Saddlebag lid rubber bumpers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Saddlebag lid rubber bumpers

Keep an eye on the saddlebag lids rubber bumpers, there are two on each saddlebag.

I was cleaning the rims with the bike jacked up on my J&S jack and I walked away for a moment and came back and saw a rubber piece on the floor, it looked like some kind of rubber bumper but I could not figure out where in the heck it came from, after looking at the underside and the side covers I thought this might be a saddlebag bumper for the lid. The bumper was on the left side on the ground at the rear of the bike.

So I thought for a second and said to myself when they changed the oil they had to open the left saddlebag lid to check the oil during the oil change. Sure enough the front rubber bumper was missing. When the shop was unscrewing/screwing in the dip stick the guy knocked off the rubber bumper on the front of the saddlebag next to were the dip stick is located.

I have not opened the left saddlebag until today after finding the rubber bumper on the floor to check if it did come from the saddlebag.

I guess I am lucky it did not fall onto the road when I rode back from the dealer and while on my ride this morning.

These rubber bumpers just slide into a slot but you would have to actually hit it to knock it out of the slot that holds it.

Just one more reason not to let that dealer touch my Yamaha Star Venture again. No one takes as much care and pride in your motorcycle than you do. I am still cleaning off overspray from the spray lube they used. Clearly the shade tree mechanic they had do the service takes no pride in his work product.

My apologies to all shade tree mechanics as I am one of them these days, I am just a little better equipped than most tool and equipment wise.

The rubber bumpers I am talking about are in the photo I attached, just check them each time you open your saddlebag lids and you should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	81098  

Last edited by American; 07-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Garage
Since it's in a place easily knocked off maybe put a tad of clear RTV on the back to secure. You would just use a little bit, couldn't see it and still easily removed if needed. I've done it before in simular situations and works great.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Not a bad idea, the bumpers are actually on pretty snug you have to really hit them to make them pop out of their holder.

You really just have to be careless to knock off the bumper on the left front of the saddlebag, I am attaching a photo that shows both the dip stick and the rubber that was knocked off as you can see they are offset a pretty good distance, I have never touched the rubber bumper when checking the oil.

LOL, I took the photo and three small drops of oil show up right under the dip stick handle, damn the guy that did the work just takes zero pride in his work, man it just drives me nuts when people are so careless. A single drop of oil I can accept, a single finger print I can overlook, but lube overspray, greasy/oily finger prints all over the bike, dragging a dirty greasy shoe over the top of the seat and not cleaning it, I just don't understand how someone can think they have done a good job when they have made such a mess of someones vehicle they have just worked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	81100  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Garage
See what you mean about being a distance from dip stick. Did you have the work done on a hangover Monday or a want to go home Friday? Seems like now days most people do not take pride in their work. It's simple things that get me at times. Like my neighbor blowing his grass clippings onto my sidewalk. I've asked him not to do it but still does. So everytime he does I just blow it back on his. It stays there until wind blow it away. On a side note, maybe it's just me but customer service is a thing of the past in most instantance. Seems to be only the more mature generation gives customer service on a consistent basis.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
See what you mean about being a distance from dip stick. Did you have the work done on a hangover Monday or a want to go home Friday? Seems like now days most people do not take pride in their work. It's simple things that get me at times. Like my neighbor blowing his grass clippings onto my sidewalk. I've asked him not to do it but still does. So everytime he does I just blow it back on his. It stays there until wind blow it away. On a side note, maybe it's just me but customer service is a thing of the past in most instantance. Seems to be only the more mature generation gives customer service on a consistent basis.
LOL, work was done mid week on a Wednesday morning.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
LOL, work was done mid week on a Wednesday morning.
Well, there goes that theory! Chalk it up to just not giving a crap about excellence in what they do.
That dealership won’t be around much longer. I guarantee it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 PM

It is sad but it happens. I am so skeptical when I need to bring the bike in for service. ☹️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode