The New SCR 950 Scrambler for 2017 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The New SCR 950 Scrambler for 2017

http://https://youtu.be/xM9c0q7ulT8

I want to know what you guys think of this new bike from Yamaha. At first I didn't like it. I thought it was just the same as the Bolt, but being pawned off as a Scrambler. And, it is...

But I just watched this video from Motorcycle.com, and have learned that it has gained 5" in height. The riding position is more "standard". I like both of these aspects, but believe it still suffers as far a ground clearance compared to other Scramblers.

I think it's pretty cool looking. (Which is important to me. I am a girl after all. Ha! :-)

BUT. I don't know. What do you guys think?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Or think I heard 5" of travel. .. or something.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaMassGirl View Post
Or think I heard 5" of travel. .. or something.
Or the seat is 5" higher. I don't know what I heard in the video.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 PM

Garage
Yamaha is going for that newer type of market. They have discontinued the big cruiser line, and that bike is the last of the V Twins they make.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
Yamaha is going for that newer type of market. They have discontinued the big cruiser line, and that bike is the last of the V Twins they make.
Really? Well I wouldn't think they would drop the new 1300 Deluxe as it competes with the Street Glide. The Bolt competes with the Sportster. I guess I could see them eventually doing away with other V Stars. But my bike, the 950, is a one up and as cheep as Kawasaki's offerings for middle-weights.

I am interested in Yamaha's future offerings, as I test rode the XSR900. That triple was nice. And the FJ-09 still entices, minus the sportbike leg room.

I am interested to research more about this.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 09-30-2016 at 07:30 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
I for one am really disappointed that they discontinued the big cruiser line. They now have nothing for me to upgrade to and will have to look at a different manufacturer. I guess they just weren't selling enough to make it profitable to continue carrying them. My experience has been they are great bikes but it cost a small fortune to buy upgrades so they've probably done themselves in as previous owners won't buy bigger bikes knowing what the cost of accessories are and are buying from other manufacturers.

Case in point. I bought a 2013 950 tourer and was going to get the dealer to put a driving light bar on it. They wanted $435.00 plus the labor to install so I thought I'd wait until I could afford it since I had just spent everything on the new bike purchase. So 2 years later I go back to get the light bar and it's now $865.00 plus labor. WTF!!! How can this go up $430.00 in 2 years?? Greedy!! The OEM Harley kit for the Street Bob is currently less than $400.00 so how can Yamaha justify this?
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 PM
KCW

Garage
I saw the SR950 at the dealer when I got my VS650 inspected last weekend.
Its a great looking bike. When I bought my enduro IT175 new back in 1978 the SR500 had just come out.

It used the same 1 cylinder 500cc engine as their four cycle dirt bike. I looked at it and seriously considered buying it instead of the enduro bike... Looking back I wish I had. Yamaha has been making the SR500 ever since, except they dropped the engine down to 400cc for regulations in Japan.

950 would be a lot of power for a scrambler, you would spin that pseudo knobby tire all over the place. But it does have that feeling like you could ride it just about anywhere, pavement or not.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 AM

Garage
Of all things the emergence of Victory was what really put the nail in the coffin for the Yamaha Star line, they offered a US alternative to Harley and now Polaris has the Indian options as well. I know quite a bit of people who jumped to Victory after Yamaha. Ironically, Harley just released a new modern V Twin engine more on the likes of what you would see with Yamaha and Victory. The 1300 never competed with the Street Glide, the street glide is a 18K to 24K bike and a nice one at that..Now they offer it with the new designed engine. If they didn't cost as much as a car, I would get one (the ones with he new engine). Yamaha just wasn't generating the sales they needed. You can go and by brand new zero miles V Stars that date from 2007 that are still sitting in show room floors. And they are priced to move, but still don't.

I love my 1300, but at the end of the day they are a low price Harley clone. But the entire V Twin market is down, Harley has lost sales due to Polaris and the fact the V Twin just isn't as popular style anymore. The entire motorcycle industry is gearing the bikes toward the 20-40 something crowd, which like the more Urban type of bikes, Scrambler, and the Adventure bikes, which are insanely popular right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode