scoot up to the front at traffic lights? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

scoot up to the front at traffic lights?

regardless of whether or not you split lanes or lane share while moving in traffic, do any of you pull out of your lane and split the middle or to the side to move past stopped vehicles to get to the front at a traffic light? is this considered the same as lane splitting? does it hold the same legality?

i don't do it myself because it feels like cutting in front of people in line, but i also feel like a wuss for not doing so. especially if it would not raise the eyebrow of any nearby police. i've only done so in a few rare circumstances or when i'm riding with someone who chooses to do so.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM

Don't know about the legality of this practice here in Arizona. No wait, I do know. It's not legal. BUT, like you I don't do it at traffic lights, however I have done it a few times when there's a traffic jam on the freeway and all lanes are gridlocked. I have been know to lane split or move to the shoulder and pass all the traffic to get to the head of the line where I can be first to move ahead. My feeling is "That's why I'm on a motorcycle. I do it because I can." In one case this tactic saved me over an hour of sitting in stalled traffic in 100 degree plus weather.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Garage
it's safer to be at the front of the line, when i do it i'm very cautious about doors opening or an angry driver cutting over to block me, cutting around people does have it's risks, if your gonna do it you better stay focused

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 03:20 AM

Garage
yes ye yes, i filter in any stationary traffic, lights, jams, junctions.. its legal and encouraged by the law over here as long as you do it safely..

it reduces traffic for other drivers too so dont get the hostility by some cage drivers, also much safer than being set at the back of the queue and rammed up the arse by some idiot on their phone not paing attention
keith63 and keith63 like this.

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 05:28 AM

Garage
I never do it, its the same thing as lane splitting which is illegal in Texas. I personally wouldn't lane split even if it was legal though.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM

Garage
Uk again and i do it ALL the time the police reccomend it as it quickens the flow of traffic, legal as long as you do it under 20mph
skids and skids like this.

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:17 AM

Garage
I have not had to deal with this after moving away from Houston in the mid 80's. But for almost 10yr.'s of riding Honda 250
duel on/off road bikes there I would ride the side wherever there was a jam and that was all the time everywhere. Not one
time was I stopped.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Not legal here as far as I know and I won't do it.

That said, in a traffic jam I will move as far ahead as possible along the shoulder but in regular traffic, I stay in my spot.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:15 PM

Garage
Don't know about the legality here (though lane-splitting is not legal).

I only do it at a few intersections I know when I have a left-turner in front of me with a long line of non-left-turning facing traffic...

Then again, where I live we effectively don't have traffic... So no taking the "high road" here. Just saying that only time I even -need- to do it is the case above.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Sorry guys but riding on the shoulder is WAAAAAY more dangerous and WAAAAY more illegal than Lane Splitting or Filtering. The few times I have ridden outside of California I have not tried lane splitting or filtering, since the drivers are not used to it it could be more challenging or provoke anger.

California rider here and I have been lane splitting for the last 5 years. Not only is Lane splitting safer than sitting in traffic, but as others said it helps improve the flow of traffic, either on the freeway or the Surface streets.

I filter to the front of traffic lights anytime I can, some roads the lanes are too narrow to get all the way to the front, and it is harder to do on my Vstar than on my FZ1.

All the CHP and Local Police and Sheriffs who ride motorcycles Lane Split here, if it was as dangerous as some think, why would the police do it? In fact the CHP practically endorse doing it as long as your differential speeds are between 10 and 20mph of the traffic you are passing.

A major reason why I know lane splitting is safer, On my commute alone I see at least 1 accident per day on the freeway, and every time it is a car rear-ending another car when traffic suddenly slows or stops. When a car is rear ended air bags go off and you run the risk of whiplash. When a motorcycle gets rear ended the rider gets severely injured or dies.

Here is one I happened to see in person rather than just the aftermath: https://youtu.be/7ytQe--NiXA?list=PL...uozrUxx7EGGeBu

Please DO NOT ride on the shoulder. The shoulder is for emergency stops and Emergency vehicles only. If my kid starts throwing up in the car or I get a flat, I will be moving to the shoulder to get out of everyone else's way as quickly as possible and since it is illegal to drive/ride on the shoulder there would be very little reason to look before pulling on to the shoulder.

I have been hit once by a car, what was I doing? I was filtering to the front of a line of traffic on the shoulder.

This means you only split or filter when there are at least two lanes of traffic traveling in each direction, only one lane... too bad, stay in the lane until you can pass.

All those guys who say they would never do it. Come to California and try it before you knock it, it is quite amazing, saves me 20-30 min each morning and 40-50 min each afternoon on my 35 mile each way commute.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode