Bike for the wife - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike for the wife

So last week my wife tells me she is determined to have her M1 by this spring so we can get her a bike of her own. I think having a son now she is jealous that when he is big enough she is losing her spoke as pillion to him and she still wants to go on rides with us.

So, we talked about the V-Star 650 since it is smaller displacement, lower HP and much lighter than my 1300 Touring. But when she started looking at them online she did not like the way the rear fender looked. I guess the way it sorta lips up at the end bothers her. I am sure we could replace the rear fender, Perhaps that was only certain years that have that style? I am not sure.

Her ultimate goal would be to do longer rides with me and live out of the saddle bags for a few days on the road.

I almost wonder if the 650 might be a tad too small for her anyway, perhaps a 950 is the way to go, she is 6foot tall and has a 36inch inseem, so very leggy. Even when she sits on my 1300 her knees are very bent compared to mine (30inch inseem).

Thoughts?

FYI - I taught her how to ride Dirt Bikes back when we first got married 19 years ago and she rode for about a year in the dirt, she has not ridden on the pavement ever. A MSF class is going to be in her future for sure.

Thoughts? Comments?
commonground and commonground like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM

I have no experience with the 950 but i like my 650. Comfort for size wise I'm 5'8" and added 4 inch extensions and kuryakyn mini boards. It now has a star solo seat which made a huge difference over the stock one. Love the weight and nimbleness. Personally i could ride it all day and keep up with just about ne one i ride with, just have to push it a bit harder than they do.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 PM

I too started from scratch 5 years ago. I was 67 years old, 5'6" tall and weighed 167 lbs. I bought a Virago 250, (had the previous owner ride it to my house when I bought it because I didn't know how to ride), a V Star 650, a V Star 950 and now have a 1300 Tourer. I have taken the BRC1, BRC2, and the ARC. Working your way up is a good philosophy. Learn to walk before you try to run.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 09-15-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 PM

Garage
Wife has had her 650 for more than 10yr. I have hours of it doing 80+ and she put 58000. At 5'-7" it's a fit.
The fender is about the same as a 1100,road star, and royal star all are close.
I think your best shot is the 950 as it has so much more going for it.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

many women start on the 950 from what i've seen online. at 6ft tall, i would think this would be a more ergonomic fit for her. not to mention much more power for highway speeds versus a 650. and the 950 is the greatest invention in the history of mankind, from what i've been told.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 AM

When I transitioned from the 650 to the 950 I couldn't believe the difference in the handling. I had them both in the stable for two weeks waiting on my daughter to pick up the 650. I would alternate riding so that the 650 wasn't gathering dust. The 950 was much more nimble than the 650 and was much more comfortable cruising. I really liked the 950.

When I first rode the 1300 I was impressed with how good it handled for it's size and I really liked the dual disc brakes for stopping power. I have grown with experience as the bikes have grown in size.

It's good that you are looking at the options before jumping in.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I started out on a 950 Touring. It sits low, it handles REALLY well. I did a lot of research into a good starter bike. The V-star 950 came up all the time as a good starter.. Mid size displacement, low enough that it's low speed handling is good for a novice, fast enough to get out of the way of traffic. I got the touring model so it came with hard bags and a backrest for a passenger already mounted. Good luck and both of you ride safe!!!

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:34 AM

Garage
At the risk of sounding redundant, I have to agree with the 950 recommendation. With her being 6' tall, I believe it would be a good fit. I had a 650 before the 950, I think overall the 950 handles better and enough cc's to keep up with most anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM

Garage
I'm 6' myself, my wife had a 650 for some time, and I had occasion to ride it somewhat often... Given that my inseam is 34, not 36 and I found the bike distinctly to short/small for me, I'd guess it wouldn't fit your wife well either. Just diddling around town, no big deal. But if I was on it more than 30 minutes or so, got very crampy.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:02 PM

It sounds like she's looking at the 650 Custom.....make sure she checks out the 650 Classic.....totally different rear fender. You'd just need to find a used one but that should be pretty easy. About 75 lbs less weight than a sstripped 950 .... which isn't huge .....but it's usually an advantage for a beginner to be on a lighter bike.

The best part is, they are way less $$$ (probably find one for less that 2 grand that's ready to roll) than most anything else in that class out there......so if it happens to get dumped in the learning process, it's no big deal. There's tons of used parts everywhere. She can move up to something that better fits her later on once she figures out what kind of riding she like best.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 09-15-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode