What did i do wrong? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

What did i do wrong?

Ok i have a question for the bike gurus. here i go.
On my way to work. normal traffic doing around 40MPH light turns yellow i am too far to make it before red so i hit the front brake and the bike starts swerving all over the road and finally bike falls.
wondering if by any chance i hit the front brake to fast but what would happen in an emergency braking situation? my front brakes didn't work properly?
I am just a newbie that couldn't handle an 1100 bike? mind you road was wet because it heavily rained the night before but tires are like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Maybe you hit the fronts to hard and they locked up next time try to use both front and back an ease into the front or downshift hope you didn't get hurt

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I only hurt my ego and besides replacing the engine guard, left saddlebag and left mirror i am good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM

That's a good thing all that stuff can be replaced had a buddy of mine not to long ago hit an oil slick went down than got run over by the car behind him luckily it only got one leg

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Damn. Lucky enough i didn't even get a scratch.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Garage
How hard did you grab the front brake? Did it lock up, or did the steering just become really hard to hold while slowing?

Have you done any front brake testing since then? Do you normally get vibrations under hard braking?
chedobean and chedobean like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
How hard did you grab the front brake? Did it lock up, or did the steering just become really hard to hold while slowing?

Have you done any front brake testing since then? Do you normally get vibrations under hard braking?
hard to tell what exactly happened. the road was wet and i locked the front brake and then i couldn't control the bike. i just don't wanna make the same mistake again since i am a new rider.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
One other thought, roads around intersections are notorious for having oil, ac drip water, etc on the surface. You might have hit a slick spot and front tire locked up. This has happened to me but I've been lucky enough not to go down. I've learned to check road surface coming into intersections to see what part of the lane is the cleanest looking. Just take you bike to a big open parking lot and practice some panic stops to make sure nothing wrong with brakes
chedobean and chedobean like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
One other thought, roads around intersections are notorious for having oil, ac drip water, etc on the surface. You might have hit a slick spot and front tire locked up. This has happened to me but I've been lucky enough not to go down. I've learned to check road surface coming into intersections to see what part of the lane is the cleanest looking. Just take you bike to a big open parking lot and practice some panic stops to make sure nothing wrong with brakes
i would do that. i am gonna pass by the same road tomorrow just to see if there was oil on the road or something that could of made me loose control.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM

Garage
Glad you are ok. Because of the wet pavement maybe there was oil, etc. still on top of water in the intersection? Great suggestion about the parking lot practice. I practice often to hone skills, especially, emergency braking. None of us know when something unexpected could happen. Ride safe and enjoy!~YammyV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode