First service - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

First service

I got quoted between $600-$700 USD. For the first service. That sounds a bit ridiculous, and what exactly goes into the first service for our bikes to cost that much? I’m thinking they are bumping out the labor rate to compensate for the tech to figure it out. Anyone want to chime in with the going rate, and what exactly this service covers will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 PM

That is a rip off. Even my dealer who is one of the worst dealers there is only charged $341.75 for the first service which is still high as they originally told me the first service costs about $150 to $175.

I will no longer take my bike to my selling dealer because they are a bunch of crooks.
GARider likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 PM

To be honest a first service is pretty much an oil change, the rest is just inspections and checking the torque of certain fasteners.

You can do all the same work yourself for a fraction of the cost and you get to spend time with your bike learning it and you know the work was done properly.

If you are not mechanically inclined then you might have to bite the bullet so to speak and bend over at the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. The dealer was making it seem like they had to hook it up to a computer, and do some other advanced stuff with the electronics. I can handle torques and oil
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM
KCW

Garage
I would not under estimate the importance of the first service on any motorcycle.

If something was not fabricated or assembled correctly at the factory, if it does not fail the first time the bike is used, it will most likely fail within the first couple hundred miles. That is part of the reason the first service is at 600 or 1000 miles, and the rest are at 4000 to 8000 mile intervals. That plus its important to change out the factory oil and filter, in case anything got flushed loose in the first several hours of riding the bike.

$700 seems pretty steep - that is about 10 hours of shop time / labor rates. I would think 2 to 3 hours would cover everything that needs to be drained, changed and checked - unless Yamaha thinks it is necessary to re-torque every single bolt and fastener in the entire motorcycle.
GARider likes this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellionFTW View Post
Good to know. The dealer was making it seem like they had to hook it up to a computer, and do some other advanced stuff with the electronics. I can handle torques and oil
They do hook up the Yamaha diagnostic computer but if you are not getting a check engine light it should not be downloading any codes.

Here is the owners manual and what a 600 mile service entails:

1. Diagnostic system Check, check for error codes.

2. Clutch, Check operation, fluid level and for fluid leakage.

3. Front brake, Check operation, fluid level and for fluid leakage.

4. Rear brake, Check operation, fluid level and for fluid leakage.

5. Drive belt, Check belt condition, check belt tension adjust if necessary.

6. Steering bearings, Check bearing assemblies for looseness.

7. Sidestand Switch Check operation and replace if necessary.

8. Engine oil, Change (warm engine before draining).

9. Engine oil filter cartridge, Replace.

10. Front and rear brake switches, Check operation.

11. Lights, signals and switches, Check operation. Adjust headlight beam.

That is all the listed items for a 600 mile service from the owners manual out of 28 total items for routine maintenance.
GARider likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 PM

To be honest I don't know many people who really take their motorcycles to the dealer for service including the first service.

I took my Harley in for the first service at 1,000 miles because I had three oil changes and it included the first service. I took this Yamaha Star Venture in for the first service because I purchased a maintenance package that includes all scheduled maintenance.

But after having issues with the dealer I am eating the cost of the contract and doing the maintenance myself from here on out. I have zero trust in the dealership.

This bike is pretty easy to work on, which actually surprises me as most of the time engineers will find a way to make everything hard to work on.
Keith Post and GARider like this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Being mechanically challenged and living in an apartment I have no choice. But I am lucky to have a great dealer and service dept. Andre a jr tech the guy who did my first service on my Custom 1100 back in 2002 became service manager. They hold on to their people a long time, Must pay good wages. PCP Yamaha rocks.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:18 PM
KCW

Garage
The last couple cars I purchased new came with free oil changes for the first couple service internals, and they would do a 97 point check over the whole car.

I think they do that to catch anything that might be an issue before they end up with serious warranty repairs.

I think they also do this with new car owners to show them their service department and how nicely they can do your service work.

Last edited by KCW; 07-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
Being mechanically challenged and living in an apartment I have no choice. But I am lucky to have a great dealer and service dept. Andre a jr tech the guy who did my first service on my Custom 1100 back in 2002 became service manager. They hold on to their people a long time, Must pay good wages. PCP Yamaha rocks.
I envy you guys with good dealers, living in the retirement capitol of the world (Florida) many dealers prey on retirees because they are older and no longer have the place or ability to service their own vehicles so they will pay a shop to do the work.

Maybe it is because I started out after school as a mechanic and was taught to do the job right the first time that I just hold dealers to a standard they are just not willing to reach for.

This is a quote for shops to live by: :Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but there is always enough time to do the same job a second time".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode