remote engine kill - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
remote engine kill

i found this remote controlled relay on ebay i'm thinking of connecting it to the ground wire on the side stand if someone jacks the bike you can shut it down up to 500ft away a lot cheaper than buying a whole alarm system to have a remote engine shut off 12V DC 500 ft 0V Dry Output Wireless on Off Remote Control Relay Switch RP100P | eBay

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Insure it and forget it imo. If you kill the motor they will likely wreck, so your bike will be damaged and in today's litigious world, the perp will probably try to sue you.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM

Garage
I wouldn't put much stock in it, as the most preferred way to steal a bike is a roll-a-way. I think a rotor
lock might be better. But I don't think about it at all. Getting it stolen that is.
I think that these are more for Dad to put on the kids 4wheeler's maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
I wouldn't put much stock in it, as the most preferred way to steal a bike is a roll-a-way. I think a rotor
lock might be better. But I don't think about it at all. Getting it stolen that is.
I think that these are more for Dad to put on the kids 4wheeler's maybe?
my thinking was what if a guy put a gun on you and takes the bike at a gas station or the like, with this gizmo on the bike your chances of recovery are better. i have an alarmed disc lock but i don't use it if the bike in my line of site. i have full insurance coverage but i have doubts that they would pay the full replacement cost, plus i wouldn't have a bike for quite sometime waiting for payment and then even more time shopping for a replacement. my bike is the only transportation i have so losing it would hurt me more than most riders. safety is getting worse every day in metropolitan areas. but i'v seen bikes jacked in rural areas also just not very often.

Last edited by pauli466; 03-21-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
Insure it and forget it imo. If you kill the motor they will likely wreck, so your bike will be damaged and in today's litigious world, the perp will probably try to sue you.
i rather see it wrecked than see them get away with it, broken parts can be replaced my whole bike can't

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
i rather see it wrecked than see them get away with it, broken parts can be replaced my whole bike can't
You must have one of those ultra-rare 650s
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
my thinking was what if a guy put a gun on you and takes the bike at a gas station or the like, with this gizmo on the bike your chances of recovery are better. i have an alarmed disc lock but i don't use it if the bike in my line of site. i have full insurance coverage but i have doubts that they would pay the full replacement cost, plus i wouldn't have a bike for quite sometime waiting for payment and then even more time shopping for a replacement. my bike is the only transportation i have so losing it would hurt me more than most riders. safety is getting worse every day in metropolitan areas. but i'v seen bikes jacked in rural areas also just not very often.
So he has a gun... Takes off on your bike.. You kill the motor. Is he less likely to shoot you since you let him take the 500ft joyride?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
You must have one of those ultra-rare 650s
after 16 years it's irreplaceable to me. never broke down once i'll bet the 80.00 motorcycle specific remote kill is the exact same thing and most of em won't reach over 300 ft. i was just trying save people some money that were looking into a remote kill switch's, it sound's like i shouldn't have even bothered. i'v also figured out how to install a real oil pressure gauge on a 650 not an oil temp gauge an actual pressure gauge if anyones interested.

Last edited by pauli466; 03-21-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
So he has a gun... Takes off on your bike.. You kill the motor. Is he less likely to shoot you since you let him take the 500ft joyride?
by the time he figures out what happened he ain't gonna find me or the controller. only a fool would stay visible holding the controller. maybe you'd stand there holding it, but i'd get out of site or get inside the store were people are

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
after 16 years it's irreplaceable to me. never broke down once i'll bet the 80.00 motorcycle specific remote kill is the exact same thing and most of em won't reach over 300 ft. i was just trying save people some money that were looking into a remote kill switch's, it sound's like i shouldn't have even bothered. i'v also figured out how to install a real oil pressure gauge on a 650 not an oil temp gauge an actual pressure gauge if anyones interested.
I'm just busting your chops. I used to be more possessive over my vehicles. My last crotch rocket had an alarm with a pager remote and immobilizer and in retrospect it was totally unnecessary. I think I've graduated to the train of thought that most material items are replaceable. I have a cwp to help keep myself safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode