not so good vibrations - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zippie
  • 1 Post By American
  • 1 Post By Zippie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
not so good vibrations

For those of you with high miles, have you noticed some vibrations at or above 70/75mph? Got about 800 miles on her and loving the bike, just wondering if perhaps she is still breaking in at those higher rpms/mph and they will eventually fade away?
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 PM
KCW

Garage
you got use to that FJR 4 cylinder.

4 and 3 cylinder bikes can be mechanically balanced (Center of mass of the engine never changes while the engine is spinning).

The only way to do that with a 2 cylinder bike is a horizontal / boxer engine. V twins will have some vibration, and at one specific rpm it will find a resonance in the engine mounts and you will feel it and hear it.

On my 650 its from 60 to 63mph in 5th gear. When Im riding in a 55mph zone it acts as my speed warning - I dont have to look down at the speedo, its always there.

As you ride the bike more and more, you will become more aware of the subtle nuances. It took me a year before I noticed the cool Phtwoo! sound the AIS makes when I upshift if I get on the throttle.

Last edited by KCW; 06-30-2018 at 08:14 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 PM

No vibrations but in 5th and 6th gear you do feel the pulse of the V-Twin engine that can be mistaken for a vibration, if that is what you are feeling you will get used to it and soon you will hardly notice it unless you think about it.

You are in your break-in period until you hit 1,000 miles but the transmission/primary are gear driven and they will likely take a good 20,000 to 30,000 miles to fully break in and get their smoothest.

My 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour took 30,000 miles and it was a gear driven primary and transmission.

My Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low took 20,000 miles but it was a chain driven primary to go along with the transmission gears.

I am currently thinking at the 4,100 mile mark on this Yamaha Star Venture that the primary/transmission may be broken in by the 20,000 mile mark the way it feels now.

You are always going to feel some vibration on these V-Twins because they are not balanced completely. While this Yamaha Star Venture uses two counter balance shafts it still has some vibration. I would say you have nothing to worry about and will soon get used to it.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks KCW and American. Both posts actually speak truths to me with regards to being used to the FJR and the vibration in 5/6th gears. Puts my mind at ease. Again first cruiser/vtwin so I am bound to have noobish questions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM
KCW

Garage
How did you like the FJR1300? Thinking of getting one for highway trips and 500 mile days.

Another member here sold his vstar and got an FJR, had it for a few months, then got another Vstar. If I remember right he said he could never get comfortable on the seat.

I always travel solo and very light, so I could take the suit cases off the back wheel and ditch the trunk if it has one, and just hit the highways.

I like my 650 classic on secondary roads with 55mph speed limits, but to ride the interstate highways I have to put the windshield and fork deflectors on it. Then when I get where Im going it sucks to ride around at 45mph on a warm day with a windshield on the bike. Also the aerodynamics on my Vstar with the windshield are just acceptable at 75mph. I would expect the FJR to be more aerodynamic.

Last edited by KCW; 06-30-2018 at 08:25 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Honestly the FJR is an all around excellent bike with the one exception being that stock seat. I changed mine to Sergeant seats and they were leaps and bounds better. Once I did that I could ride 12 hour days and be good to go.
Sounds like an FJR would be a good fit for you. The windshield being adjustable meant you can either direct the air up or directly at your face, which is where I usually had it, with a full face helmet. The bags are easy to take off and the bike handles pretty damn good for as big as she is.
KCW likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 PM
KCW

Garage
I keep seeing them about 10 years old, for $4k to $5k, some with less than 30k miles...

the new ones are around $16k, but they have that nice helical gear transmission that is nearly silent...

My clear-headed-brain plan is to wait and buy a bike next summer, and maybe get a new one, or at least a used one with the new transmission.

But my emotional brain keeps seeing those $4k bikes on craigslist...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode