2018 Yamaha Star Venture V-Twin What Oil Are You Using And Your Results - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

2018 Yamaha Star Venture V-Twin What Oil Are You Using And Your Results

Being this engine has a redesign done to it and this bike is a new model from Yamaha it would be a help for others if people listed what oil they are using and their results and impressions of the oil in this redesigned engine/primary/transmission.

I have tried the 50 weight oil in mine and the 40 weight, in my case the bike comes from the factory with Yamalube 10w-40 conventional oil, the 600 mile service the dealer again used Yamalube 10w-40 conventional oil. Being I am a believer in synthetic oil I changed the oil and filter again at the 1,000 mile mark using Redline 20w-50 because I still had some left from owning my Harley Davidson. The engine was smooth and the transmission shifted smooth for the next 3,000 miles to the 4,000 mile service.

I ran that oil for 3,000 miles until the 4,000 mile service where I requested the dealer change the oil filter and use Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic oil. I can not confirm what oil the dealer put in the bike except to say it shows up as a heavy 50 weight to a light 60 weight oil on the Blackstone lab oil test I had done when I changed the oil again at the 5,341 mile mark. The dealer could have used Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic or they could have used Yamalube 20w-50 conventional oil, I don't know. I do know the dealer did not change the oil filter as I requested as the oil filter still had the same plier type oil filter wrench marks on it from my plier type oil filter wrench I used to install the filter. I did not yet have an end cap filer wrench to fit these Yamaha oil filters like the dealers have. I now have the Yamaha end cap oil filter wrench that the dealers use and I highly recommend this oil filter wrench as it is very high quality.

While I am giving the dealer benefit of the doubt in the Blackstone lab thread that they did use Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic oil I have my strong doubts and think they used 20w-50 Yamalube conventional oil instead.

My reason for thinking this is because the engine just ran rougher and the transmission shifted just a little harder. The engine ran smoother and the transmission shifted smoother with the Redline 20w-50 synthetic and now that I put in the Redline 10w-40 synthetic oil it is running nice and smooth and the transmission is shifting smoother again.

I have decided to stick with the Redline 10w-40 synthetic oil which uses a PAO and Ester base stock, the advantage of Ester is it has a positive polarity and will cling to the metal engine parts instead of draining off them which is a benefit to cold starts.

Synthetic oil to me is a better solution in these air cooled V-Twin engines especially when they are a shared sump design with a gear driven primary. If you get into high temps or have to sit in some traffic a synthetic oil is not going to breakdown like a conventional group 2 or hydro-cracked conventional group 3 oil will so you end up with far better protection for the engine/primary/transmission in the long run. Remember that Castrol won a decision over Mobil many years ago that changed everything when it comes to synthetic oil, the NAD (National Advertising Division) ruled that Castrol could call their group 3 hydro-cracked conventional oil full synthetic even though it is not made in a lab with every molecule being the same like a true synthetic oil is. In my opinion the NAD and API for going along did a huge disservice to consumers with that ruling. In Germany they can't label group 3 hydro-cracked oil as synthetic, only group 4 and group 5 oils can be labeled synthetic over there which is how it should be here as well.

So I am running Redline 10w-40 synthetic in mine.

What are you other Star Venture owners running and how do you like it?

Last edited by American; 07-18-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM

I'm using, since the 600 mile inspection and oil/filter change, YamaLube 15W50 Full Synthetic, getting great, top tier (from other user's experiences) mpg, rock smooth 1,000 rpm idle, and mechanically the only sound is from the CAM chamber, with of course the metal swishing sound of cam face, lifting up the hydraulic lifter bottom flat. No top head (valve noise) whatsoever, meaning that the top end does not stand out above all other mean average mechanical sounds as the engine spins its song, and mostly from the cam's working and lifting the H.L, and they activating the top end...but in my case, very quietly, for the cams (residing in the triangulated engine casing) to be the loudest mechanical noise from the whole engine.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-18-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Good to see you post about the Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic, hopefully others will post if someone is traveling and in need of an oil change they will know that there are multiple oils out there that work well for others and they won't feel they have to use there preferred oil if it is not available. There are several good synthetic oils out there, Mobil One V-Twin may be a good go to oil to finish a trip as it is normally available in most auto parts stores in the motorcycle oil section.

One oil I would stay far away from is Harley Davidson's Syn 3 oil, while it is labeled as a synthetic in all likely hood it is a group 3 hydro-cracked oil being labeled as a synthetic. The reason I say that is when I had my Harley the dealer did the 1,000 mile service and it included Synthetic Syn 3 Harley Davidson oil for all three holes in the Harley. It did not take long for that Syn 3 oil to break down and at idle it would make a racket and the primary would make a clanging sound. I switched over to Redline power pack they sell that uses Redline 20w-50 engine oil, Redline primary oil and Redline transmission shock proof oil and that stopped the racket and the primary from making the clanging sound.

Oils we have good reports on with the first two having been used in my Star Venture by me:

1 Redline 20w-50

2 Redline 10w-40

3. Yamalube 15w-50

Good substitute oil if traveling on the road and can't get your preferred oil:

1. Mobil One V-Twin

2. Depending on the dealer Amsoil might be another option that you could find at a motorcycle dealer.

Last edited by American; 07-18-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Good to see you post about the Yamalube 15w-50 synthetic, hopefully others will post if someone is traveling and in need of an oil change they will know that there are multiple oils out there that work well for others and they won't feel they have to use there preferred oil if it is not available. There are several good synthetic oils out there, Mobil One V-Twin may be a good go to oil to finish a trip as it is normally available in most auto parts stores in the motorcycle oil section.

One oil I would stay far away from is Harley Davidson's Syn 3 oil, while it is labeled as a synthetic in all likely hood it is a group 3 hydro-cracked oil being labeled as a synthetic. The reason I say that is when I had my Harley the dealer did the 1,000 mile service and it included Synthetic Syn 3 Harley Davidson oil for all three holes in the Harley. It did not take long for that Syn 3 oil to break down and at idle it would make a racket and the primary would make a clanging sound. I switched over to Redline power pack they sell that uses Redline 20w-50 engine oil, Redline primary oil and Redline transmission shock proof oil and that stopped the racket and the primary from making the clanging sound.

Oils we have good reports on with the first two having been used in my Star Venture by me:

1 Redline 20w-50

2 Redline 10w-40

3. Yamalube 15w-50

Good substitute oil if traveling on the road and can't get your preferred oil:

1. Mobil One V-Twin

Thanks everyone. My 4000 is coming up and I wanted to switch to a full synthetic, I think I will first go with the 10/40 Yamaha full synthetic.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Thanks everyone. My 4000 is coming up and I wanted to switch to a full synthetic, I think I will first go with the 10/40 Yamaha full synthetic.
Yamalube 10w-40 is group II conventional petroleum oil.

Yamalube also makes a 20w-50 group II petroleum oil.

Yamalube makes two semi synthetic oils a 10w-50 and a 20w-50.

Yamalube make a full synthetic oil which is a 15w-50.

Be forewarned that apparently not all Yamaha dealers stock the Yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Thanks American - I haven't looked yet Yamaha doesn't make a 10/40 full synthetic?
If so I guess my next choice will be the 15/50.
I see Amazon has the oil my get it there, if not I will call ahead or ride up there before the service to make sure it is there.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 AM

I’ve been using or at least my mechanic is telling me they’re using the synthetic in it since the break in oil change. I haven’t witnessed them pouring it in. Yes, I have a slight trust issue with them. With the recent Navigation issue and not putting dash fully together, and how to handle my saddle bag dilemma, I’m not completely satisfied with them. 😩
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mitchell View Post
I’ve been using or at least my mechanic is telling me they’re using the synthetic in it since the break in oil change. I haven’t witnessed them pouring it in. Yes, I have a slight trust issue with them. With the recent Navigation issue and not putting dash fully together, and how to handle my saddle bag dilemma, I’m not completely satisfied with them. 😩
I know what you mean, but the great thing is oil changes on this bike are very easy and not messy at all. If you make a mess changing the oil on this bike you were just being careless.

My Harley Davison Ultra Limited was not bad until you got to the oil filter and that always made a mess no matter how careful you tried to be.

My Victory Cross Country Tour was not bad as everything was out in the open like this Yamaha Star Venture.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Thanks American - I haven't looked yet Yamaha doesn't make a 10/40 full synthetic?
If so I guess my next choice will be the 15/50.
I see Amazon has the oil my get it there, if not I will call ahead or ride up there before the service to make sure it is there.
Thanks again.
I also suggest that you order, or buy one extra quart, to have at home for in-between oil change top up's should you need to. That is what I have done. One, ready to go, just in case.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mitchell View Post
That sucks but I am right there with ya. Sad....
Nice choice of color by the way.

Last edited by GARider; 07-20-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode