Can't be too careful - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Can't be too careful

Hi guys,
We all consider ourselves to be good riders. We usually tell everyone that it's the drivers on the roads we worry about most. Two weeks ago, my, 50-year-old son was returning from an errand, when an 18-year-old girl pulled in front of him. He had nowhere to go, no time to even hit the brakes. He's now in the hospital with one less leg. The driver told the police, she thought he was slowing down to let her out.

People laugh at us for putting bright lights and flashing brake light on our bikes, but I offer no apologies. We just want to get their attention. Never stop telling people to put down the phone, get their mind on driving, and off of jobs, boyfriends or shopping. Riding makes us much better drivers when we get behind the wheel. If we could just get others to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 AM

Very sad to hear your story. I hope that your son can recover the maximum extent possible. I am on another forum and have pushed safety at every opportunity. Even though I sometimes get disparaging remarks, I persist with talking about the vulnerability of the motorcycle rider. I am going to take the liberty of posting your post on that forum Thank you for sharing. Augie
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:50 AM

Garage
Wow. I am very sorry to hear that. Best wishes for not only physical wellness but emotional healing too. Your whole family will need strength to get through this, and that is what I wish for you.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Garage
I'm with Angie 100% and I'm very sorry for your son and family. I continue to be amazed at how careless many drivers are and only think of themselves while on the roadways. Here's hoping for the best for your family and your sons quick recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:53 PM

I am sorry about your son. And wish him a speedy recovery. I am alsoo in the process of beefing up the lighting while I am winterizing the bike and hope the lights will help. Although until drivers start getting hit with fines for talking on a cell phone, doing makeup and other assorted stupid things then bikers still need to be on their toes. I already had one dealing earlier with a driver coming off the interstate. I want to be proactive in making sure others see me. But my best to your son!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:15 PM

Wow man. So sorry for your son. And you too. I know that can't be easy for you to be seein you boy that way. Just glad not any worse. It's true there are more distractions than ever before, for drivers, and riders alike. And there are some people out there that shouldn't even be driving. That's why ya got ta have eyes all over yer head, and always try to anticipate the unexpected. Believe me, I know that's hard to do when yer really enjoyin the ride. We hope for a speedy recovery for yer boy.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM
KCW

Garage
Kmedlin,

Sorry to hear about your son's accident and happy to hear he survived.

I lost my cousin Danny in Nevada about 10 years ago. He was in his late 50s, was a MSF instructor for most of his adult life, an avid HD rider and had restored several very early HDs to museum quality.

He was on the highway at night in traffic. Coming around a bend there was an extension ladder lying in the road. He managed to avoid it but the other cars swerved to miss the ladder and killed Danny.

We do the best we can it minimize the risks of riding, but sometimes no matter how skilled or careful you are some things you cannot control.

I hope you and your son can make the best of this terrible situation and still find joy, happiness and peace in your lives, and in the motorcycle community.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes guys. He is doing good mentally, his spirits are high. He just found out yesterday that while the doctors were reviewing his cat scans, they found a 6 cm mass on his left kidney. After a second cat scan, they determined that it is cancer. The doctor is confident that surgery in a couple of months will get all of the cancer, with the loss of half to three-quarters of his kidney. You always here that everything happens for a reason. The way I see it, the accident may have saved his life.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedlin View Post
Thanks for the well wishes guys. He is doing good mentally, his spirits are high. He just found out yesterday that while the doctors were reviewing his cat scans, they found a 6 cm mass on his left kidney. After a second cat scan, they determined that it is cancer. The doctor is confident that surgery in a couple of months will get all of the cancer, with the loss of half to three-quarters of his kidney. You always here that everything happens for a reason. The way I see it, the accident may have saved his life.
My neighbor fell off a ladder while cutting a limb out of a tree. He noticed blood in his urine almost immediately after the fall and a scan showed a tumor in his kidney. They had to remove the kidney. If it hadn't been for the fall they probably wouldn't have known about the tumor in time to correct the problem. (everything happens for a reason). We all wish the best for your son and the family. Augie
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:10 AM
KCW

Garage
There is a chinese proverb:

A farmers horse ran away. His friends came over to console him in his loss. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a good thing".

A few days later the horse came back with a mate. His friends came over to celebrate his good fortune. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a bad thing".

The farmers son decided to break the new horse so it could be ridden, was thrown off and broke his leg. His friends came over to console him in his misfortune. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a good thing".

A war broke out and all the healthy young men were sent off to a hopeless battle. The farmers son remained at home with his broken leg.

The point is 99.999% of the things that happen in life are totally random and out of your control. All any of us can do is make the best of our situation with the assets we have at our disposal.

And the best asset we have is each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode