2017 Star Motorcycle being phased out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

2017 Star Motorcycle being phased out

Hey folks,
I just saw this on Ride Apart and checked it on other sites for 2017:
The Star cruiser brand has been officially phased out. Instead, many of those models have been rolled into the mix as Yamahas.
I'm not sure how to take this. I've seen many posts that reference our Star bikes as Yamaha's but it appears this will be the only name we'll use in the future. I won't believe that Yamaha is moving away from the cruiser industry because in my area I still see more cruisers/baggers than any other bikes.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman950 View Post
Hey folks,
I just saw this on Ride Apart and checked it on other sites for 2017:
The Star cruiser brand has been officially phased out. Instead, many of those models have been rolled into the mix as Yamahas.
I'm not sure how to take this. I've seen many posts that reference our Star bikes as Yamaha's but it appears this will be the only name we'll use in the future. I won't believe that Yamaha is moving away from the cruiser industry because in my area I still see more cruisers/baggers than any other bikes.
star motorcycles was based in california even with the name change it will still be based in the u.s.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM

Earlier in the year i beleive yamaha made the decision to pull the star nameplate back under one roof. They've always been yamahas.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:49 PM

I don't give a damn what they call them I would ride them if they were called outdoor crap houses!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 AM

Was considered more like a separate division or manufacturer, but now called the Star Cruiser Line under the Yamaha name. That in itself isn't a huge difference, but can't believe that they still list 2014, 2015, and 2016 as current models??? Only 2017 is the Bolt. Sad

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 AM

The 250 Star began life most of thirty years ago as a 250 Yamaha Virago, and was rebranded as a Star when Yamaha decided to call their cruisers "Star" instead of Yamaha. Same bike, different decor on the tank.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
Was considered more like a separate division or manufacturer, but now called the Star Cruiser Line under the Yamaha name. That in itself isn't a huge difference, but can't believe that they still list 2014, 2015, and 2016 as current models??? Only 2017 is the Bolt. Sad
I wouldn't read too much in to that. Unlike car manufactures Yamaha doesn't always have a new year model every year. If the dealer network has quite a bit of stock and the factory has stock, they won't release a new model year. Unlike cars where they blow all the year end models out, motorcycles tend to sit for several years at the dealer until sold.

But the motorcycle industry as a whole is moving toward a smaller less expensive cruiser type of bike, Harley and Victory have also released smaller less expensive bikes.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Here is a good article and explanation by Yamaha.

https://rideapart.com/articles/yamah...star-namebrand
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Garage
That really sucks. I had a 02 VStar 1100, and now am on my 2nd 06 Roadliner. It is the perfect bike for someone my size. I love having a sleeper bike that can smoke any stock Harley!

Ride what fits you, and what you enjoy. Forget about acting macho, to impress your friends or some cute girl.

I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner because it's what fits me, is fast when I want and need it to be, and it makes me feel whole.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal82 View Post
That really sucks. I had a 02 VStar 1100, and now am on my 2nd 06 Roadliner. It is the perfect bike for someone my size. I love having a sleeper bike that can smoke any stock Harley!
star stopped making the big bikes last year nothing bigger than a 1300 is made anymore. the 250 thru the 1300 will still be offered just under the yamama name now, i'm betting the big bikes will be back in year or three better than ever, designers are probably working on a larger better bike as i write this. i'ts all about the economy if demand comes back strong enough the'll build em

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode