Riding again after major crash - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding again after major crash

Pretty experienced rider as I've been riding since I was 14, and am now 34. I picked up a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner in 2009 as a replacement/upgrade for my 02 VStar 1100. Like every biker, I've had lots of close calls, until Jan of 2014 when a car pulled out in front of me, and I got thrown from my bike while going around 70 with no gear or helmet. I was washing my bike 2 blocks from my house.

My bike was destroyed, along with my left shoulder. Instead of high siding it, I let go of my handles, kicked off my tank, and drove my shoulder to the ground. I did this to keep my head off the ground, and the skin on my arms. Shattered my collar bone, split my shoulder blade in half, broke 5 ribs, dislodged 2 more, and pierced my lung 20%. Car swerved around me before taking off as it was a hit and run. I got up, picked up my bike, and started walking my bike home. A couple surgeries, lots of metal installed in shoulder, several months recovery, and I was healed, but not whole as my ride was gone forever.

Fast forward to March 2016, I bought another 2006 Yamaha Roadliner. I finally feel whole again. It took a little bit to get it customized how I wanted it, but now it's perfect. Appropriately named Ghost, as for all accounts I should be one, yet I still ride.

It took over 2 years to get back on a bike for a couple reasons, financial, worrisome wife, etc., but I finally filled that hole left in my soul when my ride was taken from me. While the crash was bad, I have survived and endured much worse in life. For me I knew that I would ride again. Who else here has survived a major crash and still got back on? Share your story.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Ride what fits you, and what you enjoy. Forget about acting macho, to impress your friends or some cute girl.

I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner because it's what fits me, is fast when I want and need it to be, and it makes me feel whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 AM

Sorry to hear about such a crash.... Good that your back riding and healed up both physically and mentally.

I've been in one accident where I totaled a bike. It was when I was young and invincible. As you say, there have been many, Many close calls as well.

Riding though is something I love, and while the wife was very against a bike, she's not quite so bad now and puts up with my love of them.

All we can do is hope for and work toward keeping the shiny side up and our face in the wind.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh trust me, the wife was very against me riding again. She almost left me over me buying a bike again when she specifically told me not to. I called her bluff on it, slept on the couch for a few weeks, and things are better. Crazy part is, as much shit as she was giving me about getting another bike, she is considering getting her own now. She has never rode other than on the back of mine, but she doesn't like not having anything to do or any control. If getting her a bike makes her good with me riding all the time so be it.

There is limitations to what we can get her due to her height, she is 5'2" with a 26" inseam, and she wants a sports bike, not a cruiser. I would really like her to get a Yamaha YZF-R3, but its too new to have any aftermarket lowering kits specifically made for it. So after looking around it looks like I'll probably be getting her a Kawasaki Ninja 300R. There is a really good lowering kit to drop the seat 2-3 inches so she will feel comfortable with both her feet flat on the ground, its light, new for like $5k, and a ton of aftermarket fairing kits for it. She is a girly girl who is going to have me make it all Black and Metallic Pink with Neon Pink Ground effects. I'll look pretty ridiculous on it when I go gas it up, but hey, happy wife happy life right? And yes, I'll have to gas it up, she doesn't even gas up her own car let alone a bike. Having her take the rider safety course and get a license first before buying, just to make sure she actually enjoys riding.

Ride what fits you, and what you enjoy. Forget about acting macho, to impress your friends or some cute girl.

I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner because it's what fits me, is fast when I want and need it to be, and it makes me feel whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Safety course is a very good idea. When I gave my sister her first bike (She had never ridden either) I told her she had too take the safety course and get her license before I'd let her take possession of the bike. She was more than happy to do that.

As for putting gas in and checking the oil, I'd tell her that it's all part of bike ownership and enjoyment.

My wife forbid me as well and I brought the bike home and told her thank you for the christmas gift. I didn't however end up sleeping on the couch over mine. And, she didn't even flinch when I went to look at and bought the second one.

Actually this is the third one. The second one I gave my sister.

But as you said, happy wife, happy life. So when she said no stereo, I should have listened better. LOL My bike now has a nice fairing, but stereo/speaker holes are covered.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It may be a little selfish on my end too, but if I get the wife her own bike, then she is less likely to have an issue with me getting a Skully Helmet as I would have to get her one as well. Kind of funny actually, having to spend like $5k for a bike for her, and an extra $1500 for a 2nd Skully helmet, just to justify the cost of the $1500 helmet to her in the first place. I really want that helmet though......so a means to an end. I've been wanting a Skully helmet since I first heard about them a few years ago. One way or another, I expect to have one by next year.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh and the gas and oil thing....she squawks whenever I drive her Infiniti G37, except when its to put gas in it or get it washed. This is the same girl who's idea of camping involve staying at a Marriott or Hilton....so yeah #FirstWorldKittenProblems.....

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Garage
Thanks for sharing and very glad for your recovery. In March my son, former Marine combat veteran, was on his way to school on a busy two lane road. A driver in a truck coming the opposite direction decided he'd waited long enough to turn left and made the turn. My son had no time to react and impacted the vehicle on the right side. He rides a sport bike with abs. I'm a long time rider and he has been riding for a couple years. Shattered his left leg and arm, right thumb and fractured his back and collapsed a lung. Couple weeks in ICU then a rehab facility. He was just allowed to start walking yesterday. He lives with me and I've seen his pain and daily struggles for the last four months. Thank god he has good insurance. He can't wait to get another bike and his only change is that he won't make the bike his daily ride just to cut down the odds a bit. One of the huge injustices in California is that you only have to carry 15k liability which the other driver carried. So for all his pain, lost wages and possible life long problems, he'll end up with about 5k after the lawyer and insurance cuts. With copays and Med equipment he'll end up with about 3k. We both can't wait to leave California.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to see you back in the saddle again. My best wishes that you will continue to enjoy. I will add that from the reading and knowing a couple of other riders from my safety course that had accidents, that the term "ATGATT" means a lot more these days. Be Safe Out There!! Lots of nutcases out there.

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Garage
you might have done better to just hit him after shaving off as much speed as possible with the brakes, someone once turned left in front of me and i stood up on the pegs and braked as hard as possible and stopped within inches of em, but i was ready to launch myself over the car at impact if i had hit him, i'm assuming you were speeding at 70mph but i glad you survived and are back on horse that threw you. laying a bike down is the absolute last thing you want do in an emergency because you relinquish all control of the situation, if it was something high like truck or trailer something i couldn't fly over, then laying it down might be my only option so i'd probably do it rather than go splat

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-29-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Part of the happy wife happy life thing. I had good uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance. It paid off my first Roadliner, and I got around 10k additional. My medical bills got picked up by my health insurance. With the 10k, I sold my wife's 2011 Kia Optima, paying off the 8k or so remaining balance, and got her dream car, a 2012 Infiniti G37. I got myself a 2007 Infiniti QX56, Tank. I've since traded my QX56 for my 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL as it was better for commuting. It wasn't till I was back on a bike again till I felt whole again though.

Yes I was speeding a bit, like 70 in a 45....hence the part of my signature about not showing off and letting testosterone take control. Still was no reason for the car to pull out in front with no obstructions, on a normal sunny day, or for him to swerve around me and take off. Live and learn. I fully understand and agree to the term ATGATT now!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode