Lane Splitting - Example by Police - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lane Splitting - Example by Police

Today while on my way to work a Police officer on a BMW bike pulled in front of me while I was splitting and I followed him for about 20 miles.

I have been splitting for 5 years now every day and while I have had a few close calls, I have found that splitting on the freeway is very safe and all my close calls were from me going to fast. I probably still go a little too fast, but this video just shows exactly how safe lane splitting should be done.

This video is very boring because no danger or high speed is involved.

https://youtu.be/68icRI4JFdk
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:10 PM

Garage
Drivers out west are familiar with lane splitting since its legal for Police and civilian bikers. With the volume of traffic I see where it's helpful. Back here, drivers don't know what turn signals are used for, too busy smacking their misbehaving kids in their SUVs, and talking/texting to make it safe to lane split. Anytime I go home to SoCal, I cringe when I see a fellow biker lane splitting since I know what would happen locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Drivers out west are familiar with lane splitting since its legal for Police and civilian bikers. With the volume of traffic I see where it's helpful. Back here, drivers don't know what turn signals are used for, too busy smacking their misbehaving kids in their SUVs, and talking/texting to make it safe to lane split. Anytime I go home to SoCal, I cringe when I see a fellow biker lane splitting since I know what would happen locally.

Honestly no matter where you go in this country the majority of drivers are good drivers, there are really only a few bad drivers on the road. I honestly think if lane splitting was made legal in the other 49 drivers would adapt in time. It works in the rest of the world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Garage
I totally agree, however locally we have the second highest fatality rate in the state. Our county is 1472 square miles and has 5 incorporated cities and four major highways through it. Five years ago over Labor Day weekend there were 9 traffic fatalities. 7 of the 9 were in our county. If lane splitting was legal in all states and taught through drivers ed, etc, I think it would be helpful. However currently, it wouldn't be safe. On my way home from the office, it's nothing to hear 8-10 wrecks over the radio with most of them having injured parties.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
I totally agree, however locally we have the second highest fatality rate in the state. Our county is 1472 square miles and has 5 incorporated cities and four major highways through it. Five years ago over Labor Day weekend there were 9 traffic fatalities. 7 of the 9 were in our county. If lane splitting was legal in all states and taught through drivers ed, etc, I think it would be helpful. However currently, it wouldn't be safe. On my way home from the office, it's nothing to hear 8-10 wrecks over the radio with most of them having injured parties.

Holy crap man, where do you live that drivers are so careless?

Also, do you happen to know on average how many of those accidents are rear-enders?

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Garage
The Memphis Tn metro area. I'd venture to say at least 50% are rear enders. Two years ago it was estimated that over 300k drivers locally were operating on a suspended/revoked drivers license and no insurance.
Our DUI task force in our county alone makes nearly 500 arrests annually. The majority of those DUI drivers have no insurance and are driving without a valid license.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
Today while on my way to work a Police officer on a BMW bike pulled in front of me while I was splitting and I followed him for about 20 miles.

I have been splitting for 5 years now every day and while I have had a few close calls, I have found that splitting on the freeway is very safe and all my close calls were from me going to fast. I probably still go a little too fast, but this video just shows exactly how safe lane splitting should be done.

This video is very boring because no danger or high speed is involved.

https://youtu.be/68icRI4JFdk
As a new rider I am asking this question out of curiosity not bashing in any sort of way, so pls do not take it as that. Once you were up to highway speed why keep lane splitting? Traffic was moving at that point. My layman understanding of why to split lanes was during stopped or very slow traffic so the bike can get in front of whatever the slowdown is because the bike in most cases will get out of the way of the rest of traffic.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
I have been splitting for 5 years now every day
you would hate it here in Austin. but it's interesting. i'm 10 minutes from both the 85mph toll road and the 4th ranked worst traffic in the U.S.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Garage
I think the real issue has been hit on multiple times: Familiarity.

If drivers are used to lane splitting AND if riders are taught/conditioned to do it properly, it's a benefit.

I lived in SoCal for many years. It makes perfect sense there: There is a WORLD of difference lane splitting in stopped traffic on the Ventura Freeway vs. zipping through lanes at 85 because you don't like the 55mph flow of traffic.

In other areas... I think it would still be good so long as everyone "gets" that it's a way to improve the flow of clogged up traffic, not a way for "DUDE!" on his GX'r or Ninja to go 95 even if the soccer moms of the world in their minivans are "only" going 60...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Garage
Great point cj.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode