bike communication gear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

bike communication gear

So the wife and I need a communication setup so when we ride on different bikes we can talk. I wear a modular helmet and she wears a half helmet. Any suggestions on a decent setup? Thanks in advance.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
So the wife and I need a communication setup so when we ride on different bikes we can talk. I wear a modular helmet and she wears a half helmet. Any suggestions on a decent setup? Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert on this and others will better answer you about options.

But as an avid user of bluetooth to listen to music (and occasionally talk on the phone) while riding, I would suggest a half-helmet will pretty much eliminate any ability for her to hear anything. I tried it briefly (like two rides) and you can neither hear much over the wind and DEFINITELY no mic or foam cover can overcome an "out in the open" scenario.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 05:07 PM

Boyfriend and I just got the Sena 20s and its great! He wears a modular, I wear full-face. Not sure if it would work with a half helmet, as you position the speakers inside the helmet next to your ears. If she's not opposed to a different helmet, it's a great system! Good luck~let us know what you end up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Sena has a set up for half helmets. Not sure if it is available for all of their headsets but here is one option:

SMH5 - Sena

If you look under the accessories it shows the following for half helmets

Half Helmet Earpads for SPH10H-FM, SMH5 and SMH5-FM - Sena

Sena products all interconnect. You can get which ever one you want for the modular helmet and the SMH5 for the half helmet. Cost and features are different on each of course. They also connect with other non-Sena blue tooth headsets.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
Sena has a set up for half helmets. Not sure if it is available for all of their headsets but here is one option:

SMH5 - Sena

If you look under the accessories it shows the following for half helmets

Half Helmet Earpads for SPH10H-FM, SMH5 and SMH5-FM - Sena

Sena products all interconnect. You can get which ever one you want for the modular helmet and the SMH5 for the half helmet. Cost and features are different on each of course. They also connect with other non-Sena blue tooth headsets.
Thanks for that info, tigerzeye! I've been thinking about something for my wife and I, and we both wear half-helmets. Glad I stumbled upon this thread!

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
DEFINITELY no mic or foam cover can overcome an "out in the open" scenario.
I've wondered about this, and sounds like you've had experience with it. Is it completely unusuable, or so bad that yelling is just easier?
We don't do much interstate riding, mostly 60 mph and under...but on longer rides I've thought it would be nice to have an intercom and some music.

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

What we are looking for is bike to bike and rider to passenger. The wife is going to a local shop as they are a dealer for a setup we were looking at to talk to them about it. scala rider Q3 MultiSet - Cardo Systems This is not meant to be any sort of ad for this gear, just what we are looking at. We can get it off of Amazon cheaper, but the company does not give any support if it is not bought from an authorized dealer. So I will pay a little more. They do have a half helmet mic that is sold as an accessory. I just wish she would go full face.. lol

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
What we are looking for is bike to bike and rider to passenger. The wife is going to a local shop as they are a dealer for a setup we were looking at to talk to them about it. scala rider Q3 MultiSet - Cardo Systems This is not meant to be any sort of ad for this gear, just what we are looking at. We can get it off of Amazon cheaper, but the company does not give any support if it is not bought from an authorized dealer. So I will pay a little more. They do have a half helmet mic that is sold as an accessory. I just wish she would go full face.. lol
Please provide an update once you have used it for a while!

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntswithhawks View Post
Please provide an update once you have used it for a while!
Will do!! :-)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 AM

I have used all my Sena's (on my second set) on 3/4 helmets. Speakers are of course mounted internally in the ear pockets and covered by the helmet, but the mike is a boom mike and "out in the open." Just took a call the other day while on 4 lane road at 60 ish or so. Questioned the caller to make sure he could hear me. He said sure and asked why? Told him I was on the bike at 60 and he said he was impressed, that it sounded better than most car blue tooth connections. Trick is to keep the mike right at your mouth, almost touching your lips, and making sure the mike is faced the right direction. There is a tab on the mike so you know which way is to face front.

Can't comment on hearing audio on a half helmet but as to in a 3/4 helmet it is absolutely fine. Have no problems communicating with passenger but her helmet is 3/4 as well.
NGM and NGM like this.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode