Manufacture Date - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Manufacture Date

Of your new bike? I was at a local dealer recently and both their SVTC and Eluder showed September 2017 (9/17) on the vin stickers. Iím guessing many bikes will be that way due to their initial production run and subsequent release delay.

Not an issue as the warranty starts when the bike is sold, but Iím just curious when yours was made to see if theyíre all from the same batch.

On a related topic, the dealer manager (son of the owner) said Yamaha wonít be selling Ď19 models until December due to the delay, guess weíll have to wait and see.

Travis

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry 1775
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM

My Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental was manufactured on 11/17.

I would not put to much stock into what the dealer manager said about pushing back the 2019 model year, that just does not make sense unless there is a delay like happened to the 2018 models, if manufactures did that every time a delay occurred they would end up having to skip entire model years at some point. They all want their next model year vehicles out to take advantage of the yearly cycle.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
My Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental was manufactured on 11/17.

I would not put to much stock into what the dealer manager said about pushing back the 2019 model year, that just does not make sense unless there is a delay like happened to the 2018 models, if manufactures did that every time a delay occurred they would end up having to skip entire model years at some point. They all want their next model year vehicles out to take advantage of the yearly cycle.
Thanks American, and I agree. He may be under the impression that Yamaha has extra from the initial production run in a warehouse that havenít sold yet, so they donít need to make any new ones right now. Apparently he had several people interested in the new bike before the delay, but no one has come back to look at them after. He also said only one person has ridden their SVTC, and theyíve had it for a while.

Yamaha did it the right way in my opinion, though. Better to release a new product after a known issue is resolved than to sell it on schedule and use your customers as beta testers.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry 1775
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 PM

I have a bike birth date of 7/17 but just got it March 31st.
Number 617. My dealer still has both the SVTC and the Eluder and have sat so long that they moved them to the back of the very large showroom. I am hoping that moving them to the back is a way to make folks walk to the back thru the maze of other bikes...and not because the love is lost....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Garage
Odd thing I learned a while back, Euro/German cars will often be released for the current year, but actually have build dates several years old. Only a few minor changes occurred during the time, if any. I don't know that that could or would happen with the new touring bikes, but Yamaha has kept the formula pretty close on their cruiser lines for years it seems.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
I have a bike birth date of 7/17 but just got it March 31st.
Number 617. My dealer still has both the SVTC and the Eluder and have sat so long that they moved them to the back of the very large showroom. I am hoping that moving them to the back is a way to make folks walk to the back thru the maze of other bikes...and not because the love is lost....
I guess Yamaha didn't have any rhyme or reason in the way they distributed these bikes. I was part of the Priority Delivery Program and put money down on my bike on July 27th 2017. I had my bike delivered on December 29th 2017 and was told I was the first in the Southeast region to get mine, yet my bike serial # is 694 with a manufacture date of 8/17. That's so weird!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
I thought motorcycle year models were similar to cars. July thru June is year. EX: July/17 thru June/18 is the 2018 model year. 2019 models started last month. Or am I wrong?

BTW --- Big Burtha's born date is 10/99, but she is a 2000 year model Road Star. Although, her BORN AGAIN date is February of 2018. That is when I bought her, repair her and got her road worthy again. Minus a hiccup here & there. She has given me over 3000 miles of smiles so far.
lesblank likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
I thought motorcycle year models were similar to cars. July thru June is year. EX: July/17 thru June/18 is the 2018 model year. 2019 models started last month. Or am I wrong?

BTW --- Big Burtha's born date is 10/99, but she is a 2000 year model Road Star. Although, her BORN AGAIN date is February of 2018. That is when I bought her, repair her and got her road worthy again. Minus a hiccup here & there. She has given me over 3000 miles of smiles so far.
Scrumdown, what’s the delay in riding? You’ve had her 5 months and only 3k miles? I took mine in for break in service of 600 miles 3 days after I got her. Had my 4K mike service done in March and got her December 29th.
You need to ride more! 👍😁
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I guess Yamaha didn't have any rhyme or reason in the way they distributed these bikes. I was part of the Priority Delivery Program and put money down on my bike on July 27th 2017. I had my bike delivered on December 29th 2017 and was told I was the first in the Southeast region to get mine, yet my bike serial # is 694 with a manufacture date of 8/17. That's so weird!
Well holy crap I hope I don't have the engine troubles you had. I would just cry.....
I always thought I had too much engine noise. So that along with the low miles per gallon I am getting this is freakin making me concern.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Well holy crap I hope I don't have the engine troubles you had. I would just cry.....
I always thought I had too much engine noise. So that along with the low miles per gallon I am getting this is freakin making me concern.
I hope not too! I ride mine pretty aggressive too an
Nd the problem showed up at 7850 miles. It also never got above 38 mpg. Now I’m getting 41mpg easily.
Just keep an eye & ear on it. It seemed to be getting real noisy & I thought it was because I was running 10w-40 & we had hot weather & getting close to 8k mile oil change. After I put a synthetic 20w-50 in and it didn’t quiet down, I KNEW something wasn’t right.
So far, we’ve chalked it up to tech not lubing the cam properly during re-assembly. If it happens to yours, I wonder if the same tech?
Let’s just pray it’s not a problem. BTW, how many miles you got Rich?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode