Svtc valve job update - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Svtc valve job update

Hey there all you fellow SVTC riders. Well, I picked up my bike today. Runs much better!
It seems one of the lifters failed and that in turn damaged the cam surface.
I’m including some pictures for you to examine. A healthy lifter on the left and failed on the right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
Interesting, Glad you got it back.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Interesting, Glad you got it back.
Me too!! I missed my baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
1...very glad to see you back in the saddle, Chief!

2...very glad to see that if it had to happen at all...it was a failed part, and NOT any custom reassembly back at the Yamaha Plant, by a rebuild tech. That means...that there should be no other problem(s), if your engine was one of the first 500 serial numbers, that was hand-rebuilt.

3...as I was riding yesterday, Chief...(my serial is 042), I got to thinking that I am now quite glad that my bike is of the first 500 that had come off the production line, and were held back due to a misaligned crankcase seal gasket, and then were hand rebuilt to ASSURE that there would be no crank case engine half's, oil gasket leakage! I didn't say it in prior posts, but I really wasn't leaning to the theory that a tech that was assigned to hand-building your engine screwed up with setting the zero clearance valve lash. Of course I didn't know until now, what it was...but that just didn't 'whisper' to me.

So, considering that we all of the '500 Serial' club, have sort of 'blueprinted' engines....before they recommitted the motorcycle builds to the assembly line, and any robotic placements of gaskets or parts.... I very much feel good about that.

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-04-2018 at 04:44 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:

2...very glad to see that if it had to happen at all...it was a failed part, and NOT any custom reassembly back at the Yamaha Plant, by a rebuild tech. That means...that there should be no other problem(s), if your engine was one of the first 500 serial numbers, that was hand-rebuilt.

3...as I was riding yesterday, Chief...(my serial is 042), I got to thinking that I am now quite glad that my bike is of the first 500 that had come off the production line, and were held back due to a misaligned crankcase seal gasket, and then were hand rebuilt to ASSURE that there would be no crank case engine half's, oil gasket leakage! I didn't say it in prior posts, but I really wasn't leaning to the theory that a tech that was assigned to hand-building your engine screwed up with setting the zero clearance valve lash. Of course I didn't know until now, what it was...but that just didn't 'whisper' to me.

So, considering that we all of the '500 Serial' club, have sort of 'blueprinted' engines....before they recommitted the motorcycle builds to the assembly line, and any robotic placements of gaskets or parts.... I very much feel good about that.

Joe
Thanks Joe, me too! I’m looking forward to meeting up with GArider at the Dragons Tail in the 14th. ZOOM ZOOM!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:27 AM

Bad Lifter, that was one of my thoughts in the other posts, now run a good quality full synthetic oil that has ester in it, ester has a positive charge and will cling to engine parts, I am going Redline now that I am not going back to the dealer, I have ordered Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil from Racer Parts Wholesale, I ran this 10w-40 in my 106 CI Victory Cross Country Tour and never had a problem. The Victory 106 CI engines are like this Yamaha 113 CI engine they are air/oil cooled as well. The Victory's were double overhead cam engines with hydraulic lifters, so in the end still very similar to the 113 CI Yamaha.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Joe
I don't know Joe, whom ever put the engine back together still has to apply assembly lube to the cam lobes or a cam will wear out just like you see in those photos, The lifter and the cam surfaces are where the damage is and that to me looks like a lack of lube on initial start up.

Remember these were still brand new engines when they were torn down with likely only a short start up on them, so if the person who reassembled that one did not lube the cam lobes well there you go.

We will likely never know if it was just a defective part or a mistake during reassembly but if this is a one off issue for Yamaha then I would point to lack of lube during reassembly.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Quote:

Joe
I don't know Joe, whom ever put the engine back together still has to apply assembly lube to the cam lobes or a cam will wear out just like you see in those photos, The lifter and the cam surfaces are where the damage is and that to me looks like a lack of lube on initial start up.

Remember these were still brand new engines when they were torn down with likely only a short start up on them, so if the person who reassembled that one did not lube the cam lobes well there you go.

We will likely never know if it was just a defective part or a mistake during reassembly but if this is a one off issue for Yamaha then I would point to lack of lube during reassembly.
He Bill, I didn’t take a pic of it but you can see the concave wear in the lifter. Well, it was enough that on one side of the cam that outer edge of the lifter was wearing on the camshaft as well.
I will say that I think there may have been an issue all along. The bike seems much quieter than before. Also, not that it needed it but it seems even MORE “zippy”!
I’m running a 20w-50 full synthetic in there right now and will probably upgrade further to Redline at the next oil change.

I do however have a concern. Since there was that much wear in the lifter & cam, I think it’s imperative I get the dimple plugs ASAP! I obviously did the oil change but I’m concerned about any particulates that didn’t get filtered.
Ordering the dimple plugs today online. Thanks for the info regarding those. Much appreciated!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
He Bill, I didn’t take a pic of it but you can see the concave wear in the lifter. Well, it was enough that on one side of the cam that outer edge of the lifter was wearing on the camshaft as well.
I will say that I think there may have been an issue all along. The bike seems much quieter than before. Also, not that it needed it but it seems even MORE “zippy”!
I’m running a 20w-50 full synthetic in there right now and will probably upgrade further to Redline at the next oil change.

I do however have a concern. Since there was that much wear in the lifter & cam, I think it’s imperative I get the dimple plugs ASAP! I obviously did the oil change but I’m concerned about any particulates that didn’t get filtered.
Ordering the dimple plugs today online. Thanks for the info regarding those. Much appreciated!
Chief, when you install the dimple drain plugs you don't have to drain all the oil just remove the stock drain plug and plug the hole with your finger or thumb and then put in the Dimple drain plug, I lost very little oil doing it that way, I bet it was no more than 2 ounces of oil total for all three drain plugs, Oh make you do it when the engine is cold so you don't burn yourself.

What brand of synthetic did you use this time, it might be just as good and if you like it you could just continue using it. I will let you know how the 10w-40 Redline works in mine. If you are running Mobil One 20w-50 v-twin oil that is some very fine oil as well.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
He Bill, I didnít take a pic of it but you can see the concave wear in the lifter. Well, it was enough that on one side of the cam that outer edge of the lifter was wearing on the camshaft as well.
I will say that I think there may have been an issue all along. The bike seems much quieter than before. Also, not that it needed it but it seems even MORE ďzippyĒ!
Iím running a 20w-50 full synthetic in there right now and will probably upgrade further to Redline at the next oil change.

I do however have a concern. Since there was that much wear in the lifter & cam, I think itís imperative I get the dimple plugs ASAP! I obviously did the oil change but Iím concerned about any particulates that didnít get filtered.
I'd probably get the set also, that you put around the outside of your oil filter....!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode