Wiring the light bar and passing lamps. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Wiring the light bar and passing lamps.

Planning on installing the Yamaha light bar & passing lamps.

Like some feed back wheather I should wire them into the high beam wiring or keep them on a direct circuit.

Like to have some feed back from my fellow riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 AM

Garage
In some states it's not legal too run them on high?? I didn't run more wires, I just added a blade/crimp to the hot wire
end and inserted it into the low beam from the back side of the connector.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that info. I'm not sure what the laws are here in Florida regarding passing lamps. With all the old farts down here who cannot see, I want to be as visible as possible.

Thanks again for your feed back.

Happy Trails and Ride Safe.

Detroitoutcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitOutCast View Post
Thank you for that info. I'm not sure what the laws are here in Florida regarding passing lamps. With all the old farts down here who cannot see, I want to be as visible as possible.

Thanks again for your feed back.

Happy Trails and Ride Safe.

Detroitoutcast.
they're supposed to be wired to the low beam but i wired mine to the high beam so they're not on all the time which puts a strain on electrical system. i was thinking about moving the on/off switch to where i can reach it while riding and wiring to correct low beam position. i'll never understand why they put the switch on the passing lamp bucket where it dangerous to reach while riding. if you run the passing lamps in city traffic when the carb heaters are on the stator doesn't have the power to cover the load. passing lamps are for others to see you not for you seeing the road better

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-01-2016 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 PM

I wired mine into the little toggle switch on the left driving light. That way I can switch it on or off with the high beam when and if I want. I really like them on with the high beams when riding at night.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
I wired mine into the little toggle switch on the left driving light. That way I can switch it on or off with the high beam when and if I want. I really like them on with the high beams when riding at night.
you don't feel uneasy reaching over to switch it. on mine the windshield makes it very difficult to reach that switch. i pointed my right one more to curb and the left one down the middle. the right one really helps to spot critters that may jump into the roadway. i wish there was a vertical adjustment to get the beam a tad lower but mine only adjust horizontally.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

you could put them on high and then angle them down so that the beam isn't directed upwards towards anyone's eyes

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the very good points. I agree with Pauli466, my main motive in installing them is for these old blind farts here in Florida can see me.

I also agree with the others that the location of the on/off switch on the passing lamp can be a danger. I've sent an e-mail to Kuryakyn to see if they can just sell me the handle bar switch instead of the whole harness with relay (their part no. 2202). I'll post their reply here for others to be informed. I may just go the route with the relay, hopefully lessening the load on the system.

I'm also installing the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlamp for more lighting and hopefully lessen the load on the system.

Again, thank for all the helpful feed back and info.

Happy Trails and Ride Safe
Detroitoutcast
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
you could put them on high and then angle them down so that the beam isn't directed upwards towards anyone's eyes
the only way angle them down is to bend the mounting bracket, there's no vertical adjustment built into the oem passing lamps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode