I might have been SVTC'less an hour ago...might have... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I might have been SVTC'less an hour ago...might have...

Life is chock full of its twists and turns...

Case in point:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife went horseback riding today with friends, so I went motorcycle-back about the same time. Had a great ride in the country and about 5 miles from home, slipped into a Tim Horton's for a quick coffee and doh.

About a mile before the Tim Horton's entrance lane, I noticed a really nice Mercedes SL450 that had pulled in behind me from the inside lane. Thought nothing of it. When I signaled to turn into the Tim's, the male driver also put his turn signal on...and followed me into the Tim's parking lot. Thought nothing of it...

Well, as I found a parking space and started to get off, I noticed that both this man, and his lady, were walking in my direction, and not towards the front entrance of the Tim's. I was just taking my 3/4 Arai off, when he opened up conversation with me, and asked if my bike was indeed the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental. I said that he knew his bikes...and yessir, it was. He turned and smiled at his (I found out...wife) and said; "..see there, I told you so...I knew it was the new one!".

They asked if they could spend some time looking at it...and I said of course, but please...to not touch, or try to sit upon the saddle, the either of them. He said they would not even think of that...as they are also a biking duo...and have a 2012 Goldwing. I said that I just traded in our 2008 Wing for what they see before them. When they heard that...the both of them turned and smiled at each other. I really wanted that coffee, bad...(I'm seriously addicted to the stuff...freely admit it!) so told them to to 'have at it' for the looking...but no touching, and went inside the Tim's.

You can believe that I kept my eye on them as I was served and then sat down, at a window table to just keep an eye on things. All my bags and trunk was locked, so didn't sweat that...

Well...they must have circled the bike, each, about ten times, stooping down (the both of them, deep in animated conversation), for at least 1/2 an hour!!!!-----> pointing to my back rest...she pointing to the co-rider seating position and the co-rider infotainment controls, etc...and he kept gesturing to the engine...the sure park...eyeballed the dash and LCD. Man, they used their hands and facial expressions to good use, LOL. Yep...was watching like a hawk...sipping my coffee.

Then....they came into the Tim's...ordered their coffee's and came over to my table, and asked if they might sit down with me. I said sure...what the heck....they must have questions...I mean...they were out there just under a 1/2 hour.

Then...the proverbial shoe dropped------> You are kidding me...?!?!?!?

"Can I ask you how many km's is on the bike?" "Sure...around 8,000 KM's, but I was raised in miles and gallons...so I like 5,000 miles better!" He chuckled...and then said, "I..er..we would like to offer you a proposition regarding your bike, and this is it....we would like to have you think about us buying your bike...today...right now...for strict cash, no funny business, and you only have to sign a paper that there is no lien, upon your bike...and it is free and clear, if that is the case, otherwise, we would pay out your loan/lien, and whatever is left, would be yours."

To say I was shocked, would be an understatement! I just knew this couple had the money...to back up the words. That was a given.

"So, you want to buy my bike? Are you serious?" "Yes...we are quite serious. We decided that we wanted one of these bikes, for a trip we want to take in a couple of weeks. We found a dealer out in B.C. that has one, but we would need to go through the hassle of shipping...and then when we asked him how long it would take to get the options (you have exactly, what she and i want...) he said could be up to six weeks, unfortunately, for all of them. We saw your bike...knew it was probably two or three months old at the most...and figured you'd have 6,000 KM's or less. So...we followed you into the parking lot...and you know the rest."

"So..what are you offering me?" "That we use the rest of the day to have deposited into your account the full amount, including all accessories, taxes on all, and your 1,000 KM first inspection...every dollar returned to you...and you would have literally the benefit of riding your bike for free...for this last 8,000 KM's. We feel that is a pretty good deal....8,000 km's of touring around, and to not cost you a dime, except for gas.".

"I take it, the two of you don't want to wait, for the one in B.C. and all the Acc's..." "That's right...and I saw that you handled the bike with respect...so don't have any qualms about how this bike has been treated."

Well, my friends...I'll just tell you as he was talking, I was giving the offer, a sincere back-and-forth. I would have had to call my wife, and hope she would pick up....to pitch the 'free 5,000 miles' offer to her, but I didn't get that far in my own mind, and here's why....

1. My wife and I love the bike...and have two major trips this Summer yet planned for the riding season.
2. There is nothing wrong with the bike that would have me 'thinking' of off-loading those problems onto somebody else...(and people do....), but was never my style, even if there was something to walk away from...
3. I sincerely believe that the 2019's are going to be at least 3-5 percent higher in the asking MSRP. Common inflationary pressure...and...I know how long it took to get all accessories for my bike!!!

So...I didn't bother calling my wife, and gave my regrets that I was truly not interested in selling my bike for cold, hard, cash to them. They were visibly disappointed, for I guess they thought I would jump at the chance to get all my money back...and to ride what I did, for free, less gas and insurance. After he saw that I was not going to move on the offer, he said that they would have to wait for the 2019's to come in, it seems....but hoped that I would have impulsively grabbed the money and run.

So...Life's twists and turns...and...there will be another GoldWing traded in (or sold for...) to buy a 2019 SVTC.

How does that song go..."...and another one bites the dust, (dum dum dum...) another one bites the dust...." Just before we left...I wished them well, and told them they would be absolutely thrilled with their 2019, when it comes home to their garage...!

Cheers,

Joe
Keith Post, Elk and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-07-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Elk

Wow! Wish I had that kind of money.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:40 PM
KCW

Garage
I would be offended by anyone that thinks everything has a price on it.

Asking " would you consider selling your bike? " is ok

when he started, in so many words, waving money in your face, that is tasteless rude and offensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Garage
KCW ... The way Joe described it was not waving money around to me. At least to me it is not. Where I grew in NYC, there was lots of new & old money. It was waived around and thrown in your face. This guy just wanted to take a chance to get a great bike for the least amount of hassle. It just did not work in his favor. Que sera sera.
Brad_G likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
KCW ... The way Joe described it was not waving money around to me. At least to me it is not. Where I grew in NYC, there was lots of new & old money. It was waived around and thrown in your face. This guy just wanted to take a chance to get a great bike for the least amount of hassle. It just did not work in his favor. Que sera sera.
Correct...there was no money at the scene....it was a proposition, and had I agreed, we then would have gone to my personal bank...and the deed would have been done...a money transfer from his bank account, to mine. I would have then signed the ownership over to him, as well as a deposition, that the bike was lien free, which it is, in fact.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-06-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Wow! Wish I had that kind of money.
You should have seen this couple...they fit the car, trust me. No pretense there....

This was an experience, that I will never forget, and can't wait to tell my wife, when she gets home tonight!
Elk likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I would be offended by anyone that thinks everything has a price on it.

Asking " would you consider selling your bike? " is ok

when he started, in so many words, waving money in your face, that is tasteless rude and offensive.
In fact, they were most friendly, very cultured, very well mannered....and did simply project, privilege, but in a most genteel, way. The last thing on my mind at the table...was if this was a scam, or the money would not have been, 'there'. You just know....that six'th sense.... Charlotte just wasn't for sale....and, they will love their coming 2019 that much more!

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-06-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont think you understand what it is that would have offended me.

I was at an regional airport, Binghamton NY, several years ago. This couple and two small kids come in, they wanted to get on the next flight to NYC. Things spiraled down quickly and they made sure everyone in the entire small airport knew what was going on.

They had decided to take their kids to WDW in Orlando, had managed to purchase tickets from NYC to Orlando, and all they had to do was drive to the local airport there in Binghamton and jump on the next flight to New York City.

Their flight out of NYC left in an hour. Surely there are jets departing from Binghamton to NYC every half hour or more, RIGHT?!

There are two daily flights. They were livid. How dare the airlines not accommodate their whims and desires and not have jets flying to NYC every 30 minutes.

Their tickets were not refundable, they were going to miss their flight to Orlando, their spur of the moment vacation to WDW was gong to be ruined.

SURELY the airline can find a private pilot with a 6 passenger jet that can take then to NYC in the next 10 minutes?

What about a limo driver?! Cant a limo drive them to NYC in time to catch their flight in an hour? (Its a 4 hour drive).

That is what is so offensive about people who feel privileged and entitled. Those people were so far out of touch with reality, so spoiled by their money, it made me sick to be in the same building with them.

They were not buying, they were selling. They were not buying your motorcycle (which did not have a FOR SALE sign on it)
they were selling their money. Surely you want their money, surely you need it.

Surely if we make you a generous offer, an absurd offer to buy a vehicle with 5000 miles on it, for the price of a new bike, plus the cost of your sales tax, registration... ?!?!

I understand that you were very flattered that someone wants the same bike you have so much, that they were willing to offer you the full MSRP for it, and then some. Thats what I mean by waving money in your face, making that kind of 'sales pitch' to sell you their money in exchange for something you have put a lot of time and thought and energy into, that is dear to your heart.

"I want that goose that lays the golden eggs, and I WANT IT NOW!"

If they are refined and cultured they can goto a Yamaha dealer and make them an offer for a bike that is in the store, and pay whatever price the dealer demands. This happens frequently with new car models - they often sell for thousands more than the MSRP - and if you want one, you pay whatever the dealer asks, or you order one from the factory and wait.

Last edited by KCW; 07-06-2018 at 09:40 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I dont think you understand what it is that would have offended me.

I was at an regional airport, Binghamton NY, several years ago. This couple and two small kids come in, they wanted to get on the next flight to NYC. Things spiraled down quickly and they made sure everyone in the entire small airport knew what was going on.

They had decided to take their kids to WDW in Orlando, had managed to purchase tickets from NYC to Orlando, and all they had to do was drive to the local airport there in Binghamton and jump on the next flight to New York City.

Their flight out of NYC left in an hour. Surely there are jets departing from Binghamton to NYC every half hour or more, RIGHT?!

There are two daily flights. They were livid. How dare the airlines not accommodate their whims and desires and not have jets flying to NYC every 30 minutes.

Their tickets were not refundable, they were going to miss their flight to Orlando, their spur of the moment vacation to WDW was gong to be ruined.

SURELY the airline can find a private pilot with a 6 passenger jet that can take then to NYC in the next 10 minutes?

What about a limo driver?! Cant a limo drive them to NYC in time to catch their flight in an hour? (Its a 4 hour drive).

That is what is so offensive about people who feel privileged and entitled. Those people were so far out of touch with reality, so spoiled by their money, it made me sick to be in the same building with them.

They were not buying, they were selling. They were not buying your motorcycle (which did not have a FOR SALE sign on it)
they were selling their money. Surely you want their money, surely you need it.

Surely if we make you a generous offer, an absurd offer to buy a vehicle with 5000 miles on it, for the price of a new bike, plus the cost of your sales tax, registration... ?!?!

I understand that you were very flattered that someone wants the same bike you have so much, that they were willing to offer you the full MSRP for it, and then some. Thats what I mean by waving money in your face, making that kind of 'sales pitch' to sell you their money in exchange for something you have put a lot of time and thought and energy into, that is dear to your heart.

"I want that goose that lays the golden eggs, and I WANT IT NOW!"

If they are refined and cultured they can goto a Yamaha dealer and make them an offer for a bike that is in the store, and pay whatever price the dealer demands. This happens frequently with new car models - they often sell for thousands more than the MSRP - and if you want one, you pay whatever the dealer asks, or you order one from the factory and wait.
KCW, while I do appreciate your 'take' and viewpoint on what I related about yesterday, I still personally feel, that it was the old barter system, in their wanting, as some might have read the expression, buying the SVTC right out from under me. I personally was not offended, but in fact...was intrigued. Very much intrigued. This is the way that I took the whole bizarre encounter, in riding away from the Tim's yesterday afternoon, is that they had:

Twenty pounds of corn. I had twenty pounds of chicken. They saw that...and offered me their twenty pounds of corn, for my twenty pounds of chicken. They could go and get chicks, and wait for them to grow up into chicken...but thought to barter with me. Their asset, 'cash', for my asset, one 2018 Yamaha Star Venture, used to boot. If they were looking (from Ontario) at sourcing a new 2018 from as far away as across the continent, as British Columbia, then they had done their due diligence, were extremely disappointed with the fact as well, that Yamaha did NOT properly assess the popularity (at least in Canada) for the 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental model, and being the introductory year, and KNEW they were going to miss out on their trip, in riding one (yes they had their 2012 Goldwing, and no doubt that will be the ride they take), but obviously were sold on replacing it with a 2018 Star Venture T.C., and didn't make the decision soon enough to acquire one in Ontario.

KCW, honestly, and quite frankly, if I had the financial where-with-all's, to be able to even THINK on the cuff...look at that bike..."that's exactly fitted out as we wanted ours....do you think he might sell it, for whatever reason, if we approach him to do just that?"....well KCW...openly and honestly, if that discussion was going on, in our car...I know, that I, would done the exact same thing...for sure! Worth a shot...you never know...maybe that chap (or couple) have buyer's remorse (that happens...and is happening on the GL1800 board with some 2018 ST-1832 owners, in fact, right now...)...so...the whole world, is Las Vegas....spin the wheel, and take's your chances. They certainly didn't offend me, in any way...and in fact...if anything...I thought their attempt, as incredibly resourceful, and clever. They can't get one...there's one....costs nothing to approach the owner, and offer him a 'free' usage for the time he owned it.

If being successful in business, or even if it comes from the silver spoon, or Trust Fund....Life is Las Vegas....they spun the wheel, and waited for the steel ball to drop. Frankly, I thought it ingenious....they had a 50/50 chance of getting their bike...(my bike looks showroom condition physically), it has all the features they want, already installed, and 'ready to go'....I thought their attempt, incredibly clever and the American Way....throw money (mud) at the wall, and see what sticks...like any 'deal'....

Too bad for them that they got me, to ask, and pitch the offer to,....for I'm absolutely crazy about my ride...the best thing since sliced bread. I was NOT that 'buyer's remorse' candidate that they might have hoped I'd be....or a guy that would then have to wait for the 2019's to arrive in late September (usually around here...).

I wasn't flattered....that they wanted my bike, I was 'YOU GO GUY!'....amazed. KCW I mean..think about it....today, they could be waking up, excited, to go for a ride on the very bike they purchased out from under me....yesterday afternoon....already broken in...proved mechanically sound, all acc's on as they wanted....it would have been a 'brilliant' more, the way I see it, and they would have been riding it on that trip to wherever, they were thinking of touring to...brilliant! Simply a brilliant attempt! My take.....

Different takes, yours and mine. All 'takes' are valid, as seen through the eyes of the commenter.

Cheers,
KCW likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-07-2018 at 02:50 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Garage
That is really a cool story. I like the way you handled it and with no hard feelings that you weren’t willing to sell. They’ll just have to wait for the 2019’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode