Second Venture Test Ride Questions. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Second Venture Test Ride Questions.

So my local dealership let me take one of the Transcont. Ventures on an extended ride by myself. I was able to go on some nice quiet roads to actually listen to the bike and look at the instruments and flick it around a little bit. I noticed a couple of things and wanted to ask about them.

The turn signals.. sometimes they would flash kind of fast sometimes slow. Also are they self cancel? I tried to test it during the ride, but they seemed to stay on longer than I would like.

While riding the security light (I think) was flashing. I had the keys with me so they were not left at the dealership. Anyone come across that?

Anyone found better exhaust for it yet? It is a little too quiet. I am not looking for total BRAAAP but would like morre rumble.

I did not look in the owners manual but how the heck do you use the "sure park"? I put it in neutral and tried the buttons. I guess I missed the turn on switch for it.. LOL

How much of a pain have you found the backwards fuel flap to be?

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post

I did not look in the owners manual but how the heck do you use the "sure park"? I put it in neutral and tried the buttons. I guess I missed the turn on switch for it.. LOL
There should be a lever on your left side below the tank that you supposed to pull down to engage sure park motor clutch.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
There should be a lever on your left side below the tank that you supposed to pull down to engage sure park motor clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGAJiS40SBo
Cool, I was making a video, although I did not need the sure park system I wanted to show it. Its not that big of a deal just wanted to play with it some. I am soooo getting that bike as soon as I can. I test rode 3 bikes that day. I have to be honest. The Harley Ultra and the Venture are neck and neck. What it came down to was the warranty on the Yamaha and their reputation for reliability. I am not going into the full review of either bike but the local Harley dealer did a quote for me with very similar equipment on the Ultra and came out cheaper than the Venture. I was shocked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Garage
Harley needs to do something about their sale decline trend, perhaps that was the reason? I was able to negotiate 4k off the original price when bought my RK so I bet dealers are more "willing to negotiate" these days.

I have "demoed" the Venture a couple of times. It's a cool bike, but I'm not a big fan of fairings, that's why I got the RK (could've got a Street Glide for the same price). Personally I liked the aesthetics of the Eluder better, but I don't really like the name lol

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I am good with or without fairings for every day riding. My "touring bike" I want them. I love the look of the Eluder and Venture.
Keith Post and nurtaeff like this.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
So my local dealership let me take one of the Transcont. Ventures on an extended ride by myself. I was able to go on some nice quiet roads to actually listen to the bike and look at the instruments and flick it around a little bit. I noticed a couple of things and wanted to ask about them.

The turn signals.. sometimes they would flash kind of fast sometimes slow. Also are they self cancel? I tried to test it during the ride, but they seemed to stay on longer than I would like.

While riding the security light (I think) was flashing. I had the keys with me so they were not left at the dealership. Anyone come across that?

Anyone found better exhaust for it yet? It is a little too quiet. I am not looking for total BRAAAP but would like morre rumble.

How much of a pain have you found the backwards fuel flap to be?
Hi there NGM. Let’s try to address these questions.
1. YES, the turn signals are self cancelling. They work on time/distance. According to the manual it’s 490ft / 15secomds.
Some people feel that’s a bit long, but I haven’t had an issue.

2. The sound coming from the pipes MATURES as the bike breaks in. In my experience and a few other owners here, it seems that the pipes “burn in” after a few thousand miles and the sound becomes both deeper and louder but not to an annoying level.
Your best bet is to listen to someone who already one with some mileage on it.
Out of curiosity, I myself DID contact both Vance & Hines AND Cobra to see if they had any plans on making something for the new Ventures & Eluders. Both stated “not at this time”.

3. The security light flashing occurs when the bike is running but it cannot detect the signal from the key fob. If you had it in your pocket, chances are that the fob batteries are getting low. If you placed it in the trunk with other stuff, that would be the issue. There’s a small pocket of about a 3ft area, ie rider or passenger (at most) where it can detect the signal. I’ve heard of others having the same issue happen if they put it in the trunk cuz it was in a jacket pocket or something.

4. SUREPARK will work with or without the bike running. The bike must be turned “ON” and whether running or not must be in “NEUTRAL”. Just flip the lever down located along the bottom left of the gas tank. When you do that, you will see the display screen say “SUREPARK ON”. Just push the button in the left handlebar control to move forward or backward. The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?

5. The fuel door is rather “ODD” in my opinion. Don’t know why they have it opening backwards, but you get used to it. I haven’t spilled fuel all over because of it if that’s your concern.

Glad you enjoyed your test ride! IMHO, it has more than enough power, and is VERY comfortable. There are so many amenities that it does take a while to learn them all, but once you get things set up the way you want (many features and screen displays are customizable) you won’t hardly have to just glance at the screen to confirm a selection.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 07-23-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. Iím not sure if thatís due to battery usage or what?
To let the motor cool down? I assume it's the same deal as with the starter

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?
To let the motor cool down? I assume it's the same deal as with the starter
Maybe. Unlike the others that use the starter motor, the SVTC has a dedicated motor for this. It could be susceptible to the same heat issue I suppose.
Regardless why, it does cut out for 5 min after 50 seconds of continual usage.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 PM

The key fob light coming on is because the signal was blocked, the manual addresses this as well, I have noticed it depends on how the key fob is located in my right front pocket as to if the key fob light will come on because it has lost communication between the fob and the bike. I just reach down and move the key fob through my pant leg and it picks up the signal and the light goes out.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM

I doubt you are going to find many companies willing to jump in with an exhaust because the catalytic converters are in the mufflers, Harley has moved to the same set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode