Possibly related to the same SVTC engine problems others have reported? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Possibly related to the same SVTC engine problems others have reported?

I am not absolutely sure that it was here on this forum that I read about a fellow member having some kind of engine problems (I think it was valve related?) with his/her SVTC a while ago but noticed this person's report of a "camshaft" problem with his new SVTC and thought I would ask about thoughts as to whether or not this might be something becoming common..
Apparently the person writing this is up in Canada somewhere and may gonna be bikeless until the ride season is over up there (October), definitely brings when you think about it..

The article is found here: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...lable-for-SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 PM
KCW

Garage
one of the new venture owners here did have a problem.. I think the lifter jammed and mashed a cam.

It has all been fixed and he is riding again, so I think the guy on the other forum is new venture owner #2 with a jammed lifter and mashed cam.

Im sure the guy on this forum will see this when he is not riding and reply.

BTW, those guys on the other site are hard core: lawyers? Suing yamaha for damages?! I missed the part where someone died because they could not ride their motorcycle!

There is nothing in the sales contract that states Yamaha must fix a bike under warranty within a fixed time period. If you want to see some owners of $120,000 cars who are very unhappy with the time it takes to get their cars repaired, go read the Tesla owners forum!

YIKES!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I am not absolutely sure that it was here on this forum that I read about a fellow member having some kind of engine problems (I think it was valve related?) with his/her SVTC a while ago but noticed this person's report of a "camshaft" problem with his new SVTC and thought I would ask about thoughts as to whether or not this might be something becoming common..
Apparently the person writing this is up in Canada somewhere and may gonna be bikeless until the ride season is over up there (October), definitely brings [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] when you think about it..

The article is found here: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...lable-for-SVTC
LoneStar, that was me who had the valve issue. Yes it was the rear cylinder and they basically replaced my whole valve train. I was without a bike for a total of almost 3 weeks, but the dealership had a gray demo SVTC that they let me take out and ride for the last week. It was very kind of them.
As far as WHY the valve issue, if you remember there was a delay in the release of the SVTC. This was caused by a leaking crank case seal. Yamaha chose to do the repairs in house instead of pushing it off on the dealers. There were about 500 bikes that had the engine pulled, repaired and re-installed. From the damage (I have pics) that happened to mine, it is assumed by all that during reassembly, either no or insufficient cam lube was applied. As you know this lubricates the cam during start up until the oil can get circulating. Without that, the cam and lifter became “scored” and wear continued to progress from there.
All my oil changes, type and levels were always spot on. This was their bad.
I’m sorry to have someone else go through that, and that he’s willing to give up on a wonderful machine because of a glitch.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 08-29-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
LoneStar, that was me who had the valve issue. Yes it was the rear cylinder and they basically replaced my whole valve train. I was without a bike for a total of almost 3 weeks, but the dealership had a gray demo SVTC that they let me take out and ride for the last week. It was very kind of them.
As far as WHY the valve issue, if you remember there was a delay in the release of the SVTC. This was caused by a leaking crank case seal. Yamaha chose to do the repairs in house instead of pushing it off on the dealers. There were about 500 bikes that had the engine pulled, repaired and re-installed. From the damage (I have pics) that happened to mine, it is assumed by all that during reassembly, either no or insufficient cam lube was applied. As you know this lubricates the cam during start up until the oil can get circulating. Without that, the cam and lifter became “scored” and wear continued to progress from there.
I’m sorry to have someone else go through that, and that he’s willing to give up on a wonderful machine because of a glitch.
I have to wonder now, is every SVTC with a last three digits at 500 numeral (or less) on the engine serial number going to have this....when they hand rebuilt the motors, did they NOT as procedure re-lube all rotating parts before final re-installation? With the second one...(of course, I'd love someone on that forum to ask that owner his last three digits on his engine serial number (that is important!), so we can see if this might be a concern to everybody that has a bike at 500 or less for those last three digits!!!

Chief...I know you are still logged on there...how about asking him on that thread what his engine serial number is...so we can see if there might be a trend...

Thanks,
Joe
Lonestar likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:
I have to wonder now, is every SVTC with a last three digits at 500 numeral (or less) on the engine serial number going to have this....when they hand rebuilt the motors, did they NOT as procedure re-lube all rotating parts before final re-installation? With the second one...(of course, I'd love someone on that forum to ask that owner his last three digits on his engine serial number (that is important!), so we can see if this might be a concern to everybody that has a bike at 500 or less for those last three digits!!!

Chief...I know you are still logged on there...how about asking him on that thread what his engine serial number is...so we can see if there might be a trend...

Thanks,
Joe
I do “lurk” over there and “pop in” because I can’t stand to see NEW unaware SVTC owners or prospective owners get a bunch of negative info.
I did ask about his serial number so we can see if there’s a pattern.
Why His is taking a few months instead of a few weeks is odd.... unless I got the only available spare cam?? Or possibly they pulled it off another bike. It should be noted the guy having the problem is located in Canada.
It should be noted I held the old parts in my hand when I took the picture so I KNOW they were replaced!

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 08-30-2018 at 07:01 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do “lurk” over there and “pop in” because I can’t stand to see NEW unaware SVTC owners or prospective owners get a bunch of negative info.
Why His is taking a few months instead of a few weeks is odd.... unless I got the only available spare cam?? Or possibly they pulled it off another bike. It should be noted the guy having the problem is located in Canada.
It should be noted I held the old parts in my hand when I took the picture so I KNOW they were replaced!
I see that you followed up with this ChiefGunner,,, THANK YOU!! It will now be interesting to see if the original poster of that thread at "VentureRiders" does respond with the last 4 digits of his VIN. As you pointed out, that could be very telling as it could answer the question of whether or not this ongoing failure really is related to Yamaha failing to lube the camshaft on the early rebuilds as you have been told or if it is something ongoing beyond those early bikes. Either way,, ya really do have to feel sorry for the the guy over there who put up all that money and now is bikeless.. I think he should have been treated a LOT better by his dealership.
Congrats on getting yours taken care of so quickly CheifGunner!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 AM
KCW

Garage
See if you can find out what day his bike was made
and see if that coincidences with National Take Your Daughter To Work and let her build a motorcycle day?

because YIKES!

Its hard to second guess what they did when they took those 500 engines apart to replace the seal.

Its possible a few lifters got thru the quality check a little bit out of spec, and just jammed.

Last edited by KCW; 08-30-2018 at 08:13 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
See if you can find out what day his bike was made
and see if that coincidences with National Take Your Daughter To Work and let her build a motorcycle day?

because YIKES!
I was fortunate because I have a good dealership and ONLY their TOP TECH is allowed to work on my bike. They are very good at listening and not just brushing it off when I tell them I have a concern.
This guy in Canada could have probably avoided worse damage if they would have listened to him earlier!
I also installed Dimple Plugs and Fiter Mags to make sure I got ALL metal particulates OUT of the engine. Something I HOPE he has the foresight to do.

I know you’re “poking fun”, but for this poor guy this it’s devastating. IMHO, Yamaha needs to step up to the plate and insist he be given a loaner SVTC while waiting OR THEY will make his payments on the bike for him while it’s down. He shouldn’t be stuck without a bike AND having to pay when he can’t ride it.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 08-30-2018 at 08:14 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was fortunate because I have a good dealership and ONLY their TOP TECH is allowed to work on my bike. They are very good at listening and not just brushing it off when I tell them I have a concern.
This guy in Canada could have probably avoided worse damage if they would have listened to him earlier!
I also installed Dimple Plugs and Fiter Mags to make sure I got ALL metal particulates OUT of the engine. Something I HOPE he has the foresight to do.

I know you’re “poking fun”, but for this poor guy this it’s devastating. IMHO, Yamaha needs to step up to the plate and insist he be given a loaner SVTC while waiting OR THEY will make his payments on the bike for him while it’s down. He shouldn’t be stuck without a bike AND having to pay when he can’t ride it.
I agree ChiefGunner!! This is no $300 Sam's Club mini bike we are talking about!! This is a high dollar luxury motorcycle, the transaction should be handled no different than any other high end transaction.
In that the bike is "brand new" and not even broken in yet (he didnt state exact mileage but did say this all started right after the first oil change) one would expect nothing but the very best treatment from Yamaha and/or the dealership.. If they dont have the parts to fix his bike,, I would expecting a new replacement bike while they sort out what is going on. This is not uncommon in the world of vehicles.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Chief, given that he noticed sounds coming AFTER his 600 miles first oil change, I am wondering outloud with the following;

Did the mechanic, OR...apprentice,, or merely a shop hand 'gopher', perform the oil change, and did they put in the proper EXACT amount back through the accesss oil plug in the top of the crankcase? That's my first outright question. Secondly, HOW much oil was put into the oil tank...and was the bike held level on the floor via a lift, or on the lift table via the front tire 'cradle' while oil was put in, (at the EXACT amount specified between the crankcase pour in port, and the oil tank itself, and then, did they RUN the bike at least for 5-7 minutes to allow all the oil to circulate throughout the long oil path travel, from the engine scavenger pump, out the line to the oil cooler, and then the long oil pathway back to the oil tank...and so forth?

I think on this particular bike, allowing the oil, after an oil change to circulate its pathway, one to two times in volume,----> is critical for a proper oil change and final oil level dip stick check in the oil tank, and of course as Yamaha states...and we new owners all know, that the bike must be dead level, for any oil level dip sticking, read out!

My best advice to all, is that if you do not do the oil changes yourself....and follow all the above, that you INSIST, you watch the entire procedure to make sure you see your bike being kept level and vertical, when the oil is being added, and that enough run time is on that oil, for a proper course run, a couple of times, along the oil return path, so any air, etc, is allowed to be pushed ahead of the oil path, and you get a proper dip stick oil tank reading, which should (by already rider and owner histronics, be at the MID point between the high and low hash mark, and not right at the top, 'out of the dealership'

Also, to all owners, we first adopters have found that on this particular bike, you need to 'dip' the oil tank, and take your dip stick reading, AFTER any ride, and not before, assuming that you knew first in the oil addition cycle, that there was enough oil in the oil tank coming from the dealer, or your last oil change at home. This bike needs to be at full engine operating temperature!!!--------->before you take a dip stick oil tank reading. This is very important, as we all have found out by usage-ownership.

If an owner does not have a portable bike lift, one thing they can do, (and this is a cheap solution), is to go to a car junk yard, and buy TWO common tire scissor jacks, and place either one mid way point under the engine frame, and raise both up simultaneously, to keep the bike level at home, but NOT to raise the tires off the ground. That is the cheap way to do it, other than going out and buying a true motorcycle lift that can actually lift elevate both tires off the ground for tire changes, etc. I have a lift, so I only jack Charlotte up enough to keep her dead vertical, but not enough to lift the front and back tires off of the garage floor.

Another way, is for adding the proper amount of oil in both the crankcase and then the oil tank, and then with the left tour bag lid open, and a shop towel in your hand, sit on the bike, let it run for about 7 minutes at idle. Then turn the engine off, let it sit for about two to three minutes, and then with your left hand, dip the stick, (not screwed in at all) and take your reading level. That works great when out on tour, as I do this each evening after we head into lodging, and unpacking the bike. I place a shop towel fore, and aft of the dip stick to catch any drip that might come off the dip stick as I am astride the bike, and take the reading, with another shop towel (or Kleenex) in my right hand, to wipe the dip stick before putting it to the dip stick hole and then making sure I don't double thread it...and turn it 'to bed'. Just some suggestions...but I wonder, if the shop screwed up the oil change on this poor Canadian's bike. It doesn't seem to be mileage related, for even if this chap could put a thousand miles (unlikely) after the oil change before he noticed symptoms....Chief had over 5,000 miles (not kilo's) before HIS symptoms on the aft cylinder running gear showed up. So...in closing, I think that each and every oil change procedure on this bike, is absolutely critical to be done right...how much is put into the crankcase, how much is put into the oil tank, and the quality and viscosity of the oil as well.

My take, anyways....while waiting back to see what the last four digits of this chap's SVTC is. That also will be telling, and if his last four digits are over 0500, then we know that it possibly could be HOW the oil change on this engine is done...and not merely the first 500 production bikes that were re-built for the leaking crank case joining gasket. Personally, I'm really hoping that his serial number comes in at the 600 plus range, for my very own Charlotte is under 0500, and so of course if there is a trend, it will raise my level of concern, and to watch out for any signs (operational noises, not right) myself. So, crossing my fingers that his bike is beyond the first 500, which then will lead to other possible reasons (that I mention) other than the hand-rebuilt series. I'm hoping to read that....but again, so sorry to also read that this fellow and the Chief even HAD this come up. What a bummer. Also, YooperMoose has many thousands of miles on his ride...and some through grueling road and atmospheric conditions...and hasn't reported on this or the other venture forum, any of what is being discussed here. That is also most encouraging that this could be a very minor 'few' out of the thousands produced, OR...this could concern EVERY owner, if the oil change procedure is not faithfully followed EACH and EVERY oil change for the life of the motor.

Post Edit: I am thinking as coffee is flowing through my veins (LOL), that on this particular ride, ...it is in the owner's best interest to ONLY be the one to change out the oil and filter on this ride. Then...you know...you take your time, you do it right...and KNOW that it was done right...oil put back into the crankcase, oil put back into the tank...and the proper way to check the final oil volume in the tank....yep....and if going out on tour, you make sure as the owner, that the oil life, will last the tour mileage...and if not, you change your oil BEFORE you take that extended two week road trip....just so you do NOT have to take it into a shop while upon Tour. That's what I'm going to make my personal SVTC Oil Change M.O.! Yep...yep.....
Lonestar likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 08-30-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode