Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By American
  • 1 Post By American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report

I have to add a disclaimer to this report: I do not know what the dealer actually put in the bike at the 4,000 mile service other than it is showing as a 50 weight oil but I requested Yamalube 15w-50, however Yamalube also makes a 20w-50 semi-synthetic and a 20w-50 conventional oil. Due to the dealer not changing the oil filter as I requested them to I have my doubts they put in Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic oil as well, I tend to believe that they used Yamalube 20w-50 conventional oil. I have written this giving the dealer benefit of doubt that they did use Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic but in all honesty I can not confirm they did and the engine did not perform like it had a true synthetic oil in it.

I got my oil report back from Blackstone laboratories, they received it just after 10 AM Tuesday morning and I got the results back by email at 4:52 PM, great turn around on this sample from them.

The oil was 50 weight oil so assuming the dealer did use the Yamalube 15w-50 oil as specified that oil is on the thick side of a 50 weight. Maybe this Yamaha engine is going to be like the Harley Twin Cam engines and the viscosity will increase instead of decrease. That is a normal issue in the Harley Twin Cam engines and Blackstone labs notes it but they say it does not seem to negatively effect anything and it is not known why the Harley engines cause this.

For the oil the SUS Viscosity @ 210 F came out to 89.7, the value range for a 50 weight is listed as 70-86 so this oil is at the very top of the 50 weight range with this sample measuring just over the top of the 50 weight spec.

The cSt Viscosity @ 100 C came out to 17.91, the value range is 13.0-17.3 so again just above the 50 weight spec.

Flashpoint was 425 degrees. The value is listed as 390 degrees or greater.

Fuel % was <0.5 value is listed as <2.0 so in this case in the comments they list this as no fuel found in the oil.

Antifreeze was 0.0

Water was 0.0

Insolubles % was 0.1 with the values <0.6

TBN measured 6.6 and the values should be over >1.0, TBN is the additives that naturalize the acids and such so readings above >1.0 mean you still have additives to combat the harmful deposits/acids. 6.6 is strong.

Miles on this oil sample was 1,342

Miles on the engine is 5,341 at the time of this sample.

Sample date 7/12/2018

No oil added during the mileage run.

This is the Elements in parts per million section

Aluminum was 9 PPM

Chromium was 0 PPM

Iron was 12 PPM

Copper was 3 PPM

Lead was 0 PPM

Tin was 0 PPM

Molybdenum 380 PPM

Nickel was 2 PPM

Manganese 1 PPM

Silver was 0 PPM

Titanium was 0 PPM

Potassium was 2 PPM

Boron was 36 PPM

Silicon was 18 PPM

Sodium was 4 PPM

Calcium was 2490 PPM

Magnesium was 10 PPM

Phosphorus was 1789 PPM

Zinc was 1888 PPM

Barium was 2 PPM

It appears that Yamalube puts a lot of Molybdenum in their 15w-50 synthetic oil so they must feel that Molybdenum is beneficial in their engines, primaries and transmissions. I would use an oil that carries Molybdenum, Redline is one such oil that does use Molybdenum in it.

Silicon is harder to read but from what I see I am betting they are adding silicon which is an anti foam agent from past research so trying to figure out what the oil already had in it verse what is from the air filtering is difficult without having a virgin oil sample to compare.

This oil is high in calcium.

Yamalube also has plenty of Phosphorus and Zinc at 1789 and 1888 respectively, so using other brands of oils with high Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc will not be a problem with the Yamaha emissions system.

Calcium is a detergent.

Zinc and Phosphorus perform the anti-wear function in the motor oil so high levels of ZDDP as they are called is good for the engine, primary and transmission in our bikes. We have gear driven primaries to go with the gears in the transmission.

Having received the report I did not like this oil, the engine felt rougher when running and this oil did test just over the top of the 50 weight spec so it is a heavy 50 weight to a light 60 weight. It tested at SUS Viscosity @ 210 F at 89.7 and the 50 weight values are between 70-86.

Yamaha specs this engine to use from 10w-40 to 20w-50 but I am wondering if this engine/primary/transmission likes the lower end of the oil specs better. I used Redline 10w-40 when I changed the oil and the engine is running smoother which leads me to believe this engine/primary/transmission likes the 10w-40 weight oils better than the upper end of the specs 15w-50/20w-50 oils.

My Victory was like this, it liked the 10w-40 weight better than the 20w-50 weight oils. I am going to stick with the Redline 10w-40 weight oil and will do another oil sample when I reach the 8,000 mile mark, that will have 2,659 miles on the oil.

It takes several oil changes to flush out the wear-in metals and this being a shared sump system with a gear driven primary I expect to see elevated numbers until there has been some more oil changes to flush out the system.

This engine/primary/transmission still holds a full quart of oil in it when you change the oil and filter as a dry fill it takes 6.6 quarts of oil and an oil change with a filter takes 5.6 quarts of oil, if you follow Yamaha's change the filter every other oil change you have even more oil remaining in the system. This engine only takes 5.18 quarts if you don't change the oil filter so you leave almost a quart and a half of oil in the engine if you don't change the oil filter each time.

It will take several oil changes to flush out wear metals from breaking in when you have a full quart of oil remaining in the engine each oil change with a filter change.

There was one mistake on the oil change report and that was the engine was listed as a 1300 CC engine so the universal averages on the far right side of the report will be wrong as that is a different family of engines, I have emailed Blackstone and explained the error so they should correct that and resend me a copy with the correct universal averages for our engine family.

If you send in an oil sample I recommend you put the engine size down in CC's instead of Cubic Inches, I think they list things in CC's for motorcycles and they thought I meant CC's instead of cubic inches. Our engines are 1854 CC.

Universal averages will depend on if they have ever received oil samples for the older Yamaha 1854 CC V-Twin engines, if not then mine would be the first and there would be no universal average to compare it to and it would start with my oil sample. Surely others have sent in an oil sample of the older 1854 CC engines but you never know.

Over all my report is not bad for a new engine that still retains a full quart of oil with an oil and filter change. I highly recommend changing the oil filter at each oil change to remove as much used oil as possible at least for the first 20,000 miles then if you want you could follow the Yamaha spec of only changing the oil filter every other oil change. Myself I will be changing the oil filter at each oil change.
fd757 and YamahaParExcellence like this.

Last edited by American; 07-18-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

One more thing, the Chromium correlates to ring wear so already the rings are seated and in this sample they showed no wear at 0 PPM.
fd757 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Blackstone contacted me and they are going to correct the engine family they did tell me their data base shows 26 reports from the 1854 CC engine family so while it is not a large example it is enough to start to see how these engines will wear.

What it won't tell us is how many were reports long after break-in vs reports that were near break-in or during break-in.

I will post the results when they email the new report. They were very thankful that I let them know the issue on the engine family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Just received the updated report with the correct 1854 CC V-Twin engine family. Looking at the report my engine is right in line and still has lingering break-in metals to be washed out through oil changes so things are looking very good for this engine design, Yamaha has a very sound engine design in this 1854 V-Twin engine.

One thing to remember if you send a sample to Blackstone make sure you identify the engine by its CC's not Cubic Inches so put it down as a 1854 CC V-Twin and it will be included in the correct data base for universal averages and it will help build the data base. Right now there are 27 oil samples for the 1854 CC Yamaha V-Twin in the data base with mine.

Here are the stats again with the Universal Averages following to the right:

Aluminum was 9 PPM Universal average 8 PPM

Chromium was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Iron was 12 PPM Universal average 13 PPM

Copper was 3 PPM Universal average 7 PPM

Lead was 0 PPM Universal average 2 PPM

Tin was 0 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Molybdenum 380 PPM Universal average 43 PPM

Nickel was 2 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Manganese 1 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Silver was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Titanium was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Potassium was 2 PPM Universal average 2 PPM

Boron was 36 PPM Universal average 83 PPM

Silicon was 18 PPM Universal average 10 PPM

Sodium was 4 PPM Universal average 61 PPM

Calcium was 2490 PPM Universal average 2461 PPM

Magnesium was 10 PPM Universal average 202 PPM

Phosphorus was 1789 PPM Universal average 1167 PPM

Zinc was 1888 PPM Universal average 1366 PPM

Barium was 2 PPM Universal average 1 PPM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Just received the updated report with the correct 1854 CC V-Twin engine family. Looking at the report my engine is right in line and still has lingering break-in metals to be washed out through oil changes so things are looking very good for this engine design, Yamaha has a very sound engine design in this 1854 V-Twin engine.

One thing to remember if you send a sample to Blackstone make sure you identify the engine by its CC's not Cubic Inches so put it down as a 1854 CC V-Twin and it will be included in the correct data base for universal averages and it will help build the data base. Right now there are 27 oil samples for the 1854 CC Yamaha V-Twin in the data base with mine.

Here are the stats again with the Universal Averages following to the right:

Aluminum was 9 PPM Universal average 8 PPM

Chromium was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Iron was 12 PPM Universal average 13 PPM

Copper was 3 PPM Universal average 7 PPM

Lead was 0 PPM Universal average 2 PPM

Tin was 0 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Molybdenum 380 PPM Universal average 43 PPM

Nickel was 2 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Manganese 1 PPM Universal average 1 PPM

Silver was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Titanium was 0 PPM Universal average 0 PPM

Potassium was 2 PPM Universal average 2 PPM

Boron was 36 PPM Universal average 83 PPM

Silicon was 18 PPM Universal average 10 PPM

Sodium was 4 PPM Universal average 61 PPM

Calcium was 2490 PPM Universal average 2461 PPM

Magnesium was 10 PPM Universal average 202 PPM

Phosphorus was 1789 PPM Universal average 1167 PPM

Zinc was 1888 PPM Universal average 1366 PPM

Barium was 2 PPM Universal average 1 PPM
American thanks for the update and posting the information on this.
Good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode