche in the US.
i wonder if you can get licensed in an easier place then transfer to the PITA place

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM

Garage
Let's not forget the Quebec way of doing it. You go and get your class 6R license from the DMV and the you must take a basic course given by a certified driving school. This course has 6 hours of classroom instruction followed by 16 hours of closed circuit training then 10 hours of riding with an instructor. Once this is done, you go and get tested on your driving skills on a closed circuit track to get your 6A class. Then you get to ride your bike with an experience rider of more than 2 years for 11 months, winter months count, then back to DMV for the final road test to get your full license. When all said and done, you're looking at a $1300 adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Australia does something similar.

I actually think this is a good thing, force new riders to start on a smaller displacement bike for a while before they move up.

I live in Oceanside, right next to Camp Pendleton. Every year new Marine's come to base and there is a huge motorcycle Store near my house that sells tons of Sport bikes to these guys that are 18, 19 or 20 years old. They can walk in there with just a permit, buy a 200hp Super Bike and ride it home. That in my opinion is a very dangerous thing for the riders.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode