Uh oh Big HD in trouble. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Uh oh Big HD in trouble.

Harley-Davidson may face hostile takeover - MoreBikes

Just wonder if they will get stuck like they did in the AMF years? Already have some pretty major recalls, and a few lawsuits going this year. Doesn't look too promising for them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Garage
interesting.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Very, one of the guys i follow on Youtube sent me the link. I was very suprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 AM

Garage
HD won't acknowledge the problem with cam chain tensioner shoes wearing out, installing the gear to gear conversion kit only buys a little more time because the pinion gear bearing can't take the stress of a gear to gear set up, maybe if the takeover happens, maybe they will address the problem and build a high milage engine for the big bikes, if they put the sportster 1200 engine in the ultra glides i may have bought one, the 1200 was best engine HD ever produced...imo. it easily broke a hundred thousand miles and got over 50 mpg

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
HD won't acknowledge the problem with cam chain tensioner shoes wearing out, installing the gear to gear conversion kit only buys a little more time because the pinion gear bearing can't take the stress of a gear to gear set up, maybe if the takeover happens, maybe they will address the problem and build a high milage engine for the big bikes, if they put the sportster 1200 engine in the ultra glides i may have bought one, the 1200 was best engine HD ever produced...imo. it easily broke a hundred thousand miles and got over 50 mpg
Yeah I hear that S&S build a big bike engine modeled after the sportster design. Just can't justify the price of 20 grand or more, and the engine could grenade at 25 to 30 thousand miles. OR really at anytime.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Burnett View Post
Yeah I hear that S&S build a big bike engine modeled after the sportster design. Just can't justify the price of 20 grand or more, and the engine could grenade at 25 to 30 thousand miles. OR really at anytime.
i can't speak for an ss engine but the HD 1200 `really didn't have any mechanical problems to speak of and there were fast as hell too, if you get a chance to ride one you'll love it, there's no comparison to the 883 sportster or even 1000 cc model, i still have an old 1965 900 sportster that screams pretty good but still doesn't compare to the 1200. problem is i can't kick it anymore so it's been sitting for a very long time in my basement.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
i can't speak for an ss engine but the HD 1200 `really didn't have any mechanical problems to speak of and there were fast as hell too, if you get a chance to ride one you'll love it, there's no comparison to the 883 sportster or even 1000 cc model, i still have an old 1965 900 sportster that screams pretty good but still doesn't compare to the 1200. problem is i can't kick it anymore so it's been sitting for a very long time in my basement.
I rode a 1200 once, had alot of low end power. But felt really narrow, and wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked.

2014 Bolt- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Burnett View Post
I rode a 1200 once, had alot of low end power. But felt really narrow, and wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked.
I rode a 1200 Sportster for about 45 min or so during my big trip a few weeks back. It was fun to ride, sure it was a bit faster than my Vstar1300, but not by much... When I think of "fast" I think my of FZ1, now that is a fast bike.
Also the ride was super rough, every little bump in the road was felt.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
I rode a 1200 Sportster for about 45 min or so during my big trip a few weeks back. It was fun to ride, sure it was a bit faster than my Vstar1300, but not by much... When I think of "fast" I think my of FZ1, now that is a fast bike.
Also the ride was super rough, every little bump in the road was felt.
I hear ya, I liked my Bolt. But you felt every little bump. She just wasn't made for the long run. Alot of folks travel for 100s of miles on them. Guess I like a sofa ride, instead of a lawn chair LOL!

2014 Bolt- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:23 AM

And now this class action suit against Harley Davidson

BREAKING: Harley Davidson Will Face Action Over The Hot Engines!
Klurejr and Klurejr like this.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode