Options for Short Riders - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Options for Short Riders

Just got myself an '02 V-Star 650 and I'm curious if there any any options/modifications that can be done to make it more comfortable to ride... I'm only 5'4" and have to lean forward a ways to keep my hands on the handlebars when turning, also not sure the seated position will be very comfortable for longer rides. So... what could I look at changing for my vertically-challenged self?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Look into handlebar risers. You can buy and install various sizes that will bring the bars back towards you. Another option would be different bars, but that will entail more work. I've done the risers on my Roadliner, and have been very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Clif ~

'07 Roadliner Midnight (Kuryakyn RTB controller/Cobra Dragsters/FI2000/sissy bar/drivers' backrest)

'09 950T - Black Cherry (chrome belt guard/chrome lower side cover/oem passing lamps/Spyker airbox mod/MCC seat mods/oem medium shield)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW what a ride!"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
I agree with crperryman, risers come in several sizes. There's a decent amount of aftermarket items available for the 650s, at least there was a couple of years ago before I traded in my 650 for my 950.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Garage
you can just lean your existing bars back a little more.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

there are also aftermarket seats that will sit you up slightly higher and forwards

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 AM
KCW

Garage
definitely check the rear spring preload setting (under the seat on the mono shock).

They are normally set for 200 lb riders. If you weigh less the rear spring will be too stiff, and the bike will sit higher.

look in the owners manual for instructions, and your tool kit for the wrench.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:42 PM

My wife is quite, ummm... vertically challenged, at a hair under five feet, (115 lbs) but she manages just fine on her new 650 Custom with no mods whatsoever. When we ordered the bike I was concerned that she might have an issue with comfortably reaching the foot pegs, (she has just shy of a 28" inseam) or the hand controls, or even the ground for that matter... but she has done just fine, finds it very comfortable. I am almost six feet and 200+ lbs, and it fits me perfectly as well. This bike truly is "one-size-fits-all"!

Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 AM
KCW

Garage
Nice photos.

Im 6 foot exactly and I feel cramped on my 650 Classic after about an hour. the fact that 5' 0" can ride just fine explains that. (my inseam is 34") !

Im going to mod my seat this spring with a bit more foam to keep me from sliding forward, and to put a tail bone groove down the center, which should bring me up and back a bit.

I never ride for more than a few hours at at time, and I do like squeaking out 59.999 mpg commuting, but if I ever decide to go long distance riding I will definitely want a bigger bike, and a windshield and fairing.

Maybe I should not say this out loud here, but I have always been fond of the early Goldwings, up to about 1200. For an engineer the boxer engine is the ideal design for a multi piston engine.

EDITED: my bike is a 2005 650 Classic...

Last edited by KCW; 04-11-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
and I do like squeaking out 59.999 mpg commuting
Nearly 60 mpg, really?

What year is your Custom and how do you have it set up?

I have an '04 Classic and I'm in the low 40's.

Luscious!, Lucy Belle & Beauty
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:29 PM
KCW

Garage
my classic it completely stock except for my back rest and lunch bag right behind it. No windshield, no bags in the wind.

My commute is nearly a perfect 45mph the whole way and only a few consistent red lights, so Im puttering at 45 in 5th gear nearly all the time... its also a 15 mile trip each way, so the bike is running warmed up nearly the whole time.

but I have never quite hit 60mpg commuting, always just under.

I have hit the low 60s on longer trips with no stops/traffic, but still not getting much over 55mph.

The rule of physics for speed on any vehicle is to go twice as fast requires 8 times the HP

which means (all things being even) going twice as fast uses 4 times as much fuel (because you are using 8 times the HP but for only half the time to go the same distance). The graph of this would indicate 60 mpg at 45mph means only 15 mpg at 90mph on my bike. Never tried to measure that!

That does not hold up all the way down to 1mph, because at somewhere below 40 you start using more fuel keeping the engine running than you are using moving the bike. At 0 mph you are getting 0mpg with the engine running.

Last edited by KCW; 04-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode