Selling a Bike - Test Rides - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Selling a Bike - Test Rides

How do you all handle test rides when you're selling a bike? I've seen some ads that say "no test rides", and I can't imagine buying a vehicle of any kind without driving/riding it... that said, now that I'm selling my bike, I can't help but feel a little nervous about letting someone ride off on it, lol.

So... do you ask for 'cash in hand' before letting someone test ride with a "you break it you buy it" kind of policy? And how do buyers feel about that kind of thing?

I've only ever bought two bikes... first one wouldn't turn over so a test ride wasn't an option. Second one the guy was more than happy to let me take it for a good ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
That's actually a good question CT. From an LEOs perspective, if they're a serious buyer, I'd verify they have a valid drivers license and proof of current insurance. If they're a legit person, they won't hesitate showing you the appropriate paperwork. And....yes you can request to see them, it's your property and you're the owner. You may let your insurance company know what's going on and get their feedback. Insurance companies vary so much from state to state. Just my 0.2 cents worth, hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejtaylor822 and ejtaylor822 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Garage
if you don't trust them put them on the back for a ride, i personally wouldn't let someone i don't know ride off on my bike with me standing there wondering if or when they are coming back

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

CT,
I've sold two bikes and only one out of four potential buyers that wanted a test ride and it worked out fine. As for the buyers, one didn't test ride only sat on it and the other didn't want a test ride but ask to drive along side to listen as I changed gears.

IMO go with your gut. Ask for cash in hand if it makes you comfortable, your gonna give them the title at that point anyway. If they walk up to the meeting place that's a hard no. Chances are they may not come back.
Good luck.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM

first pay, then bike

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Elk

I said full asking price in hand for a test ride. I also held the guys son hostage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Garage
Interesting topic. I have a bike for sale, but so far I have only had one inquiry, and when I asked about riding experience the prospective buyer got a bit cagey, so I told him the price was firm, cash in hand. Didn't hear from him again. That being said, anyone interested in a slightly modified Boulevard?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
I have sold 2 bikes and the same as Apples, a lot don't want to test ride. But a few do. I have turned a few down for a test ride even after verifying that they had a license. Best advice is go with your gut, if it don't feel right it probably is not.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 PM
KCW

Garage
Dont let anyone ride your bike unless they have a valid MC license, or it will be YOUR butt on the line.

Your insurance covers the bike, not the person, so if you let someone ride it you are covered.

Since they showed you their license, if they want a test ride, hold their license. If they dont come back you call the cops and you have their ID. And most likely their car is still in your driveway.

One sticky point is how they get the bike home if they buy it. I have driven my car that I just sold to other peoples homes, so they can get the car there with 'my plates'. Then I take the plates off and ride home with my wife or son. Dont let anyone ride off with your plates on the vehicle, because once money changes hands, its not yours anymore and the plates are not valid.

The thing to be aware of is how this all happens. If they ask YOU "will you drive it to my house?" they could be setting you up. If you ask them how they will get the bike home, and they come up empty, then you can offer to ride it there. Its up to you, and its on your terms that way.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There's no plates/insurance on the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode