08 Wing to 18 Venture - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

08 Wing to 18 Venture

We have an 08 Wing with 125 k on it. We do lots of 5000 mile tours on our Wing. I was looking forward to the new Wing but for us I fear it falls short of our needs. I love the new Yamaha, it checks all of my marks except for being a vtwin air cooled engine ��. If you guys can answer a few questions I'd appreciate it.

Coming off the Wing, how much more heat and vibration will I experience?
Is there passenger armrest available?
Is the highway pegs available?
Drivers heated backrest, does it have a pouch for the wife on the back?
Enough electrical capacity for heated gear?
I'd like to hear general observations compared to the Wing.
Dark side possible?
Is there deals to be had on purchasing one?

Last edited by Bucfan11; 06-30-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
We have an 08 Wing with 125 k on it. We do lots of 5000 mile tours on our Wing. I was looking forward to the new Wing but for us I fear it falls short of our needs. I love the new Yamaha, it checks all of my marks except for being a vtwin air cooled engine 😢. If you guys can answer a few questions I'd appreciate it.

Hi Bucfan, having no wing ownership experience I’m going to defer to YamahaParExcellance (Joe) who has a great deal having owned multiple wings.
I have ridden wings though.
There is clearly more room on the SVTC both for the passenger & the rider. The rider feet position are already stretched out so needing highway pegs is TRULY optional and not necessary. If you truly feel the need for highway pegs/boards, Kuryakyn Longhorn are recommended and just need 1” clamps.
The back rest does NOT have a pouch. Neither the stock nor the tall version offered by Yamaha. Ultimate HAS come out with one for the SVTC like what you’re talking about.
Ragarding electrical capacity. All the wings have a SINGLE 375 watt generator. The SVTC has TWO 375 watt generators! MORE than enough power!
Regarding passenger armrests: I haven’t seen anyone offering anything like that as yet, but it does not mean they won’t. Bike was just released in December and Big Bike was the first to produce a ball type trailer hitch for it. That was just done in mid April. Another company (can’t rememeber name) is now producing a receiver type trailer hitch for the SVTC.
The heat IMHO is a NON issue. There is no “vibration” to speak of, you can however gently feel the power pulses of the motor in a non fatiguing way. The motor and ride has a much less “busy” feel to it.
As far as specific difference observations, again I’ll defer to those with much more wing experience than I.

Welcome aboard and thanks for inquiring!

Chief
Bucfan11 likes this.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

i don't know how good of a deal you can find on a brand new model at the height of riding season. seems like the worst possible time to try to purchase one at some kind of discount.
KCW likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
We have an 08 Wing with 125 k on it. We do lots of 5000 mile tours on our Wing. I was looking forward to the new Wing but for us I fear it falls short of our needs. I love the new Yamaha, it checks all of my marks except for being a vtwin air cooled engine ��. If you guys can answer a few questions I'd appreciate it.

Dark side possible?
I will try to answer some of your questions, my experience with the GoldWing is from a 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 I bought new back in 1990, it was a left over that the dealer used as a demonstrator bike.

1. Heat and Vibration: Heat is no worse than any other motorcycle that is air cooled, will you feel some heat, yes, but I have ridden in temps as high as 96 degrees and heat from the engine was a none issue for me, I live in Southwest Florida where it gets hot and humid. Vibration, this bike is very smooth you will feel the V-Twin engine pulse that some mistake for vibration but you will quickly get used to it and before you know it you will not even notice it unless you look for it. The engine has so much low end torque that you can accelerate without having to down shift but yes you will feel the V-Twin pulse that some mistake for vibration. Over all this bike is very smooth and comfortable, my wife loves the rear seat, she says it is the most comfortable seat of all our past bikes, 1989 GoldWing GL1500, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and a 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low.

2. No arm rests available yet but as the aftermarket starts to ramp up someone will likely make a set at some point. My wife has never asked for a set of arm rest for this bike, the only bike we had rear arm rests on was our 1989 GoldWing GL1500.

3. There are aftermarket highway pegs that can be installed, but this bike gives you lots of room to move your feet around, I have never felt the need for a set of highway pegs on my motorcycles with floorboards.

4. No pouch on the back of the Yamaha tall backrest, as ChiefGunner said Ultimate has developed traditional style backrest that does include a pouch on it. You can purchase the Ultimate backrest if the pouch is mandatory. If you purchase a Transcontinental model the rear passenger gets two cubby holes one on each side below the speakers to put small things.

5. Paired alternators – mounted low and forward in the engine cases – provide ample electrical power for the heated seats and grips, audio system and lighting. With 750 watts of total output, riders can add common electrical accessories and usual heated apparel without taxing the motorcycle’s charging system.

6. I can only compare this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental with my 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 and in that side by side the Star Venture will soundly beat the GoldWing GL1500, now understand we are talking about a lot of advancements since the GL1500 came out. The GoldWing GL1500 was a awesome motorcycle and there are GL1500's still in service today but the Star Venture is just hands down a better motorcycle as it has all the advancements over the years that the GL1500 does not have.

For rider seat comfort, I find this Star Venture has the better stock seat, the GL1500 seat would cause me to squirm at about the 1 hour mark of riding. The rear seat is close in comfort with the Star Venture just eking out the win according to my wife.

Ride of both bikes is comfortable but the Star Venture is the more sporty of the two when you get to a set of curves, the GL1500 was good the Star Venture is better, again advancement in technology gives the Star Venture the win.

Ease of maintenance, changing the oil is much easier on the Star Venture, everything is out in the open, you do have to remove the seat to add oil for the dry sump oil tank. Seat removal is easy just two Allen screws one on each side of the front of the seat and unplug one electrical connector for the heated seat and it slides forward a little and lifts right off. Sounds like a pain, but in real life it is quick and easy to do.

7. Darkside, I am sure it is possible but the way this bike handles I am not sure you would want to as it would effect how responsive this bike is due to the flat surface of the rear tire. I had to replace my rear tire due to a screw that was large and went in at an angle and tore the casing inside the tire, this screw was pretty bad and just the angle it went in just made repairing the tire impossible.

I replaced the tire at 3,291 miles on it, the stock Bridgestone has 9/32 of tread on them, my tire that I replaced still had 8/32 of tread on it. So I got out the calculator and did a quick calculation and in this case lets just do 3,000 miles per 1/32 of tread wear and go until there are 2/32 of tread left so you would use 7/32 of tread. 3000 x 7 = 21,000 miles. If you want to push the tire one more 1/32 you are up to 24,000 miles of tread life, that is pretty darn good. Lets do the same calculation using my actual mileage. 3,291 x 7 = 23,037 and if you want to push it another 1/32 tread wear that goes up to 26,328. Again it all depends on how you ride but the possibility is there to get some very good mileage out of the tires on the Star Venture.

Tread wear depends on how each person rides, an aggressive rider will wear out a tire quicker than a non aggressive rider, I fall into the non aggressive rider side of things, i.e. I do not redline the engine on take offs, I am more laid back and enjoy the lazy ride type.

8. Deals, well not where I live they are selling everyone they get in, but there is a dealer in Alabama that has run an auction on one that they discounted the auction price, but when you went to their dealer web site there were no discounts on the dealer web page, I did not call them but it all depends on the dealer you have as to getting a discount or not. I did not get a discount on mine.

Here is a good breakdown of the 2018 Star Venture motorcycle: https://www.baggersmag.com/yamaha-in...w-star-venture

Here is a quick video someone did that shows you the size difference between the new Honda GoldWing Tour vs the new Yamaha Star Venture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1m...&frags=pl%2Cwn
Bucfan11 likes this.

Last edited by American; 07-01-2018 at 10:40 AM.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Dark side possible?
Hi there,

I would have replied sooner, but was away from my computer most of the last two days.

So, what is it like to have owned or own, a 2008 GoldWing, and have, or think of having a change up in the game play...? This is my opinion and modus operandi in operating our 2018 SVTC:

Wonderful. You will, 'real-world' experience, about the same acceleration and motive performance as you have, and I had on our 2008 GoldWings. Your motive performance on the Wing, is from horsepower, and from 2,800 to the red line for passing. On the SVTC, your power comes in at 1,500-2,000 rpm, where you have full peak torque (as the premier driving force on the SVTC) only 2,400-2,500 rpm off of idle (!!!), and you will never have to EVER take the engine over 3,200 rpm, at any time, to high speed cruise, pass, to ramp up to cruising speeds on on-ramps. In fact, you would never most have to take the 113 c.i. over 3,000 at any time, for any scenario. This engine packs torque almost off of idle. THAT is where this engine finds its 'sweet' mojo....high, early on torque, at unbelievably low rpm generation, and not rapid horsepower generated by high rpm figures.

Let me give you some figures, and you can judge them in how you operate your 2008 Wing.

I have six gears...and here is how I use them with my wife and full weight compliment of touring gear.

I shift into second gear pretty much as soon as I have forward momentum, and the clutch lever disengaged.

From second, I shift into 3 rd at 1500-1700. Yes...do NOT need to go above those rpm's, and am certainly not lugging this fantastic engine!

From 4 rth to 5th at around 1,700-1,800 (not above 2,000 ever).

I will stay in 4th or 5th in the city and only will use 6th, when nearing 60 mph and above.

This is important: I let the torque of the engine build and take me up in rpm, and not so much throttle. I will set the throttle (wrist position), and not mature the setting as the engine rpm climbs...but will keep it in one wrist position, and let the torque carry me up to my next shift point.

If I am getting on a highway, then I will keep moving the throttle as more advanced, until I hit my rpm shift point, only to hurry the process of merging along faster. Once there...I settle in around 60 mph, (my wife and I have really enjoyed dropping down from what used to be our normal 70-75 mph, as this bike is so darn relaxing...and fun...that 60 mph is the sweet spot now for us) 60 mph in 6th gear, is exactly 2050 rpm...which is the rpm of a 535 hp commercial diesel in fact! This motor I'd say, runs exactly pulling you up with torque, and very , very low operational rpm....in the same way that commercial diesels get the job done. I have never had such a bike as this. There is no vibration. Not in the way that one 'thinks' of the feel of a vibrating motor. Nope...you feel the power pulse, which is most pleasant and engaging, but it does not translate out to a high pitched and numbing or fatiguing vibration.

With the above shift points and my modus operandi, we constantly now get (after break in...) 42-44 mpg, (easy operational fuel mileage to hit) and have hit 47 mpg (our peak reading) at least three times since taking ownership on May 6th/2018. In comparing our 2008 Wings, you should easily see a full 8-10 mpg bonus over the 2008 Wing fully loaded out. Again, this is obtained by us, with my above relaxed throttle and early shift points, and in letting engine torque and not increasing roll on of the throttle grip. Let torque work for you on this ride...and that will be the most important 'change up' to learn, from just coming off your 2008 GoldWing, as it was for myself. Early on Torque, puts the smile on the kissser...and not climbing RPM to get your butt(s) down the road....!!! My use and take, anyway.

Comparing the two OEM saddles...one, the 2008 GoldWing, and the 2018 SVTC. Our butts use to need moving around to different positions on the GoldWing, after about 90 minutes of riding. On the SVTC, there is a lack on both my wife's and my part in shifting our butts around on our saddle positions. No hot spots, or pressure points are created with this OEM saddle. The only thing that would have us needing to get off, would be nature, hunger, or fuel level.

You can read all the feature sets between your 2008 Wing, and the 2018 Star Venture T.C. I shared with you what I think you were looking for. All the tech and features, of course, you'd welcome, and is part of the attraction for you. But in handling the engine over the Wing....you got that right up front. I will personally never leave this large bore V-Twin by Yamaha, and would only replace our 2018, with a newer model for purposes of R.O.I. Other than that,...we would not need to be looking at another mount or engine/transmission configuration. This is a simply stupendous bike...and only by you aquiring your very own, will you also add your accolades after you have had the time to get used to another form of motorcycle engine, and in how it takes you in rpm and ranges of rpm,...to your tour destination.

Final, comment, I would recommend to the highest, that IF you want a change of scenery and venue....this would be a prime ride to acquire.

We had a 2008 Honda GoldWing Premium Sound/ Nav package.

We now have a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental...and we both feel that in comparing the above two rides, the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Luxury Tour, to be easily, the superior ride, all round.

Cheers,

Joe and Dee-Dee, rider and co-rider.
Bucfan11 likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-03-2018 at 07:49 AM.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 AM

Adding to YamahaParExcellence post, I shift a little higher RPM than he does, I will shift right around 3,000 RPM in the lower gears by the time I hit 5th gear I sift into it at about 2700 RPM.

My fuel mileage depends on the how much stop and go traffic I get into and how strong of a head wind there is on rides.

My fuel mileage low was 38 MPG on a day that I had very stiff head winds pulse stop and go city traffic mixed in with open road, I have only recorded two tanks of fuel under 40 MPG and both of those were early in the engines break in milage.

I now average normally in the high 42 MPG with occasional tanks dropping down to 41 MPG and sometimes a tank at 40 MPG again head winds and city riding. I have hit some tanks at 45 MPG and I have hit as high as 47 MPG for a tank of fuel, those are rides that are more open road without stiff head winds, so this bike does have very good fuel mileage. We ride 2 up about 70% of the time and only me about 30% of the time.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Having only test rode a new Venture I do not have any real world experience. I can say that my wife states there is more room on the back for her. I do like the cruiser position of my feet as opposed to the crotch rocket of my GW. I have highway pegs on the GW. Handling.. MMM that is tough since I did a suspension upgrade on the Wing it handles wayyyy better than a stock Wing ever did. Of course right now the Wing has way more accessories you can add to it than the Venture, since it is a totally new bike. If the SVTC takes off all the aftermarket manufacturers will jump on the accessory bandwagon. I will say the SVTC is one of 2 bikes I would trade the GW in for. The other one is a GORGEOUS Electra Glide SVO that is at my local HD dealership. I am in love with that bike too. I thought I would like the new GW and I do if all I did was solo touring. Sometimes my wife likes to ride her own and sometimes she likes to ride with me. The new GW is not big enough or comfortable enough for her. Plus there is not enough room for both of us to pack on the new GW. Too bad Honda is trying so hard to get the younger people on the GW. I think they missed out on a ton of sales. They could have made it look more sporty, lost weight and kept their target market.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Having only test rode a new Venture I do not have any real world experience. I can say that my wife states there is more room on the back for her. I do like the cruiser position of my feet as opposed to the crotch rocket of my GW. I have highway pegs on the GW. Handling.. MMM that is tough since I did a suspension upgrade on the Wing it handles wayyyy better than a stock Wing ever did. Of course right now the Wing has way more accessories you can add to it than the Venture, since it is a totally new bike. If the SVTC takes off all the aftermarket manufacturers will jump on the accessory bandwagon. I will say the SVTC is one of 2 bikes I would trade the GW in for. The other one is a GORGEOUS Electra Glide SVO that is at my local HD dealership. I am in love with that bike too. I thought I would like the new GW and I do if all I did was solo touring. Sometimes my wife likes to ride her own and sometimes she likes to ride with me. The new GW is not big enough or comfortable enough for her. Plus there is not enough room for both of us to pack on the new GW. Too bad Honda is trying so hard to get the younger people on the GW. I think they missed out on a ton of sales. They could have made it look more sporty, lost weight and kept their target market.
I believe you’re spot on that it’s the “younger market” Honda went after. This is not a Goldwing! You’re looking at a New ST1832!
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I traded my 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low for this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental and this bike it way better than the Harley Davidson was. You are used to a nice smooth ride, I don't think over the long haul you will be happy with the Harley Davidson, the vibrations on a Harley are just to much. I came from a 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 and a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, both bikes were nice and smooth I traded the 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour for the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and looking back it was both good and bad, the good was I got good trade in value on my Victory before Polaris shut Victory down, the bad was I had to spend several thousand more dollars on top of the price of the Harley Davidson to sort out the rear suspension, that ended up costing me over $2,400 dollars before I got a set up that worked and it still never rode as good as the Victory or this Star Venture both of which had and have stock suspension on them. Add in the cost of doing the stage one and that cost me another just over $2,500 dollars, change out the windshield for a Klock Werks Flair that was another $179, and the list goes on, all said and Done I put another $6,000 dollars into that Harley Davidson to get it the way I wanted it and it still was not as good as the Victory or this Yamaha Star Venture.

The only extra I have purchased for the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental was the Yamaha heated tall backrest and that cost me $240 dollars. I really don't have any urges to do anything else to this bike it is so complete from the factory.

I will be the first to admit the Harley is a pretty bike but it is no where near as good of a bike as the Victory, the Honda or this Yamaha Star Venture. Don't let the pretty looks of the Harley fool you, you still only get 3 inches of suspension travel and you will be spending money to upgrade the rear suspension. For me I settled with the JRI brand rear shocks and it greatly improved the Harley but it still did not come close to this Yamaha Star Venture.

Last edited by American; 07-03-2018 at 01:16 PM.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:18 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

The Electra Glide comes with air suspension so it rides a lot better than the spring suspension of the other "touring" models. My wife has a Street Glide and I love the bike except for the ride. I rode it in this morning and it reminded me of the one thing I do not like about it.. LOL.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode