BTW, Bill (American), I'd say this forum, "has come alive:". Good on you! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

BTW, Bill (American), I'd say this forum, "has come alive:". Good on you!

The forum was created before your arrival...but you got the heart started, and blood flowing...Good on you!
Much appreciated!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:38 PM

There is potential to grow this section of the forum as more people purchase these third generation Yamaha Star Venture touring motorcycles, plus it lets the people with older bikes that may be looking for something a little more comfortable and touring friendly a place to learn about this bike and all of its features and any work arounds that people find.

The other forum had the momentum but they let it slip away, here there is a chance to build the third generation Star Venture forum.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
There is potential to grow this section of the forum as more people purchase these third generation Yamaha Star Venture touring motorcycles, plus it lets the people with older bikes that may be looking for something a little more comfortable and touring friendly a place to learn about this bike and all of its features and any work arounds that people find.

The other forum had the momentum but they let it slip away, here there is a chance to build the third generation Star Venture forum.
I agree! Each of us is racking up miles under different conditions and terrain and then sharing our experiences both positive and negative.
The other site is stuck not wanting to embrace Yamaha’s new direction. While I know it’s not everyone’s choice in type of bike, at least here people are not actively running it down and are encouraging us to share about it.
Let’s keep it rollin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
The forum was created before your arrival...but you got the heart started, and blood flowing...Good on you!
Much appreciated!

Joe
Amen Joe!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I agree! Each of us is racking up miles under different conditions and terrain and then sharing our experiences both positive and negative.
The other site is stuck not wanting to embrace Yamaha’s new direction. While I know it’s not everyone’s choice in type of bike, at least here people are not actively running it down and are encouraging us to share about it.
Let’s keep it rollin!
Exactly! Well stated! To other site members, it's just another bike. We own that bike, so are actively discussing and promoting it. They have other rides or mandates to ride, but...they aren't lambasting the fact of what Yamaha did, or did not do, with the Venture line, now and into the future. That is the marked difference. SVTC owners are welcome here, and you feel that, by other non-SVTC riders. If their curiosity is peaked by our discussions and real-world experiences, than it enriches them as well. They might even start thinking of checking the bike out on their own. You never know. We all had other rides before we became owners....myself, a Goldwing, American, his Harley, and you Chief, I can't remember what you had previously, sorry...please remind me...but the point is...we all came from other rides, or manufacturers.

I just feel, here, you can discuss ANY bike, even a non-STAR or Star branded bike. People just like discussion here and don't feel so TRIBAL! My take.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Let’s keep it rollin!
Exactly! Well stated! To other site members, it's just another bike. We own that bike, so are actively discussing and promoting it. They have other rides or mandates to ride, but...they aren't lambasting the fact of what Yamaha did, or did not do, with the Venture line, now and into the future. That is the marked difference. SVTC owners are welcome here, and you feel that, by other non-SVTC riders. If their curiosity is peaked by our discussions and real-world experiences, than it enriches them as well. They might even start thinking of checking the bike out on their own. You never know. We all had other rides before we became owners....myself, a Goldwing, American, his Harley, and you Chief, I can't remember what you had previously, sorry...please remind me...but the point is...we all came from other rides, or manufacturers.

I just feel, here, you can discuss ANY bike, even a non-STAR or Star branded bike. People just like discussion here and don't feel so TRIBAL! My take. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
My last ride WAS one of the ones the other site can’t let go of. It was a 91 Venture Royale that I had Custom painted to a 96 Dodge Viper RT Blue! See pic.
I really liked the bike, but this new SVTC in my opinion is far more comfortable and much more set up for long distance touring. The NAV, stereo, traffic & weather, phone interface, tire pressure monitoring, passenger comfort, storage area etc all combine to make this bike what Touring is all about. Also, the whole tenor of the bike at cruising speeds is much more relaxed. A low non hurried thrum rather than a busier sounding rev froma V4. Personally I think it adds to the “relaxed” aura of the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:05 AM
KCW

Garage
^

a guy down the street from me had a MC with a for sale $3000 sign on it two years ago.

It was a 1999 Royal star with windshield and saddle bags. It had a few hundred miles on the odo.

He bought it from a storage unit auction, was only allowed to look in from the door and see it was a big motorcycle.

He thought it was a harley, and was disappointed. It seemed to run fine, he had to get the title cleared thru the auction site, and now he wanted to sell it and buy a harley.

Im an honest guy - if a store or an estate or an auction is selling something for way less than its worth, I will be happy to get a good deal. When it comes to individuals I wont take advantage of someone. $3000 is a reasonable price for an 18 year old Royal Star, the low mileage is great, but there could be maintenance things to deal with. So I told the guy (20 something, young son, not a lot of money) that I can understand wanting to have a HD cruiser or bagger bike, but you are going to be really hard pressed to find much more than a decent sportster for $3000, and you will never find a harley with less than 1000 miles on the odo for that kind of money.

I told him vstar bikes are the most reliable bike on the market, strongly encouraged him to at least put plates on it and ride it for a few weeks, and then if you dont like it call me and I will give you $3k.

He never called me. I ride past his house every day on my commute. I will have to stop by on the weekend someday if I see his garage open, I think he kept it.

I doubt he paid more than $2k for the container auction win. I dont think he knew what he was doing at the time, because no harley ever made had four mufflers coming out the back and the windshield had the Yamaha logo on the frame, so which ever way the bike was parked in the container he should have known it was not a Harley when he bought it.

But... yes, the Royal star bikes are excellent, and I can understand if they have a cult like following that howled at the moon then yamaha stopped putting the V4 in their touring bikes. Its just human nature - you get 25% of the neurons in your brain tuned into something, and then its gone.

I mentioned in another thread the house I lived in from the time I was born till I was 19 was torn down. Its weird because I still remember every inch of that house, and yard, and garage 40 years later now since I moved away. All those neurons in my brain are now taken up for something that does not even exist anymore.... I get it .

Bottom line is this: I have a great deal of respect for the engineers at Yamaha - they have certainly earned it. The same people that designed and produced the V4 now have decided to build the Venture series with a new engine. I know they did not decide "hey, lets make it worse than it was, because everyone wants a crappy touring bike!"

They know what they are doing, its all good.

Last edited by KCW; 06-30-2018 at 10:10 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My last ride WAS one of the ones the other site can’t let go of. It was a 91 Venture Royale that I had Custom painted to a 96 Dodge Viper RT Blue! See pic.
I really liked the bike, but this new SVTC in my opinion is far more comfortable and much more set up for long distance touring. The NAV, stereo, traffic & weather, phone interface, tire pressure monitoring, passenger comfort, storage area etc all combine to make this bike what Touring is all about. Also, the whole tenor of the bike at cruising speeds is much more relaxed. A low non hurried thrum rather than a busier sounding rev froma V4. Personally I think it adds to the “relaxed” aura of the bike.
That was a beautiful job you did on the custom paint, Chief!!! I'm sure you were very proud in the ownership of the V.R.

About your comment on the non-hurried thrum of the muffler tips....yes...who would think that that could turn out to be really a prime, unique 'feature'?!? Coming directly off of a GoldWing GL1800 Premium Sound/Nav model and not experiencing what I am now,...but I totally (and my wife 100 % agreement) with her,(!!!!, and our touring friends that WON'T pass us, since we got the SVTC...truly...nobody wants to pass us....(large smile)), that the 'engineered' exhaust (I explained how Yamaha Sound, the same Company that for some, power's their home entertainment system!) not only in-house, designed the wonderful sound system on the SVTC, but actually, in the lab...and sound studio, created the exact sound they wanted to hear from the SVTC at idle, ramp up, cruise, down stroke, idle, all throughout its rev range, and they are/were amazed as we are, that even the sound of a motorcycle was planned for...engineered for. My friends, GoldWinger's, BMW'ers, Triumph'ers, Kawasaki'ers,...ALL want to stay behind us...for as you and I both say, and have experienced, the deep bass 'thrum' of the pipes, relaxes...heck, the wife of my friend on the Yamaha in our Burgers 'n Beer pick at Hell, Michigan, who took the snap of us ahead of them...was the one that said that our exhaust note actually RELAXED the both of them...and had no reason/intention of getting ahead of us, or taking the lead. Our friend (who was guiding us on the back roads, on his RS1100 BMW, was always on that run, in the lead) kept saying at lunch, HE wants a turn behind us...LOL! Never got it.....lol!

I have to share with you, a little laugh...we were the first ones after our late lunch/dinner on the way back from Hell....yeah, you can escape it, if you are good, LOL...anyway....since we were the ones to say the first good-byes...and as the restaurant was on the side of the on ramp to the highway....I put Charlotte into Sport Mode, and told my wife to hold on...(she said in the Intercom..."er...why?"). Three seconds later, my wrist gave her answer...LOLOLOLOL!----------------------------wrist bend------------------------wham....zoom.....(to the moon, Alice...to the moon!) and you should have heard that beeeeea-utiful deep bass THRUMmmm head out towards our friends ears, still in the restaurant's parking lot. I later got a call from our Yamaha friend...who said, "THANKS a lot!" He and his wife are now in serious discussion of buying either a 2018, or waiting until the Fall to get the best negotiated price ON a 2018, or just buy the 2019 model. His wife (he likes it too...but she is most vocal) really likes everything about Charlotte, (wants to sit on a 'throne' like my wife...her words, lol) loves the authoritative sound from the pipes, but in no way (her words) loud enough to p*ss off anybody around them, or their (her worry for night arrivals) neighbors.

Coffee induced finger tapping here, so I'd better leave off...lol...but in all my bikes, in all the years...I have NEVER had ANYBODY comment on the sound, either coming from a start-up, idle, or under load....that this Star Venture Transcontinental has. Never before. I guess, Yamaha Corp really used all their assets on this one....

Before I leave off on this post, Chief...I have an account with Sirius Sat, on a portable, and use that between the car, house, SVTC (through the line-in) but...do you have to subscribe to the weather and road data? Does that come with a subscription to the on-board radio? I'd like that as well....so, what's the skinny on that?

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 06-30-2018 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
That was a beautiful job you did on the custom paint, Chief!!! I'm sure you were very proud in the ownership of the V.R.

About your comment on the non-hurried thrum of the muffler tips....yes...who would think that that could turn out to be really a prime, unique 'feature'?!? Coming directly off of a GoldWing GL1800 Premium Sound/Nav model and not experiencing what I am now,...but I totally (and my wife 100 % agreement) with her,(!!!!, and our touring friends that WON'T pass us, since we got the SVTC...truly...nobody wants to pass us....(large smile)), that the 'engineered' exhaust (I explained how Yamaha Sound, the same Company that for some, power's their home entertainment system!) not only in-house, designed the wonderful sound system on the SVTC, but actually, in the lab...and sound studio, created the exact sound they wanted to hear from the SVTC at idle, ramp up, cruise, down stroke, idle, all throughout its rev range, and they are/were amazed as we are, that even the sound of a motorcycle was planned for...engineered for. My friends, GoldWinger's, BMW'ers, Triumph'ers, Kawasaki'ers,...ALL want to stay behind us...for as you and I both say, and have experienced, the deep bass 'thrum' of the pipes, relaxes...heck, the wife of my friend on the Yamaha in our Burgers 'n Beer pick at Hell, Michigan, who took the snap of us ahead of them...was the one that said that our exhaust note actually RELAXED the both of them...and had no reason/intention of getting ahead of us, or taking the lead. Our friend (who was guiding us on the back roads, on his RS1100 BMW, was always on that run, in the lead) kept saying at lunch, HE wants a turn behind us...LOL! Never got it.....lol!

I have to share with you, a little laugh...we were the first ones after our late lunch/dinner on the way back from Hell....yeah, you can escape it, if you are good, LOL...anyway....since we were the ones to say the first good-byes...and as the restaurant was on the side of the on ramp to the highway....I put Charlotte into Sport Mode, and told my wife to hold on...(she said in the Intercom..."er...why?"). Three seconds later, my wrist gave her answer...LOLOLOLOL!----------------------------wrist bend------------------------wham....zoom.....(to the moon, Alice...to the moon!) and you should have heard that beeeeea-utiful deep bass THRUMmmm head out towards our friends ears, still in the restaurant's parking lot. I later got a call from our Yamaha friend...who said, "THANKS a lot!" He and his wife are now in serious discussion of buying either a 2018, or waiting until the Fall to get the best negotiated price ON a 2018, or just buy the 2019 model. His wife (he likes it too...but she is most vocal) really likes everything about Charlotte, (wants to sit on a 'throne' like my wife...her words, lol) loves the authoritative sound from the pipes, but in no way (her words) loud enough to p*ss off anybody around them, or their (her worry for night arrivals) neighbors.

Coffee induced finger tapping here, so I'd better leave off...lol...but in all my bikes, in all the years...I have NEVER had ANYBODY comment on the sound, either coming from a start-up, idle, or under load....that this Star Venture Transcontinental has. Never before. I guess, Yamaha Corp really used all their assets on this one....

Before I leave off on this post, Chief...I have an account with Sirius Sat, on a portable, and use that between the car, house, SVTC (through the line-in) but...do you have to subscribe to the weather and road data? Does that come with a subscription to the on-board radio? I'd like that as well....so, what's the skinny on that?

Cheers,

Joe
There are pros and cons to the onboard weather reporting, I found during the 2 week trial period that Sirius did recently that it would pop up on the infotainment screen and you at first think wow, that is nice and you clear it from the screen but it will pop back up every so often and for me it kind of became a pain in the butt, plus it was telling me I had a tropical storm warning two days after that was lifted. It also flashed up on the screen that we had a flash flood warning as well, and it to would pop up more than once and became kind of a pain. For me it is something I can live without.

You still have the weather band on the radio if you really want to know the current weather conditions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 PM
KCW

Garage
If you want to watch the weather radar in a vehicle, use the intellicast.com active weather map, zoom it to your area - it has pretty good resolution on the street maps, and you can see where its raining around you, and where its going.

I dont use a cell phone on my MC, but I have gotten really good with that website at home in the morning to see if I can make it to work, and sometime whether I should take the northern or southern route.

I have gotten sprinkles a few times going to work but never got caught in a downpour. Coming back home I dont care if I get wet, I can change my clothes when I get home. A few times I just made it to work - I could see the downpour under the clouds in the sky coming as I pulled in the driveway, and ran in the front door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode