Opportunity to ride across country - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes
  • 2 Post By YamaMassGirl
  • 4 Post By Elk
  • 4 Post By merc669
  • 2 Post By YamaMassGirl
  • 4 Post By merc669
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 6 Post By smokindawg
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By Klurejr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Opportunity to ride across country

If you had the opportunity to ride your bike from Massachusetts to Oregon next week, would you do it?

So I haven't committed yet, but I think I'm gonna do it.

I met a guy back in March who is hard core into riding. By hard core I mean, he rides an old school Suzuki GS1100 and GS850 both assembled, rebuilt, and worked on by him. He has crossed the country several times, and rides all year round. He has pulled a canoe with his GS850, and has tons of great stories.

We've never really gone riding together, and I've never really gone on any REAL long rides. I am recently unemployed. I have an interview on Wednesday for a job. I am getting a new rear tire on Monday. I am wondering if I can afford this trip. I am wondering if my conscience can afford to NOT let me go on this trip.

Someone said to me, "I've never heard of anyone on their death bed say, 'I wish I would of worked more'." And about 10 out of 12 people who I've asked if I should do it, say, "yeah, I'd do it!"

My bills are paid for this month. Still waiting for the unemployment to roll in, and waiting to see the outcome of this job interview. But I still haven't told my friend that I'm officially coming yet!

Am I totally crazy? All of you all would do it, right? It's probably a no brainer.

I'm just gonna make sure my bike is prepped. May attempt to change the brake fluid myself, which I've never done before. Gonna change the oil just before hand. ... Bike is in pretty good shape otherwise.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know you all don't know my situation. But I am able to do this trip. Should I just commit, and make it official?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Elk

You're not crazy. Commit or not is totaly up to you. It's a hard choice and it's no fun being unemployed and needing to pay bills.
I's also no fun to get old like me and think back on all the times I should have done something like this... \

No help, I know.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 AM

My only thoughts on this are; if you feel you can handle a long ride of this type. What has been your longest ride? Are you camping along the way or using hotels? Funds for a breakdown if it occurs? Maybe carry a stash of what-if funds. Any doubts the bike could not do the trip? I know on my stock seat after 50 or so miles my butt starts feeling it and I am shifting myself around a lot. I would need a few longer trips like a two or three hundred mile trip nonstop (other than breaks, gas, etc), and then see how I feel. But I am probably a lot older. I am also hopefully coming off being laid off last June and starting a new job the 29th. Its just the wife and me and have had to rely on my pension after unemployment ran out. For myself this would have been a non-starter. However as "Elk" pointed out "I's also no fun to get old like me and think back on all the times I should have done something like this... \", and I agree. As a kid there would be no hesitation, but as an adult no we are grounded in "what-ifs". I know, not much help but you are the only one who can answer these and any doubts you may have. I wish you the best and be sure and keep both wheels on the ground and have fun! And some pictures would be good too!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've had romantic notions about doing the trip solo. You know, lone 37 year old female travels America. I would love to take a month to do it.

The link below just came up on Revzilla's Common Thread. I love seeing stuff like this:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...Common%20Tread

I think I'm gonna do it. Hope to bounce back after. I'm in good credit standing and should stay that way. Just gonna be a little tight.

The trip will be a lot of butt miles. We are going out and back in two weeks. There is am older gentleman on a Harley going with my GS850 friend.

I'm assured there is no intinerary, but he also said he would stick a pillow under my ass. Haha. He want to hit the rockies at least.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM

Congrats! I wish you a safe and happy trip! Be sure and take pictures for your memories. I am sure you will have a lot of fun. Take breaks and keep hydrated. Main thing is to have fun, but be defensive (those 4-wheeler s and others) and ride safe. Not only for yourself but your riding companion. Enjoy Keep your two wheels down!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
CompTIA A+ Certified
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't hesitate.......... I'm looking at a trip to Utah to my sisters. But, I'm married and my wife isn't crazy about the trip as I'd be going it alone.

In the end only you can decide if you should make the trip or not. But, if you don't you'll always wonder "What If?" Tight budgets can be worked around for sure. Also, riding with people you have never really ridden with can sometimes be a pain but can also be worked out. And, if it isn't working out you can always turn around at any time and ride back on your own.

You don't have to plan the trip mile for mile or plan for every little detail, but just jumping on the bike and roaring into it isn't exactly the way either. You'll all three have to work together as far as the planning goes too. Camping or hotels, how many miles in between stops, how many miles needed to ride in a day, any certain stops anyone wants or needs to make. If there is a problem with someones bike will the other two be able to afford to wait and just how long should they wait? Those sorts of things. Being older doesn't stop us from making these type of trips, they just make us go into them a bit more cautious.

Go for it and enjoy it, everything may not align to allow you to do it again for a very long time. And if you forget anything in packing, make sure it's not the camera.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Being older doesn't stop us from making these type of trips, they just make us go into them a bit more cautious.

Go for it and enjoy it, everything may not align to allow you to do it again for a very long time. And if you forget anything in packing, make sure it's not the camera.
Well said Smokindawg!

Bill

Cobra Slip-On
CompTIA A+ Certified
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Garage
As an older guy myself, I think Smokindawg nailed it. If it's not going to be a financial strain on you, ride safely and enjoy the scenery. You'll have something to share with your grandkids or nieces and nephews one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Garage
I can't wait to see the pics! You will be sore, but you wont want to go home once that bug has bitten.

I did 2200 miles in 4 days back in June and then a few weeks ago I had to take a work trip from san diego up the california coast to Santa Cruz and then inland to Davis, so I took the long way home over the sonora pass and came down the 395 along the sierra's, 1265 miles in 3 days.

It is amazing being on the bike.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode