Miracle cure for clear coat scratches! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Miracle cure for clear coat scratches!

Well...I just about died, when inspecting my bike this morning. My wife's tour boots (we really can't understand how they made light contact...but....) has brass lay-flat rims/eyelets, where the laces cross in and out. LAY FLAT....but for Murphy's going to get you, no matter what, I found horizontal and vertical scratches in the Clear Coat of the right side panel, (didn't know until I worked like a mad fiend upon it...how deep, or into the paint layer?!?!?)...well, sick to my stomach and looking for a place to barf....

I ran downstairs to my workshop, and grabbed my tube of Meguiar's Scratch X (Formula 2) Fine scratch and blemish remover and set to work, with a lot of Hail Mary's....

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/meguiar.../6000016937578

...45 minutes later, with three applications of that miracle product...and three applications of Mother's California Gold, Sealer and Glaze, followed by three applications of Mother's California Gold, Carnauba Cleaner Wax (hard wax), not liquid,....

HOOOOOOORAY! Not one scratch shows in the now, deep lustre finish of my right side panel!!! Better than 'Showroom Condition'!

OMG! Thank you, Big Guy...thank you!....

Friends, watch those riding boots or shoes your co-rider wears...and yes, I know all about the clear tape protector...but I think it looks like...well....I'll just have my wife be really, REALLY careful (and she, to her credit tries to always be...) about those side panels, and the front of the Saddle Bags. 'Stuff happens'....we all know...but now, we are going to go out and look for a comfortable pair of riding boots that have NO metal, 'anything' on the top's, the sides,' etc....and will prevent further you-know-what's....

On a serious note...if you have never used the above named scratch formula...run...run... to your nearest store that has such things...and pick up a black tube of it. It will save your butt...works on the car, boat, bike, fridge...all of it, followed by a coat and buff of your favorite wax.
This formula is a white cream with super micro-particulate, that gently acts upon the surface to 'cut ' the surface at, or below the depth of the scratch, but not add any visible scratches to the surface you are working on...usually, Clear Coat or naked paint layer. This stuff is GOLD!

They should call it, Showroom Cream...lol!

Joe
KCW likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-18-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
KCW

Garage
When I got my bike 5 years ago, I told my son "if you ever need to move my bike in or out of the garage, dont stand on one side - sit on the bike and duck walk it"

Walking a bike by the handlebars is one of the most common way bikes get dropped.

About a month ago I left my bike outside and went to the store with my car. It started to rain, so my son thought he'd be a nice guy and put my bike in the garage.

He slid his work boots with metal hook eyelets across the gas tank both getting on the bike and getting off. It looks like a bear attacked my gas tank.

I leave my MC out in the rain all the time at work - its not made of sugar, it wont melt.

I didnt say anything to him. A+ for good intentions, but those scratches are not buffing out. they are all the way into the primer. I may have to spray some clear coat on them to keep the tank from rusting under the exposed primer. The bike tank is "liquid Raspberry" red (metallic paint) - there is no way I can touch it up. I dont know how Yamaha came up with the paint on this bike (its stock) but on a sunny day, standing 100 yards away the bike literally glows red and silver in the sun light.

Battle scars - every vehicle gets them sooner or later, unless you encase your bike in lexan.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
When I got my bike 5 years ago, I told my son "if you ever need to move my bike in or out of the garage, dont stand on one side - sit on the bike and duck walk it"

Walking a bike by the handlebars is one of the most common way bikes get dropped.

About a month ago I left my bike outside and went to the store with my car. It started to rain, so my son thought he'd be a nice guy and put my bike in the garage.

He slid his work boots with metal hook eyelets across the gas tank both getting on the bike and getting off. It looks like a bear attacked my gas tank.

I leave my MC out in the rain all the time at work - its not made of sugar, it wont melt.

I didnt say anything to him. A+ for good intentions, but those scratches are not buffing out. they are all the way into the primer. I may have to spray some clear coat on them to keep the tank from rusting under the exposed primer. The bike tank is "liquid Raspberry" red (metallic paint) - there is no way I can touch it up.

Battle scars - every vehicle gets them sooner or later, unless you encase your bike in lexan.
I am MOST sorry to read of your woe, KCW...but I have a suggestion, even though it is down to the primer...I'd suggest, and you might also come upon the forum dancing in the streets...is to go get touch up paint....keep applying the paint, until it is micro-above the non damage surrounding paint (I have done what I am suggesting to you, and you will not believe how you can restore that tank...)....then, apply the above brand name...no other!......white cream to the three day old highest application layer of your touch up paint....and with your finger tip...only your finger tip...(that is how I applied the Maq Scratch X to my side panel) rub parallel, up and down with gentle pressure (this is going to take a while...but totally worth it!), rub the cream continuously over the touch up paint. That...will cut it down to the level of the surrounding non-damaged OEM paint/clear coat. When you have (running your finger over the touch up/OEM finish boundary, and don't feel a 'rise'....then clean really well. Now...get the Clear Coat (from any car dealer) tube and apply the first coat of that....dry clear coat layer....use the Scratch X, to cut that down to the level of the OEM non-damaged paint...repeat with a second coat of Clear Coat. 'Cut' it down as described. Now...you are good to go! Rub any formula of hard Carnauba wax of your choosing. Buff til the cows come home...and it will look great. KCW, I had a 'down to the primer' on my war canoe (triple keel), a forest green....did ALL of what I have suggested to you, in all steps...and when done, you could not tell, that there ever was a deadly to-the-primer scratch/gouge to the side of the hull. The secret is the cutting action of the above product. That will get your tank to the best that it will be, and the results will be great! It takes time...but if how your bike looks, is as important to you, as to myself...that time, will be very well invested.

Let me know, if you decide to try this method I suggest, and I will be glad to give you any further input, if you ask.

Cheers, and again, so sorry that that even happened to you in the first place! Good luck.

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I didnt say anything to him. A+ for good intentions, but those scratches are not buffing out. they are all the way into the primer. I may have to spray some clear coat on them to keep the tank from rusting under the exposed primer. The bike tank is "liquid Raspberry" red (metallic paint) - there is no way I can touch it up. I dont know how Yamaha came up with the paint on this bike (its stock) but on a sunny day, standing 100 yards away the bike literally glows red and silver in the sun light.

I have the easy answer. to that custom look paint, KCW...go to a car paint supplier. Ride your bike there. They will have (mine does) a laser reader, that will sample your tank by beaming upon it...and will tell the paint house, what exactly comprises that paint. I had a GoldWing, with that Jaguar Green paint...and somebody at a bike get-together (that's why I now avoid them at all cost....some people just don't respect private property or are merely mean...) keyed down the right side of my faring, for about three inches. I had them laser the paint...they then mixed all the elements, and dang...if they didn't create the exact Honda 2000 model, GL1500 S.E. green Jag racing tint, with the silver fleck....once applied by the body shop ( I had a body shop spray the damaged area), and finished by them....THERE WAS NO VISIBLE PAINT DAMAGE!!!! Amazing, that paint scan technology. So...I suggest you do that. Call around to all your local paint suppliers..(not body shops..) and ask if they can laser sample your bike/car/camper/law mower, lol....you get the picture....
KCW likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:

If your not ready to paint yet I would suggest Mar-Hyde part # 3509 Onestep Rust fighter. It's in a spray can just shake it up really well spray it on some cardboard an use a little brush to put in the scratches and it will hold up fine. You can get it at almost any auto paint store.
KCW likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:

I have the easy answer. to that custom look paint, KCW...go to a car paint supplier. Ride your bike there. They will have (mine does) a laser reader, that will sample your tank by beaming upon it...and will tell the paint house, what exactly comprises that paint. I had a GoldWing, with that Jaguar Green paint...and somebody at a bike get-together (that's why I now avoid them at all cost....some people just don't respect private property or are merely mean...) keyed down the right side of my faring, for about three inches. I had them laser the paint...they then mixed all the elements, and dang...if they didn't create the exact Honda 2000 model, GL1500 S.E. green Jag racing tint, with the silver fleck....once applied by the body shop ( I had a body shop spray the damaged area), and finished by them....THERE WAS NO VISIBLE PAINT DAMAGE!!!! Amazing, that paint scan technology. So...I suggest you do that. Call around to all your local paint suppliers..(not body shops..) and ask if they can laser sample your bike/car/camper/law mower, lol....you get the picture....
Regarding the “malicious acts” of some people, I’ve seen it before.
Years ago I was walking through a large gravel parking area and a ways up in front of me were three guys. I couldn’t see them very well, but it appeared I was taking the same route as them.
I was coming up on a NEW 280ZX admiring it as I approached closer only to be HORRIFIED.
There was a HUGE scratch running the entire length of the vehicle with a large rock dropped on the ground right at the end of the car!
Made me sick that people can be so jealous to do such a thing just because they don’t have anything nice. That attitude, they never will either.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Garage
Is the glaze this?
California Gold®️
Micro-Polishing Glaze

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM
KCW

Garage
My red 2005 Saturn Vue has key scratches on both sides.

I dont get it, its an american made car, its a small SUV, it gets 25mpg. Whats not to love?!

Since it has plastic body panels, the scratches in the paint wont make it rust or anything so I dont care. The odds are 1 out of 4 someone will total the car anyway.

Its metal and plastic and glass, and its destiny is a junk yard no matter what happens.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Is the glaze this?
California Gold®️
Micro-Polishing Glaze
I used to remove the shoe scratches, the Mag X Formula 2 cream with micro-particulate. I used what you refer to , as the second of three types of applications:

Just before I sign off to go riding, yes...I first used (with forefinger massage of the Mag cream), the product in large black type. That 'cuts' below the depth of the scratch, without adding any of its own. I massaged the cream in small tight circles, then parallel to the scratch themselves for about 5-10 minutes, rubbing gently. Then, would wipe that off with a micro-fibre cloth, view if there was still a visible scratch/blemish, and if needed, apply a daub of product, and do the same 5-10 rub out. To remove all traces of scratches and blemishes from her riding boots, it took me three bouts with the Mag Scratch X cream. That then took out all scratches and left a very nice lustre. I then used my Mother's brand Glaze and Sealant product...massaging that with a slightly dampened micro-fibre towel....and wipe, three times. I then finished off my 45 minutes working on the side panel, with three applications layers, or Mother's Hard Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

The above process, did a spectacular job...and in fact, the paint on the right hand side panel, looks better than the 'factory released'. I'm going to inspect today the left side panel, and if anything is there that does not pass the Joe Anal Bike Finish Test,...the same routine above, will be applied. The tank and faring, already have the Sealant and Glaze/Hard Carnauba Cleaner Wax from Mother's. I have used Mother's California Brand for years and years...they make a great line of beautification products. Was introduced in fact to that brand line, whilst living in California. Stuck with it, ever since...

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Regarding the “malicious acts” of some people, I’ve seen it before.
Years ago I was walking through a large gravel parking area and a ways up in front of me were three guys. I couldn’t see them very well, but it appeared I was taking the same route as them.
I was coming up on a NEW 280ZX admiring it as I approached closer only to be HORRIFIED.
There was a HUGE scratch running the entire length of the vehicle with a large rock dropped on the ground right at the end of the car!
Made me sick that people can be so jealous to do such a thing just because they don’t have anything nice. That attitude, they never will either.
I was at a 2000 GWRRA's Wing Ding, with my new at the time, 2000 GL1500 S.E. We came back to the bike...and clearly saw that some jealous, LIFE LOSER, keyed and scratch/gouge'ed the right side of the faring just behind the mirror. (I always do a walk around inspection of my bike, before leaving it anywhere, so KNEW that there was no such paint/finish damage when we walked away for the day's events) I was so demoralized over that...being where we were...and from that day forward, have avoided any get together's with a new, or nearly new bike. Tony...I'm going to share something with you....on that other forum, there were and are, some very nice and friendly fellows that owned 1rst and 2nd generation Ventures...and were eagerly advocating that I attend one of the functions, so everybody could see my new SVTC, as some, had not seen one to date. The very thought of that...bringing my new ride, let alone, a new model, that some liked, right out of the gate, some DID NOT like that it was produced....to that Niagara Falls meet and greet, sent shudders right down the spine!

In having my brand new, 2000 GL1500 damaged by some cretin-attendee at the Wing Ding those many years ago....made me have no intention of bringing my brand new model, SVTC to a manufacturer specific social function, with that scarring memory of that past event, still hurting to this day.

Ok...keyboard gets put away...and the garage door soon opens....

Take care, have a great day!

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode