Paint... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Paint...

Ok so I am wanting to paint a tsukayu fairing that is primed. My bike is the Yamaha raven black color. Does anyone have experience doing this? Obviously it won't be perfect but would a gloss black work from rustoleum? What kind of paint should be used? If its a gloss black do u still need a clear coat? I don't have any equipment so it would have to be spray paint.

Any advice/ideas would be wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:25 AM

When i did the lower half of my windshield i used a gloss black krylon i think it was for plastics. Didn't do clear coat but did wet sand to with a 3000 between coats and a 4000 after the last. Looks decent. Sum imperfections due to tushing the prep and got sum dust in the one coat but from a few feet away looks great. I know there's a place around here that with a paint code can mix up automotive colors with clear coat in them in rattle cans. Which reminds me i should probably get sum pics of the windshield since i painted it, lol.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

would that still work on this? even tho is not the actual windshield or did u mean fairing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155158698153438.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	59993  

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

this is other side lol dunno why it didn't post it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10155158698528438.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	60017  

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegyrl View Post
Ok so I am wanting to paint a tsukayu fairing that is primed. My bike is the Yamaha raven black color. Does anyone have experience doing this? Obviously it won't be perfect but would a gloss black work from rustoleum? What kind of paint should be used? If its a gloss black do u still need a clear coat? I don't have any equipment so it would have to be spray paint.

Any advice/ideas would be wonderful.
vhs gloss black eng paint it's more durable. then clear coat it so the wind doesn't strip it off, any paint you chose will need to be clear coated, something that sticks into wind like that i'd clear it twice

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-28-2016 at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM

I actually painted the bottom half of the windshield, no fairing. If using 2 different kinds or brands of paint make sure to test on something. Not all paints play nice with each other as far as adhesion. I'd look around to see if somewhere around u mixes automotive paints in spray cans as they can do it with clear already in it. Here it's like 16 or so a can if i remember right.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

well i looked up color code and it costs like $33 for one spray can and about the same for a can of clear coat. how many do u think id need?

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
vhs gloss black eng paint it's more durable. then clear coat it so the wind doesn't strip it off, any paint you chose will need to be clear coated, something that sticks into wind like that i'd clear it twice
did u mean vht?

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnightcustom View Post
When i did the lower half of my windshield i used a gloss black krylon i think it was for plastics. Didn't do clear coat but did wet sand to with a 3000 between coats and a 4000 after the last. Looks decent. Sum imperfections due to tushing the prep and got sum dust in the one coat but from a few feet away looks great. I know there's a place around here that with a paint code can mix up automotive colors with clear coat in them in rattle cans. Which reminds me i should probably get sum pics of the windshield since i painted it, lol.
mixing clear coat with pigmented paint defeats the purpose of the clear coat

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegyrl View Post
did u mean vht?
yes VHT gloss black i'v even used it on the frame in spots where the paint was chipping not perfect but works pretty good, one day i'll do the frame with something really durable like a urethane based paint, powder coating is to expensive for a budget bike like my 650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode