NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

I have run NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited.

I will also be running the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this Yamaha Star Venture starting at the 8,000 mile spark plug change.

The correct Iridium spark plug is NGK DPR7EIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.

These spark plugs have worked great in both the Victory and the Harley Davidson and because NGK is OEM for Yamaha and NGK cross references the standard NGK spark plug in the Star Venture to their Iridium spark plug I expect they will work just as great in the 113 CI Star Venture as well.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumen...ello_01_GB.pdf
American is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I have run NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited.

I will also be running the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this Yamaha Star Venture starting at the 8,000 mile spark plug change.

The correct Iridium spark plug is NGK DPR7EIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.

These spark plugs have worked great in both the Victory and the Harley Davidson and because NGK is OEM for Yamaha and NGK cross references the standard NGK spark plug in the Star Venture to their Iridium spark plug I expect they will work just as great in the 113 CI Star Venture as well.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumen...ello_01_GB.pdf
I had run those in my last bike a 91 Venture Royale. I was going to have them install them on this bike as I just had the plugs replaced.
The tech who is a bike performance junkie said that “the cost difference does not give you the performance difference when running with a stock cam and settings. If you were doing a performance cam with spark advance etc.. then you’d see the return, otherwise you’re wasting your money he said.
These guys know me well, and if I got more performance out of it they’d be all for it!

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 07-05-2018 at 05:41 PM.
ChiefGunner is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I have run NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited.

I will also be running the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this Yamaha Star Venture starting at the 8,000 mile spark plug change.

The correct Iridium spark plug is NGK DPR7EIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.

These spark plugs have worked great in both the Victory and the Harley Davidson and because NGK is OEM for Yamaha and NGK cross references the standard NGK spark plug in the Star Venture to their Iridium spark plug I expect they will work just as great in the 113 CI Star Venture as well.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumen...ello_01_GB.pdf
On a side note: the dimple plugs are AWESOME, but I recommend you add these to it. I’ve got these (2 for max protection) and it ran $107.15 including regular ground shipping.
Check out their videos in the product.
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/
ChiefGunner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I had run those in my last bike a 91 Venture Royale. I was going to have them install them on this bike as I just had the plugs replaced.
The tech who is a bike performance junkie said that “the cost difference does not give you the performance difference when running with a stock cam and settings. If you were doing a performance cam with spark advance etc.. then you’d see the return, otherwise you’re wasting your money he said.
These guys know me well, and if I got more performance out of it they’d be all for it!
An extra 20 dollars won't break me to run a better plug. Iridium plugs are easier on the ignition system over the life of the plugs because the iridium has less restriction of the spark as the plug wears. Anything to make life easier on the ignition coil is worth a few extra dollars to me.

Here is a video of stock Harley Plugs on a dyno then a set of Iridium plugs and they picked up 3 horse power just from the plugs.

American is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Here is a very good reason to switch to Iridium spark plugs over standard spark plugs, as a spark plug wears a standard spark plug like is used from the factory by Yamaha will slowly degrade and as the plug wears it can take as much as 40% more power to produce the same spark, that puts additional wear on the ignition coils to supply that spark.

With an Iridium spark plug they last longer than a standard spark plug so as you come upon the plug change interval the Iridium spark plug is still producing the same spark using less power from the ignition coils.

Due to the superior quality of an Iridium spark plug they will last twice as long as a standard spark plug, so if you wanted you could actually go from a 8,000 mile spark plug change to 16,000 mile spark plug change interval. Honestly Iridium spark plug specs show them to be good for between 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Iridium Laser spark plugs last even longer but I have yet to find a cross reference for an Iridium Laser spark plug for our engines. Auto manufactures use Iridium Laser spark plugs because they will last from 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

With an Iridium spark plug specs showing they will last between 40,000 to 50,000 miles you could likely run them in our engine for 32,000 miles without any degradation of the spark plug.

I have no problem spending the extra $20 dollars for the Iridium spark plugs for the benefits they provide over the standard spark plugs. Less wear on the coil packs is a win win situation.
American is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Here is a very good reason to switch to Iridium spark plugs over standard spark plugs, as a spark plug wears a standard spark plug like is used from the factory by Yamaha will slowly degrade and as the plug wears it can take as much as 40% more power to produce the same spark, that puts additional wear on the ignition coils to supply that spark.

With an Iridium spark plug they last longer than a standard spark plug so as you come upon the plug change interval the Iridium spark plug is still producing the same spark using less power from the ignition coils.

Due to the superior quality of an Iridium spark plug they will last twice as long as a standard spark plug, so if you wanted you could actually go from a 8,000 mile spark plug change to 16,000 mile spark plug change interval. Honestly Iridium spark plug specs show them to be good for between 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Iridium Laser spark plugs last even longer but I have yet to find a cross reference for an Iridium Laser spark plug for our engines. Auto manufactures use Iridium Laser spark plugs because they will last from 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

With an Iridium spark plug specs showing they will last between 40,000 to 50,000 miles you could likely run them in our engine for 32,000 miles without any degradation of the spark plug.

I have no problem spending the extra $20 dollars for the Iridium spark plugs for the benefits they provide over the standard spark plugs. Less wear on the coil packs is a win win situation.
Was not aware of those facts. Even though they may last that long, you still need to pull and inspect them under regular periodicity. That’s because as you well know, the plugs are a good indicator to the overall health of your engine and how it’s running.
I think the LACK of increase in impedance over the life of the plug as you set forth is important. I will more than likely spring the extra cash for it on the next change.
BTW, did you investigate the FilterMag that I told you about? It an excellent added protection beyond Dimple plugs.
ChiefGunner is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
I saw that, Dimple sells a set of filter magnets as well. Lots of good products out there to help with the health of an engine.
American is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Moderator
 
lesblank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,780
Garage
I will agree that iridium plugs do last longer. There is a side note here that no one has addressed. Today's gasoline has many additives to ensure a clean fuel system. Most people add products like Seafoam to assist in keeping the system clean. These additives adhear to the spark plug, they never totally burn off. The electriod on a standard plug does errode quicker than iridium, but as it errodes the film that additives leave also burn off. I've worked on lawn mower engines up to full race motors. This happens to all motors. Put fresh plugs in with the cheapest gas you can find without many additives. Run engine for a short time and pull plugs. If engine is properly tuned the plugs will have look almost new under a magnifying glass. Now do the same thing with top tier fuel or just put some seafoam in. The plugs will have a minute amount of glaze on them. I run standard plugs on all my carbed vehicle and change once a year, it's cheap to do. Now the newer injected vehicles do have a hotter spark and will burn standard plug quickly. I also doubt that the video is 100% correct. How old were the old plugs. What was the gap on the old plugs. What was the engine temp on the two runs, same? What was the ambient temperature? What was the humidity? What correction program was being run on the dyno? I can take the same vehicle on the same day without any changes and get a 3 to 5% various. So, what does all this mean, run regular plugs if you like checking the condition of you engine, spend a few bucks and put new ones in. Or put iridium in and forget for a while. I know a lot of you wrench on race vehicles, what is your take?
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
lesblank is online now  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I will agree that iridium plugs do last longer. There is a side note here that no one has addressed. Today's gasoline has many additives to ensure a clean fuel system. Most people add products like Seafoam to assist in keeping the system clean. These additives adhear to the spark plug, they never totally burn off. The electriod on a standard plug does errode quicker than iridium, but as it errodes the film that additives leave also burn off. I've worked on lawn mower engines up to full race motors. This happens to all motors. Put fresh plugs in with the cheapest gas you can find without many additives. Run engine for a short time and pull plugs. If engine is properly tuned the plugs will have look almost new under a magnifying glass. Now do the same thing with top tier fuel or just put some seafoam in. The plugs will have a minute amount of glaze on them. I run standard plugs on all my carbed vehicle and change once a year, it's cheap to do. Now the newer injected vehicles do have a hotter spark and will burn standard plug quickly. I also doubt that the video is 100% correct. How old were the old plugs. What was the gap on the old plugs. What was the engine temp on the two runs, same? What was the ambient temperature? What was the humidity? What correction program was being run on the dyno? I can take the same vehicle on the same day without any changes and get a 3 to 5% various. So, what does all this mean, run regular plugs if you like checking the condition of you engine, spend a few bucks and put new ones in. Or put iridium in and forget for a while. I know a lot of you wrench on race vehicles, what is your take?
I don't look at the Iridium plugs as a performance item for HP but rather a item that will be easier on the ignition system, as a standard plug wears it can require as much as 40% more power from the coil to produce the needed spark, the coil will provide that power but it is harder on the coil long term when it has to do that.

With the Iridium plugs they don't require as much power from the coil to produce the same amount of spark so the coil is not stressed long term.

Other noted benefits of the Iridium plugs are quicker starting due to better spark, improved idle, better power delivery and possible better fuel economy.

I know that both my Victory and Harley Davidson benefited from switching to the Iridium spark plugs over the OEM standard plugs. Both bikes did start quicker, both bikes did idle better, now the power is not enough for you to feel and fuel economy is a subjective item depending on how the riders uses that right grip.

I think the thing that needs to be looked at before changing from the standard plug to the Iridium plug is to make sure there is a direct cross reference for the plugs. In the case of the Victory, Harley Davidson and this Yamaha all three have a direct cross reference for a replacement Iridium plug.
American is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Moderator
 
lesblank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,780
Garage
There are many good articles debating copper vs iridium plugs. I totally agree with you on longevity. Just not for me to use in my "play toys". Here's an interesting google quote on plugs that I agree with:

The trade-off

But the trade-off here is the conductivity of the spark plugs. Both platinum and iridium will last you long, but both of these metals are inferior conductors compared to something like copper. So in normal conditions, the copper spark plug will always outperform an iridium or some other fancy spark plug. But it will die in maybe less than half the age of these expensive plugs. People buy these spark plugs thinking they have improved the spark and hence increased the power of their stock vehicles but that is not true. One can debate whether iridium/platinum spark plugs improve the emissions/fuel economy but as far the performance is concerned, copper plugs are better in stock conditions.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
lesblank is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome