Decided to go down on my 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Decided to go down on my 950

First time letting one go down. Not sure all what happened, but there's a skid mark about 100 feet before the turn, an easy turn I've taken numerous times. So maybe an animal? There was also a couple there, and they moved my bike, and left when the cops came. All hearsay to me, so who knows what happened.

Went down Saturday night leaving a wedding on my way back to work, woke up Sunday morning. Don't remember any of it, but at least I was wearing full gear. Helmet looks like the bike went on top of it. I think the bike went end over end. I went into a ditch. Nothing major wrong with me, luckily! 4 stitches above my right eye, some fractures in my forehead and upper head. Face looks like Mike Tyson did a number on me, and a road rash tramp stamp on my lower back and sore shoulder and a bruised lung. But other than that I'm ok!

Everything is done on the insurance end for totaling out the bike. Just gotta figure out what I'ma get next I guess Would love a FJR1300, but can't really afford one of them, maybe a FJ-09. Not quite the protection I'd like though. Might go with a 90s GL1500 too. I dunno, I still feel like crud so I won't be getting anything for a bit anyway.

Wear your gear folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0521162022.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	59018   Click image for larger version

Name:	0521162023b.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	59026   Click image for larger version

Name:	0522160731.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	59034   Click image for larger version

Name:	0521162022c.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	59042  

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Sorry to hear this. Glad you say you are ok but it still sounds like you got pretty beat up. Even with a helmet on you had fractures and cuts? That must have been a strong impact and not remembering the accident is really scary. Hope you get better quick. Keep is updated.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:35 PM

Wow man, glad your ok to tell about it. And that would really suck not remembering what happened. Feel better soon.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:40 PM

Garage
MSP, I'm with everyone else in expressing my relief that your injuries were not any worse. The areas that you don't remember now will return. Don't beat yourself up on you could have done differently, rejoice in the fact that you'll ride again no matter what bike you choose to get. Thanks for sharing this with us, and God's speed on your recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 PM

Garage
a wedding you say hmmm were you maybe drinking a little, i would think something was in front of you to make you lock it up, 100 ft of skid is a lot in a turn surprised you kept it on two wheels even that long. usually skidding in a turn will instantly low side you. anyway feel better soon and remember that helmet probably saved you from being a plant in a bed for the rest of your life. i always get flack for wearing a helmet in a state that doesn't require one but someday it might just be the difference between being a plant or riding on

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-27-2016 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 PM

Hopefully your recovery is fast and complete. From the looks of things you are very fortunate to be here giving us this account of your incident. Safety gear is just that, safety gear, good for you. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 PM

Garage
maybe you leaned really hard and something hit the ground and levered the wheel into a skid. when you feel up to it look to see if any hard parts hit into ground the 950 has terrible ground clearance to begin with, pay attention to bracket under the floor board for grinding marks

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I dunno, the bike is already gone, I'm just waiting for the check. Both my floor board brackets have more than just grinding marks, I scrape those on a fairly regular basis. I know the limits of that bike. I would not have even began to initiate a lean I was so far away from the turn. Something ran out, or someone was coming the other way in my lane. Only two options that make sense to me. Which makes me mad, cause I received a ticket for "failure to maintain control" or some such nonsense blanket statement, when no one was there to witness it.

I dunno guys, no idea what happened. I'm a good rider, took both the MSF basic and advanced courses, I've rode a lot. I've ridden all the wonderful mountainous twisty two lane back highway roads Arkansas has. Only thing that would make me lock up would have been an animal, or someone in my lane. Now the caveat is, I'm sure I was going faster than I was supposed to, but that bike isn't massive, it slows down pretty quick and easily w/o locking up. And drinking wasn't a factor, I left work, arrived at the wedding, and was there long enough for the ceremony, and was headed back to work.

But its is or was, whatever it was. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'm lucky to have been wearing my gear. Just gotta go buy more now! Oh, and a new bike

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:31 AM

Garage
Interesting you received a ticket as there were no witnesses or unknown contributors. In my state, ms, unless an officer witnesses the wreck, no citations can be issued unless it's been proven that alcohol/narcotics or driving on suspended/revoked drivers license, and that apparently weren't the issues. Get well first, however I'd fight the citation so it doesn't go on your record and cause any issues with the insurance company down the road, just a suggestion mind you. Even though I'm a veteran sheepdog, I've never understood how a citation could be issued in a situation similar to yours.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Interesting you received a ticket as there were no witnesses or unknown contributors. In my state, ms, unless an officer witnesses the wreck, no citations can be issued unless it's been proven that alcohol/narcotics or driving on suspended/revoked drivers license, and that apparently weren't the issues. Get well first, however I'd fight the citation so it doesn't go on your record and cause any issues with the insurance company down the road, just a suggestion mind you. Even though I'm a veteran sheepdog, I've never understood how a citation could be issued in a situation similar to yours.

Only thing I'm worried in fighting it, is the judge (if they even know better) were to ask me why I have such long skid marks on a road that isn't very fast to begin with All I know about length, distance, skid marks etc, is hearsay. Though I doubt there's pictures, and I do need to get my butt back there just to check it out. I may today if I feel up to driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode