Switchback LEDs in Turn Signals - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Switchback LEDs in Turn Signals

I know some aren't fond of the lollipop turn signals but there's a classical look to them so I decided to keep them and instead find some LED bulbs. I realized that they serve as DRLs as well as signals, making them the perfect candidate for switchback LED bulbs. For anyone not familiar, these are bulbs that shine white when in DRL mode and flash amber (or other colors) when the signal pulses.

A couple of quick notes
  • There are different types of switchback bulbs. Type A alternates between amber and off during signals. Type B alternates between white and amber when signaling.
  • Not all LED bulbs are created equal. I originally went with some, what appeared to be, high quality bulbs on ebay and they didn't work correctly. Their sequence was jacked up (as in the first 2-3 flashes were amber/off and then switched to amber/white). I had ordered Type A bulbs. The final bulbs I'm using are from superbrightleds. They have never let me down, but are a bit more expensive... but still cheaper
    than buying bad bulbs and having to replace them.

The bulbs I'm using are $15/ea. Here's the link for Type A and Type B. I went with Type B this time.

There's a video on their site showing the difference since I'm too lazy to post one. Next post will have some pics at least.

2011 V Star 950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Pics as promised...

Stock signal.

Amber filter pops out, then remove the standard 1157 bulb (this pics shows the other "bad" bulb that I replaced)

Empty socket

LED in place

DRL mode

Right turn signal flash
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.

2011 V Star 950
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 AM

Pretty interesting. Might consider a set myself.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
I know some aren't fond of the lollipop turn signals but there's a classical look to them so I decided to keep them and instead find some LED bulbs. I realized that they serve as DRLs as well as signals, making them the perfect candidate for switchback LED bulbs. For anyone not familiar, these are bulbs that shine white when in DRL mode and flash amber (or other colors) when the signal pulses.

A couple of quick notes
  • There are different types of switchback bulbs. Type A alternates between amber and off during signals. Type B alternates between white and amber when signaling.
  • Not all LED bulbs are created equal. I originally went with some, what appeared to be, high quality bulbs on ebay and they didn't work correctly. Their sequence was jacked up (as in the first 2-3 flashes were amber/off and then switched to amber/white). I had ordered Type A bulbs. The final bulbs I'm using are from superbrightleds. They have never let me down, but are a bit more expensive... but still cheaper

The bulbs I'm using are $15/ea. Here's the link for Type A and Type B. I went with Type B this time.

There's a video on their site showing the difference since I'm too lazy to post one. Next post will have some pics at least.
Thank you SO much. Custom dynamics has something that costs $60. I was considering getting this. - So you had to install a load equalizer? I want to do this. I just put tinted lenses on so now I need brighter bulbs.

I just bought regular amber bulbs from Walmart for now.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:49 PM

Garage
I don't know why I bought the tinted covers. May end up putting the clear back on. Just wanted to make it look different.

I definitely want those same bulbs. Is there a thing else I need to buy? A relay controller thingy? Or load equalizer?

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 04-23-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaMassGirl View Post
I don't know why I bought the tinted covers. May end up putting the clear back on. Just wanted to make it look different.

I definitely want those same bulbs. Is there a thing else I need to buy? A relay controller thingy? Or load equalizer?
Hey sorry for the delay. You have 3 options really... No load equalizer but the bulbs will flash at a higher rate and potentially out of sequence with the rears, install inline resistors, or swap out the signal relay for the bike. The bulb itself is self-contained so it does the switch logic on its own. I think the relay is a better and easier solution if you don't want hyperflash, and that's what I diD.

2011 V Star 950
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey sorry for the delay. You have 3 options really... No load equalizer but the bulbs will flash at a higher rate and potentially out of sequence with the rears, install inline resistors, or swap out the signal relay for the bike. The bulb itself is self-contained so it does the switch logic on its own. I think the relay is a better and easier solution if you don't want hyperflash, and that's what I diD.
Thank you! I ordered these almost instantly after I saw your post. Figured I would get any additional components afterwards, if necessary.

I should be adding the Run turn brake system before this mod but I went and got those smoke lens covers. Stupid actually, because I would like to increase my visibility. But I will be anxious to see what they look like with the new LEDs in place.

Thanks again. Like I said custom dynamics has something for $60 or $70 on their site that does the same thing. It's a flat insert with multiple leds that is plug in play to the feed that comes into signals. But not as "plug and play" as a bulb!

When I'm smart I wear my hi-viz neon yellow running vest over my jacket at night. But lights on the bike are always easy, and always "cool".
bofa and bofa like this.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:

A couple of quick notes

Thank you so much for sharing. I just installed the bulbs. Pic shows new bulb on left as you're looking at the pic. The right had the stupid tinted lens with Amber bulb.

Night and day difference!

I want to do the brake turn signal mod in the back. I will get a load equalizer then. But for now, the flash isn't TOO rapid. I can live with it.

Thanks again. Love this! And only $15 each.
bofa and bofa like this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaMassGirl View Post
Thank you so much for sharing. I just installed the bulbs. Pic shows new bulb on left as you're looking at the pic. The right had the stupid tinted lens with Amber bulb.

Night and day difference!

I want to do the brake turn signal mod in the back. I will get a load equalizer then. But for now, the flash isn't TOO rapid. I can live with it.

Thanks again. Love this! And only $15 each.
Nice - glad you like them. When you get ready to address the flash, the relay is a lot easier. It involved removing the oem flasher relay box, removing the wires from the harness, and connecting them to a basic $5 signal relay that you can get on Amazon. If you need any help let me know.

2011 V Star 950
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Garage
One of my bulbs quit on me. I want to buy a replacement but wonder if I should get a resistor/equalizer/relay... or something. Almost looks like I see a tiny bit of corrosion at the base of the bulb. Too much juice?

I don't know. I loved having these bright white running lights in. I put some amber bulbs in for now.

I'm sad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode