Youtube exhaust videos! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Youtube exhaust videos!

I enjoy the sound of a good motorcycle exhaust as much as the next guy. But why on earth does everyone make a video with the bike sitting in a garage? It makes alot of the bikes sound obnoxiously loud, even when they may not be.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 AM

I totally agree!

We don't want to hear the bike as it sits there ... show us some drive-bys and even better, what does it sound like from the rider's seat as you're going through the gears?

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Garage
Perhaps some people like watching them?

Until a good friend of mine had a kid who loved watching garbage Truck videos on youtube, I had no idea such things exist.... Seriously, Search Garbage trucks on youtubes. Hundreds of videos of Garbage trucks picking up trash cars and dumping them into the bin.....

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
Perhaps some people like watching them?

Until a good friend of mine had a kid who loved watching garbage Truck videos on youtube, I had no idea such things exist.... Seriously, Search Garbage trucks on youtubes. Hundreds of videos of Garbage trucks picking up trash cars and dumping them into the bin.....
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!! I had no idea. I immediately found myself engrossed in garbage truck vids after reading your post...................

NOT !! LMAO!

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM

Garage
I think it's personal preference and the fact that most guys keep their bikes in the garage and don't have a POV camera so it's just easy to take a vid in the garage. I for one can't stand drive by exhaust videos. I don't want to know what the car or bike sounds like as it drives past me. I've seen some guys trying to capture the exhaust sound while they're driving but you normally get a lot of wind noise if the phone or camera is not set up correctly.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
I don't want to know what the car or bike sounds like as it drives past me.
Aside from wanting to know what it sounds like while I'm riding it, I like to know what my bike will sound like to other people as I drive by.

Drive-bys and on-board vids are the only way to get a real idea of what that is. Cracking the throttle while sitting still with the camera parked on the ground a few feet back of the bike does not give any decent representation of either of the above.

I recently sold my 2013 Victory XCT which was equipped with D&D performance mufflers. I knew what they sounded like while riding it and during various drive-bys from youtube vids and that's part of the reason I chose them over a couple other brands that also had drive-by and on board vids. I also watched several "sitting still" vids as well as some stock vs aftermarket sitting still vids ... those really did not sway my decision.

Now I'm reviewing several vids for my Roadie. There's a ton of sitting still "ooooo listen to my mufflers!!" vids .... waste of time IMO. I look for the "action" stuff.

Well, that's just me.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wasn't meaning to insult anyone on their video choices. But I prefer one sitting at least outside, when they get to revving on it.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Burnett View Post
I wasn't meaning to insult anyone on their video choices. But I prefer one sitting at least outside, when they get to revving on it.
Wasn't taken as an insult at least not by me. Variety is the spice of life. This forum seems more mature than others I've been on. It's ok to agree to disagree.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 PM

You guys must be really good. I haven't seen or heard one YouTube video that sounded remotely close to what the pipes actually sound like when you're standing next to them. There are just too many variables.

I just go to bike shows/rally's, meet and greets or hang out with other riders at some of the popular biker hangouts and listen in person. After a year or 2 you get to know just about everything you like and don't like that is out there. After 10-15 years you don't need to do much more research...

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You guys must be really good. I haven't seen or heard one YouTube video that sounded remotely close to what the pipes actually sound like when you're standing next to them. There are just too many variables.

I just go to bike shows/rally's, meet and greets or hang out with other riders at some of the popular biker hangouts and listen in person. After a year or 2 you get to know just about everything you like and don't like that is out there. After 10-15 years you don't need to do much more research...
That's worked for me especially during loud pipes competitions. I narrowed down my exhaust choice for my Mustang through Youtube and using some good quality headphones. Was pretty accurate but you're right the variables throw off everything and a garage tends to amplify sounds which is why I suspect some choose that as the location for their vids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode