Road trip update - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Road trip update

Back home after 9416 mile road trip. 10832 total on bike. Rear tire had to be replaced at 8800 miles and front tire being replaced on Thurs. Steering head bearing started clunking about 1000 miles from end of trip. Not impressed with Bridgestone tires but believe the low milage was in part due to high heat high speed traveling in Arizona and Nevada. Getting tire and service on the road was a nightmare. Dealer in Reno whom I had made arrangements with 3 weeks in advance texted when I was 50 miles away that they didnt have my oil, had to reschedule at a shop in Grass valley Ca that sold lawnmowers. 2 dealers in Calgary stated 10 days to get a tire so I ordered one in Williston ND. Became evident tire was not going to make Williston so stopped at a dealer in Rocky MtN House AB who referred me to a Suzuki dealer in Calgary who was able to overnight a tire (WTF) and change it as I was passing through. Buddies Harley had cam chain tightener issues, we stopped at a HD dealer at 5pm on July 3, they kept the shop open and repaired his bike. World of difference in support network between the two brands. Trip Mpg average was 40.2 mpg which included some aggressive twisty driving and high speed very high wind conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC5352A2-8D46-4CBC-B5B9-8C5310626104_1531661699124.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	81406   Click image for larger version

Name:	0818F036-ADFB-4DE1-B18A-1F5FD6CD5AF3_1531661740265.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	81408   Click image for larger version

Name:	F13D7EE0-86EB-40B3-B626-19837CA6C433_1531661806517.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	81410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA4F576-0EFD-4CEA-B09D-8ED2FE1DC2D0_1531661882774.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	81412   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D91C16A-DA55-4A2D-8721-63FEB39D9F5A_1531661930865.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	81414  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 AM
KCW

Garage
based on your post, you had a miserable time ranging between aggravation and nightmare

and a 9400 mile roadtrip on a motorcycle is an ordeal ?!

is that really the gist of the experience?

Last edited by KCW; 07-15-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Trip of a lifetime. Never said it was an ordeal although I was not expecting bad dealer customer service. I did receive excellent customer service from one Yamaha dealer, one Suzuki dealer and one lawn mower dealer. Simply mentioned the experiences that I was not expecting so that others could plan accordingly should they desire. Yamaha is touting this new machine as a Transcontinental tourer and while it is, the dealer network and choice of stock tire is not what it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoopermoose View Post
Trip of a lifetime. Never said it was an ordeal although I was not expecting bad dealer customer service. I did receive excellent customer service from one Yamaha dealer, one Suzuki dealer and one lawn mower dealer. Simply mentioned the experiences that I was not expecting so that others could plan accordingly should they desire. Yamaha is touting this new machine as a Transcontinental tourer and while it is, the dealer network and choice of stock tire is not what it should be.
Harley Davidson has their bad dealers as well, the Naples, Florida Harley Davidson dealer is not open on Sundays and Mondays so don't think Harley Davidson has everyone beat, they don't.

You can find plenty of bad reviews of Harley Davidson service departments.

Nice that you had a trip that you can remember for years to come, I noticed you had your bike pretty loaded down, and you said you had some fun getting on the throttle, that is the number killer of any tire, the right hand.

I live in southwest Florida and it gets damn hot down here, I have many a day had the on board temp display on my motorcycles read from 100 degrees to 106 degrees in the summer time. I avoid riding in the hottest part of the day as much as I can but it is not unusual to see temps in the low to mid 100 degree range.

Heat cycles actually harden the rubber on tires. Race teams will go out and do what they call scuff in tires on tracks that wear out a brand new tire to fast, what the scuffing in does is it puts the tire through a heat cycle and it makes the tire harder so it will wear longer.

I am getting very good tire wear on my Star Venture but I really am not hard on the throttle much at all. I also keep my air pressure at 41 PSI which helps.

Another thing that helps is tire balance, while lead weights will provide good enough balance to keep you from feeling an out of balance tire, as the tire wears it does start to go out of balance and that causes the tire to heat up.

I am running CounterAct Balance Beads in my rear tire right now and the rear tire is running cooler as the PSI only fluctuates one pound and rarely it climbs two pounds on me. The CounterAct Balance Beads keep the tire in balance from day one of riding right up until the tire is worn out and removed.

I have RideOn in the front tire, it also keeps the tire balanced at all times from day one until the tire is worn out and replaced. The RideOn does gain one to two pounds of pressure.

When I had the lead weights on the rims to balance the tires the bike rode smooth but the tires PSI would climb up 3 PSI and sometimes 4 PSI, so there is an improvement using the RideOn or the CounterAct Balance Beads.

I had a set of Centramatic wheel balancers on my Victory and the tires always wore evenly and I got very good mileage out of them and the bike felt like it was riding on glass the balance was so smooth.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Hey Yoop...glad to see you home, safe and sound. I have to tell ya...what I get from reading your running log...at Venture, and here...is that you had a pretty grueling 'track test' for any brand of motorcycle and engine/tranny/power transmission configuration. Your complaints, were not with the SVTC, but with getting expendables (tires, perhaps a drive belt if needed...) things that WILL wear out, and will wear out at different mileage logs, based on where the operation of the motorcycle was. I am very much gratified, that you were in some of the hottest topography, and no engine or transmission problems. You were running up mountain grades, with that SVTC loaded to the gills...and no problems taking on those inclines...and in the end...the SVTC faithfully got you home.

Great news...and most encouraging for a first year bike,,, with first year dealer support metrics and logistics....parts in stock, tires in stock, drive belts in stock...grommets...anything. I just ordered 6 side panel grommets from my dealer (because I anticipate them on the right side, ripping, with the putting it on, and taking it off for one up/ two up rear suspension settings and my Battery Tender lead location behind it. The story on the grommets? 3 weeks to get them. So....I'll bitch about not being able to get a tire within 24 hours of ordering, delivered to my or any dealer (if not already in stock) in about the next 18 months.

Yoop, this is a new bike, new tire size...and it has always taken 18-24 months to have the dealers sort out what they anticipate owners will need, at what mileage that will need it...and in fact my own Yama Mama dealer is going to now stock those side panel grommets, because he sees logistically wise, that they will be wanted by other SVTC and Eluder riders...

So...I take away that you had in fact, a spectacular first year, major trip...and that your SVTC gave no mechanical 'stop-the-show' during those 10,000 miles! Bravo, to Yamaha, and to your SVTC.

Tires? Dealer Logistics regarding them? Pffff.....that will follow. If you would of had an engine seizure, tranny fail,...wheel bearing failure...drive belt split....THAT would concern me, as a fellow owner...not that dealers in bum (you know what) Egypt....didn't have one (front or rear OEM) in stock, or their supply network, couldn't 24 hour it, to them...for myself...not an issue.

Congrat's on your fantastic trip....your SVTC faithfully delivered you back to your front door! THAT'S what matters....tires...we all replace....

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-15-2018 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

So American, I can relate but what milage are you getting on your stock Bridgestones (tread depth vs Mileage)? My buddy on his Dunlop’s riding the same trip and style, had consistently 2 to 3 32nds better tread depth. Is it radial vs bias or simply compound or a combination. Lying at a dealership is unacceptable at any level and it was my experience it happened more at the Yamaha dealerships I encountered along the way.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Agreed Joe, bike was awesome. My only complaints were the dealer network or lack thereof and less than anticipated tire longevity. Compared to my buddies HD Dunlop’s with the same riding conditions much worse.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
... choice of stock tire is not what it should be.

Wow, that looks hefty.
And I thought this was nuts.
KCW and Lonestar like this.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Agreed Joe, bike was awesome. My only complaints were the dealer network or lack thereof and less than anticipated tire longevity. Compared to my buddies HD Dunlop’s with the same riding conditions much worse.
What kind of mileage did your buddy get on the trip, before a tire swap out? Curious...

Yoop...you know the old joke of in every town across America...you'll always find three things..

1. A church
2.A U.S. Post Office
3 A Harley Davidson Dealer...

It has been suggested, that there might be a reason for a Hog Dealer found in every town, village, and district. I guess the same reason that there were so many Triumph and B.S.A. dealers, along the routes....unless you packed about 15 Zener Diodes in your jeans.... don't ask...don't ask...same for B.S.A. riders in the '60 and 70's.....I owned a 1970 Triumph Bonneville 650....don't ask...

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Darkside should help with the limited range of OEM tires.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode