Motorcycles - A Love Story - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Klurejr
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By Klurejr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorcycles - A Love Story

I have been wanting to write a small blog post about motorcycles and my love for them for a while now. I finally got the motivation to put something up. Read it if you want. Sorry about the layout, I am still trying to make it more reader friendly.

California Road Warrior: Motorcycles - A Love Story
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Nothing wrong with the layout. Easy to read and well written.

That's quite a choice for your first bike. I had a FZ600 as my first street bike and it had enough power and speed to scare me so I can't imagine how a 1000cc would feel for a new street rider. I sold it almost 20 years ago and now that I've mellowed some in my old age I chose a Vstar1100 for my return to biking. I too love the sights, sounds, and smells from 2 wheels. It's hard to describe the feeling to someone who hasn't experienced it. I read somewhere once that you'll never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office, and I believe it. Twist the throttle and roll down a nice twisty road and the stress just melts away.

My wife questioned my desire (need) to get another bike. After I picked up my newest ride I took her for a little spin. She'd never been on a motorcycle before (aside from being a passenger on a dirt bike when she was a kid) and she absolutely loved it. Now we're talking about getting her a bike of her own one day.

Interesting to read your views on lane splitting, which is illegal here. Then again, we don't have the traffic of a big city either so it's not really necessary. I can definitely see the advantages for commuting in heavy traffic though. I've driven in big cities and know full well the frustration of taking an hour and a half to go 10 miles. There will always be haters, but like you said it probably comes more from jealousy of watching you slide on by. And as you also said, they made the choice to drive a car.

Nice read - I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Garage
Dude, @NorthernRider, get your wife a bike! Haha.

Dude, @Klurejr, nice blog. I would love to join you on your next dream! I was looking at adventure bikes last winter, when I traded my FZ6 in for the V Star 950. I do not regret my decision, as my bike is a sweet, sweet, chill, cool, fun, comfy, sexy little ride. I want to keep it forever. However, I'm still aching for that adventure bike.

Have you seen any eveRide ADV videos on Youtube? He is an awesome dude. Think he lives in Utah...? Has a drone. Aerial footage. So cool. Check him out if you haven't. He's hardcore dual sport, inclined towards more dirt than road, but he was into a KLR 650 and a DRZ 400, primarily.

Thanks for sharing! I would be interested to know how Massachusetts drivers would take to lane splitting. There is a word for them, "Massholes", when they get behind the wheel. We all turn into a bunch of Massholes. - Except for me of course. On busy, tight New England backroads, I will be courteous and let in some big trucks etc. They give me a nice wave, hand up. This usually happens when I'm in my Jeep. (I'm better able to command traffic behind me to slightly, slightly slow for some trucker who has the opportunity to pull out. Ya know?)

Anyway. Thanks again. Maybe winter weather is getting to me, but I've been thinking about starting a blog, or writing. I think it's great what you have shared.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 01-10-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Garage
I agree with NorthernRider, easy layout, great read, and well written.
I can easily identify with many of the things you bring up.
I grew up in LA county when it was rural, and we started on dirt bikes riding the foothill and canyon trails. I remember watching bikers on the freeways lane splitting and thought how much time they were cutting down their travel time. In my opinion because there was such a high volume of motorcycles, motorists were used to sharing the roadways with them, and saw bikers lane splitting daily.
Here in East Tennessee, lane splitting is illegal, but it's a totally different commute world. It's all about 'me' now. That attitude is promoted in tv commercials and car ads.
Great blog, and thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys, After I posted the link I went back in the blog editor and found a way to make some adjustments for easier reading. Initially it was one long paragraph and looked horrible.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode