Trailer Hitch - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mortimerr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trailer Hitch

I have towed a small trailer on my past three bikes. The hitches I installed on the first two bikes were home-built, and I just tapped into the existing wiring. On the last bike (Goldwing) after much surfing and comparisons, I purchased a hitch and plug-and-play wiring harness from RIVCO. Much nicer and easier to install.

Now with a new 2018 Venture in the stable, I need to once again install a new hitch. While there are a couple of different hitches out there, I REALLY liked the RIVCO design and attention to detail. They don't have one available, but after contacting them I found that they do have one on the drawing board.

According to RIVCO, a new hitch AND wiring harness may be available in November. I have no idea whether it will just tie into the sub-frame (as all the other hitches do) or tie into the main-frame, but however it attaches, I'm sure it will be sturdy.

I am especially excited about the wiring harness. If it's like the harness I got for my 'wing, it should plug into existing connectors without compromising the existing wiring. They also have a trailer light relay/isolation module available. I believe this will be important since all of the lighting on the Venture is LED - the existing wiring probably won't have the capacity to provide power to additional lights - especially incandescent lights.

As I hear more, I'll pass it on.
Elk and wimg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerr View Post
I have towed a small trailer on my past three bikes. The hitches I installed on the first two bikes were home-built, and I just tapped into the existing wiring. On the last bike (Goldwing) after much surfing and comparisons, I purchased a hitch and plug-and-play wiring harness from RIVCO. Much nicer and easier to install.

Now with a new 2018 Venture in the stable, I need to once again install a new hitch. While there are a couple of different hitches out there, I REALLY liked the RIVCO design and attention to detail. They don't have one available, but after contacting them I found that they do have one on the drawing board.

According to RIVCO, a new hitch AND wiring harness may be available in November. I have no idea whether it will just tie into the sub-frame (as all the other hitches do) or tie into the main-frame, but however it attaches, I'm sure it will be sturdy.

I am especially excited about the wiring harness. If it's like the harness I got for my 'wing, it should plug into existing connectors without compromising the existing wiring. They also have a trailer light relay/isolation module available. I believe this will be important since all of the lighting on the Venture is LED - the existing wiring probably won't have the capacity to provide power to additional lights - especially incandescent lights.

As I hear more, I'll pass it on.
Hi Mortimerr, I have some info already posted on the TWO hitches available out there already. Bushtec was going to make one (I spoke with them) but hasn’t stepped up yet. One is a plate type from JP Cycles & other (my preference at motorcyclehitch.com ) a receiver hitch. What we are concerned about is the wiring hookup becaause the SVTC uses a CANbus wiring system. Look up CANbus and you’ll understand what I mean.
The receiver hitch maker stated they have a wiring harness for the SVTC, and I’m waiting for confirmation back from them that the harness takes into account the use of a CANbus wiring configuration.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 08-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The wiring harness is also what I'm concerned about. I hadn't realized it utilizes a CANbus system, but it makes sense in this day and age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Garage
I found this one on Bigbikeparts.com, I would though be interested in a receiver hitch.

Your Web Browser does not allow this website to use cookies

Also if anyone has found a good trailer light connection please share as I am looking to get this added to my new Venture. I have pulled a trailer with my old Royal Star and now needing to get this on my new one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode