Lost a rider on my usual route today - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By merc669

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lost a rider on my usual route today

Lost another rider today here in Upstate NY. Tractor-trailer hauling tandems merged into him on a 4-lane divided highway, rider went under the rear set of trailer axles. Highway closed for 6 hours while the cops with the neckties reconstructed the scene and the cops in the plastic suits picked the bits off the road.

Sorry for being so morbid, but I'm pretty shook up as it happened along one of my regular riding routes, a section of highway I'd always thought was pretty safe. Just last week I was passing a semi on that same stretch of highway and thinking absentmindedly to myself "the side of that trailer looks like the Gates of Hell; touch it once and they'll bury me and the bike in the same closed casket."

I know that this is a dangerous hobby; I know that people die doing it. But I pride myself on always trying to beat the odds with superior mindfulness and training. But other than situational awareness and never allowing yourself to be in anybody's "merge zone", I'm not sure what else one can do to prevent this kind of unsurvivable wreck. Anybody got any opinions?

Sorry, again, for being such a downer. RIP to the victim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Just a couple of thoughts;

1. I am normally sure the trucker had to have spotted the cyclist since he would have been looking for cars also as he merged in (I caveat this with a normally). And that the cyclist has seen the trucker?
2. Its common courtesy for drivers auto/cars/other truckers to allow the truck to merge into traffic if safety allows for those drivers to move to the adjacent lane.
3. After clearing the truck a good distance then merging back over to the far right again to get back to where you enjoy riding.
4. And if the left lane is not open then hopefully slowing down and looking for an escape option is there.

In any case from how you describe it, it sounds like neither side was willing to do give and the cyclist lost. There is stupidity on both sides of the wheel/handlebars on occasion. And its increasingly more dangerous for all out there. I am sorry to see someone perish in such a needless and possibly preventable way and pray for their family. And yes one thing in these days is to have sets of eyes front and back and be ready to take the initiative in getting out of Harms's Way. Just my own opinion.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Scary to even think about. Ya got ta have eyes all over yer head, and expect the unexpected the whole time yer ridin. I think sometimes that that also contributes to fatigue that I feel after a long ride. Especially if in lots of traffic.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Garage
most times i find it safer to brake as hard a necessary to let someone over than to power out of the situation, you can brake harder than you can accelerate the way i see it, if 60 feet of truck was sliding over i'd moving and braking. sometimes between lanes is the safest spot to go to when your cutoff.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode