Well heck - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well heck

Harley built a new engine. Its the same old tired and true design just bigger with better cooling fins LOL. Still has the timing chain, and new automatic hydraulic tensioner. Oh well, guess the masses will be all over it.

Harley-Davidson Unveils Its First New Engine in 15 Years

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Sounds like you're bashing Harley?

From what I understand, the engine is totally redesigned albeit it looks similar.

As I recall, Yamaha used the same old "tired and true" engine design from 1983 right thru to 2013 in their Venture line ... what's that... 20 years? At least Harley stopped putting cassettes in their bikes several years ago (did they ever have a cassette player?) and went to FI a long time ago. Yamaha continued to use carbs in their big tourer .. And what is mother Yamaha now offering in a touring bike?

I don't care what anyone says, at least Harley continues to upgrade and improve their product, cater to their clients, and stay in tune with current technology.
bevo1981, bevo1981, NGM and 1 others like this.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 AM

Garage
shame theyre still shite lol.. ill take japanese over american any day, nothing wrong with carbs also.

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 04:07 AM

About Touring Bikes, the Yamaha FJR 1300 established the Sport Touring Class and uses FI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I wasn't bashing Harley, the article says it all. I could never justify buying an old, new motorcycle for 20+ thousand. That is why I own the most reliable motorcycle brand, and only spent 8k for a very nice motorcycle. Just personal preference, to each their own.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specs95t View Post
About Touring Bikes, the Yamaha FJR 1300 established the Sport Touring Class and uses FI...

I was referring to Touring as it relates to the Royal Star Venture, Harley Electra & Road glide, Victory XCT and Vision, Kawasaki Voyager, etc etc. While the FJR and the like are classed as touring, they are a very different bike and designed for a different class of rider. Granted Yamaha has some great bikes and most of their lineup has undergone modern technology upgrades, they did nothing with the RSV and RSTD line and it appears nothing new is coming so where are all these die-hard Yamaha RSV riders going to go when it comes time to change? The competition is where and it's already happening.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrT View Post
I was referring to Touring as it relates to the Royal Star Venture, Harley Electra & Road glide, Victory XCT and Vision, Kawasaki Voyager, etc etc. While the FJR and the like are classed as touring, they are a very different bike and designed for a different class of rider. Granted Yamaha has some great bikes and most of their lineup has undergone modern technology upgrades, they did nothing with the RSV and RSTD line and it appears nothing new is coming so where are all these die-hard Yamaha RSV riders going to go when it comes time to change? The competition is where and it's already happening.

Gotcha and agreed.

I mentioned FJR because I have been eyeing them for a bit now.

They are definitely more slanted toward "sport". For the classic tourer machines, I agree that there are lots of contenders - the question for this class is what do people want out of this type of bike? I hear comfort over all else...

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specs95t View Post
Gotcha and agreed.

I mentioned FJR because I have been eyeing them for a bit now.

They are definitely more slanted toward "sport". For the classic tourer machines, I agree that there are lots of contenders - the question for this class is what do people want out of this type of bike? I hear comfort over all else...
If I was a single man, I'd probably be riding an FJR or something similar but when an old fart like me is packing around his equally "aged" spouse ... comfort is what it's all about, not to mention modern features.

A happy wife makes a happy life ....

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

i'm no engineer, but what about this new engine is "old tired and true design"? this article is the 2nd independent source i've seen explaining all the advances and benefits over the previous iteration that make it sound like a good product. i'm vocal about saying Harley is overrated and over-priced, but their bikes have made massive strides in quality and technology over the past decade or so.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawson90 View Post
nothing wrong with carbs also.
nope, nothing wrong with them ... except they're old technology, require periodic maintenance and rebuilding, and if there's more than one, occasional balancing. That's not wrong, it's just out dated.

2005 Road Star Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode