750 mile 2-up break in run. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By Bucfan11
  • 1 Post By GARider
  • 4 Post By ChiefGunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

750 mile 2-up break in run.

We just got back from dropping our 08 Wing off for consignment and picking up our new SVTC. It was a 750-mile return trip with 600 miles being made today, with about 50 of those in heavy, heavy rain. I noticed the sound system is far better than the Wing. The weather protection was about the same. I did think the seat needed breaking in but it wasn't too bad. My main concern with this bike was the engine. After 750 miles...it still is. I'm hoping I will get used to the lugging and pulsating of the engine. Power and performance were good for a touring bike. I did not notice much "extra" heat in the cockpit however the back of my left leg cooked, even at 70 on the interstate. Maybe when the motor breaks in it will reduce that. Electronics were great. I have not figured them all out yet but once I learn how to turn the radio off I'll be good! The GPS was fine except I could not hear it at 70 MPH with it turned up to 7/7.
My wife rode with me up and back. She was emotionally attached to our Wing. I had 126K with her on the back for a lot of those miles. She actually cried when we left it. My wife is 5'1" and 100 LB. She could not reach the floorboards so the back of her legs rested on the front of the saddlebags. Her feet pretty much dangled, which resulted in her feet swelling before we got home. I raised the floorboards already but not sure if they will be high enough for her. Plus she missed her armrests...Momma aint happy!
First I need to make her happy. Anyone know of any highway pegs and/or armrests for the passenger? I will then get some highway pegs and a backrest for me.
I realize the Wing was 9 years old and we had made it to fit us and I believe we will be able to do the same with the Yamaha. We were both pleased with the heated seats/grips.
It sure is one good looking machine, even wet.
Shout out to Allsports Powersports in Decatur, Alabama. The absolute best buying experience I have ever had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0812181630a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	81858  

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:14 PM

Garage
Glad you guys got home safely despite the rain. Great looking bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
Good to hear you made it home safely. Keep us informed on the footpeg and armrest fix. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
We just got back from dropping our 08 Wing off for consignment and picking up our new SVTC. It was a 750-mile return trip with 600 miles being made today, with about 50 of those in heavy, heavy rain. I noticed the sound system is far better than the Wing. The weather protection was about the same. I did think the seat needed breaking in but it wasn't too bad. My main concern with this bike was the engine. After 750 miles...it still is. I'm hoping I will get used to the lugging and pulsating of the engine. Power and performance were good for a touring bike. I did not notice much "extra" heat in the cockpit however the back of my left leg cooked, even at 70 on the interstate. Maybe when the motor breaks in it will reduce that. Electronics were great. I have not figured them all out yet but once I learn how to turn the radio off I'll be good! The GPS was fine except I could not hear it at 70 MPH with it turned up to 7/7.
My wife rode with me up and back. She was emotionally attached to our Wing. I had 126K with her on the back for a lot of those miles. She actually cried when we left it. My wife is 5'1" and 100 LB. She could not reach the floorboards so the back of her legs rested on the front of the saddlebags. Her feet pretty much dangled, which resulted in her feet swelling before we got home. I raised the floorboards already but not sure if they will be high enough for her. Plus she missed her armrests...Momma aint happy!
First I need to make her happy. Anyone know of any highway pegs and/or armrests for the passenger? I will then get some highway pegs and a backrest for me.
I realize the Wing was 9 years old and we had made it to fit us and I believe we will be able to do the same with the Yamaha. We were both pleased with the heated seats/grips.
Shout out to Allsports Powersports in Decatur, Alabama. The absolute best buying experience I have ever had.
Bucfan11 Glad you made it home safe and sound. Nice bike good luck. On the heat if you haven't already make sure the lower fairing vents are open. I don't have this excessive heat issue. I am not sure about the arm rest my wife has the same concern. She too is 5'1" and she or I haven't notice any issues with the foot rest but she hasn't been on a ride with me yet. We will have to test this out but for me it is not a deal breaker.
I don't notice the engine pulsating this bike is very smooth. I have about 3400 miles now so not sure if it was there in the beginning. I still notice the rubbery feeling in the handlebars I don't care for but something I am getting use too.
The heated seats get real freakin hot as well as the grips in the hot setting.
Chief found some highway pegs. I think he posted them on this forum but I am sure he will respond.
Again good luck and hope you enjoy many miles and smiles.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
Hey Bucfan, CONGRATS! Sorry your inaugural trip was fraught with rain.
Couple things here that I’ve noticed in my 11,000 miles of ownership.
1. The bike DOES cool down after you get some mileage on her. I think it’s just wear in friction causing some of the extra heat. Will still feel “some” heat, yes. It’s an air cooled motor, but after many miles the only time I really feel it is stop n go traffic in warm temperatures.
2. Regarding “armrests”, I have contacted Kuryakyn personally and asked them about plans for items for the SVTC. They are waiting to see how the Venture does before jumping in. Remember it’s a first year release. Just an FYI, I got the same thing when I contacted Vance & Hines and Cobra. There are places that are slowly coming out with items for the SVTC but not armrests as of yet. That being said, Kuryakyn DOES have rider pegs/boards that will fit the SVTC. Because of how low the frame bar is (by the fog lights) you’ll need to use the “Longhorn” bars and a 1” clamp. The actual peg or board style is your choice.
3. Regarding the “engine pulse”... well you got 2 cylinders about the size of a coffee can surging. And even though it has dual counter balancers, you are going to “feel the engine”. It’s part of the V-Twin feel, but it’s very smooth in comparison to any other V-Twin out there.
4. I have the Yamaha “Tall” backrest and it works fine for me (I’m 6’-3”). I know you’ve heard of Ultimate seats, well they are making a backrest for the SVTC that hits you mid back and is designed for the stock seat.
5. Regarding “volume” issues. There are a few volume adjustments that work together although independently adjusted.
First off, you NEED the headsets if you don’t have them.
While you can set the NAV volume at 7, there is another setting for your headset volume (not the master) where you can tailor what you want. THEN once you have that set, the MASTER volume control (handlebars) will raise/lower or mute ALL together. ALSO, there is a “background noise” compensation adjustment. You can set low, med, high. This setting will raise the volume level accordingly as you ride to compensate for engine/wind noise.
The radio does not have an “OFF”. It will come on what you have selected each time you start up. The only way I’ve found to completely turn it off is to “de-select” it.
You can select what item you want to hear and WHERE, whether in helmet, external speaker, BOTH or none. That also applies to EACH audio source for both rider and passenger. One can listen to NAV and the other doesn’t have to, or same with CB, etc..
My best advice is to spend some time reading the 118 page instruction manual on the Infotainment system.

I hope that helps. Any questions and there are a few of us who have many miles that can answer any questions you may have.
Again, CONGRATS on the new bike!

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 08-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode