Head Injuries Increase After Michigan Repeals Helmet Law - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Head Injuries Increase After Michigan Repeals Helmet Law

Study: Head Injuries Increase after Michigan's Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Apparently its a no brainer, says the comments section.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Garage
It is hilarious that anyone thinks it is safer to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.....

My Grandmothers Brother died a number of years ago due to head trauma received from a motorcycle accident. He was, and this is not a joke, on his way to a anti-Helmet rally. He was not wearing a helmet.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:31 PM

"Male gender, alcohol intoxication, intersection crashes and crashes at higher speed limits increased fatality risk. Not wearing a helmet and alcohol intoxication increased head injury odds. Fatality rate overall, however, did not change."

Then it says helmet non-use doubled the odds of fatality....sounds like somebody is making up a bunch of stuff here....

So if I'm not riding at high speed, not totally drunk...I'll probably be ok? I hate these so-called "studies"....and would love to know where their funding came from. It's like you just keep twisting the facts and muddying the details until you get the answer you want.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 12-02-2016 at 05:40 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Garage
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
This guy has a helmet on.
Tulsa Motorcycle Crash : snopes.com
"If you play Russian Roulette long enough, you will eventually find the live round".

My neighbor, who is a policemen, almost lost his leg in a motorcycle accident (rear-ended a van at high speed). After three years of surgeries and skin grafts he still says that if he were to get on a motorcycle, he would have to see how fast it would go.

Comment: His wife forbade him to ever ride again.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Fatality rate overall, however, did not change."

Then it says helmet non-use doubled the odds of fatality....sounds like somebody is making up a bunch of stuff here....
what its saying is: “Michigan’s partial universal motorcycle helmet law repeal decreased helmet use and increased head injury among crash-involved motorcyclists. Furthermore, helmet non-use doubled the odds of a fatality and tripled the odds of a head injury,”

more MC riders suffered head injuries

the same number of fatalities occurred

people not wearing helmets were twice as likely to die, and three times as likely to suffer a head injury.

That means the people were dying at the same rate, and they were more likely to choose to not wear a helmet once they had a choice.

There is a point where a helmet will not save you. For one thing it only covers your head, not your internal vital organs.

One conclusion you could draw: the MC riders that were subjecting themselves to high levels of risk, and were most likely to die in an accident, were the ones that chose to not wear a helmet when they had the option, and continued to die at the same rate.
chedobean and chedobean like this.

Last edited by KCW; 12-03-2016 at 06:35 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:12 PM

LOL...so to simplify things they could have just said.....if you're an idiot on a motorcycle...you are more likely to die. If you're an idiot not wearing a helmet riding a motorcycle...you're more likely to have a head injury or die (maybe not from a head injury).

Not much rocket science there.....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

I think this sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
One conclusion you could draw: the MC riders that were subjecting themselves to high levels of risk, and were most likely to die in an accident, were the ones that chose to not wear a helmet when they had the option, and continued to die at the same rate.

Personally, I will wear a FF helmet regardless of the law. If someone chooses to ride without a helmet, that is on them.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
Personally, I will wear a FF helmet regardless of the law. If someone chooses to ride without a helmet, that is on them.
Ditto. To me, it's clear that wearing a helmet is better than not, and even though I don't have to here in PA, I do.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of 'nanny-state' laws and I'm a pretty strong supporter of not having helmet laws. Call me a hypocrite if you like, but I'm the guy who'd be wearing his helmet to a rally against helmet laws... I support everyone's right to choose, even if I personally think their choice is stupid.

Plus... Darwin.

Also bluetooth. All else aside, the ability to listen to tunes while riding makes me put the helmet on - all else aside.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode