Tomtom issues? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By NCDaveD
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tomtom issues?

I purchased a Tomtom rider 400 before my holiday. The thing was great while working properly but it tried to lead me on a few wild goose chases along the way. It told me to turn off the highway and ended up telling me to turn into a farm paddock at one stage. It seemed to make several large navigation errors a day, so after day two I couldn't trust it at all. I love how you can see the approaching bends and speed cameras and especially fuel stops.
I preplanned the trip in my computer and loaded it onto the Tomtom.
Not sure whether to return it while I can or try to sort it out if I can?
Anyone else have experience with Tomtoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Welcome to the wild wild world of GPS and push button routes! I don't have a Tom Tom, but have been using a Garmin Nuvi for several years and recently used it to go across the USA from North Carolina to California. Where they shine is getting back to a location AFTER you have gotten yourself lost. For planning routes they are useful, but not very trustworthy (as you have found out). Every year here in the states there is a sad story of someone (or a family) that gets routed onto a long lost road and ends up dead or with hypothermia because they trusted their GPS and not a printed map.

My GPS often tries to route me off an interstate, just to drive a parallel road for miles, and then get back onto the same interstate....go figure. It tries to send me on the strangest routes to get to a destination, even after I use the computer to set up a particular route. It has had me make repetitive right turns forming a perfect square to get back to the route I am on.

At times it can be useful to route around a traffic backup or construction. For a technology that should by now be almost perfected, it does leave a LOT to be desired.

My riding buddy that went across country with me has the motorcycle version of the Garmin ($$$$), and between the two of them, we only got off route a couple of times. Those times we used paper maps (A US Road Atlas) to get back on track. Even though we would program them both with the same destination, they very seldom took us on the same route. If anyone knows a GPS that WON'T get you lost and will always follow a preprogrammed route, please let me know.

NCDaveD
chedobean and chedobean like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDaveD View Post
Welcome to the wild wild world of GPS and push button routes! I don't have a Tom Tom, but have been using a Garmin Nuvi for several years and recently used it to go across the USA from North Carolina to California. Where they shine is getting back to a location AFTER you have gotten yourself lost. For planning routes they are useful, but not very trustworthy (as you have found out). Every year here in the states there is a sad story of someone (or a family) that gets routed onto a long lost road and ends up dead or with hypothermia because they trusted their GPS and not a printed map.

My GPS often tries to route me off an interstate, just to drive a parallel road for miles, and then get back onto the same interstate....go figure. It tries to send me on the strangest routes to get to a destination, even after I use the computer to set up a particular route. It has had me make repetitive right turns forming a perfect square to get back to the route I am on.

At times it can be useful to route around a traffic backup or construction. For a technology that should by now be almost perfected, it does leave a LOT to be desired.

My riding buddy that went across country with me has the motorcycle version of the Garmin ($$$$), and between the two of them, we only got off route a couple of times. Those times we used paper maps (A US Road Atlas) to get back on track. Even though we would program them both with the same destination, they very seldom took us on the same route. If anyone knows a GPS that WON'T get you lost and will always follow a preprogrammed route, please let me know.

NCDaveD
Yep, that sounds like the sort of crap I was getting. thanks for the information, very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The annoying thing is that the iPhone seems much more reliable. But of course it won't work out of range of microwave towers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:57 PM

Garage
I was a long haul trucker for 10 years and never once trusted one of those things. Every couple of years I'd pick up a new atlas and used a computer map program for city streets (this was pre-smart phone times). I always managed to get to my destination without any issues. Heard lots of stories of people driving into lakes using them though. Can't quite figure that one out lol.
chedobean and chedobean like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode